newcamd

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Ive installed BlackTiger3_Newcamd-5.10_SCAM-13.07.img. I've tried to updated newcam to 5.25, although Im not sure if this has worked as when I open plugins in OSD it still says 5.10?

I used Bgonasticks splendid guide.

wallycharlo

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM800 / 1m Gibertini XP
My Location
Western Austria
sometimes when i have updated cams the old version number still remains even though the update was a success

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Same problems with mine. I installed the same image and see what you see.
What is more odd when you Telnet the initial banner says :

welcome on your dreambox! - Kernel 2.4.20 (18:12:01)
===============================
BLACK TIGER IMAGE v2 06-07-2004
===============================
+ Latest Enigma 1.08 Compiled by BlackCannon 30-06-2004
+ Kernel Patched by Tiger00
+ Newcamd 5.09
+ Scam XXX
+ BlackCannon skin
+ Active EMU display on OSD
+ hard disk and usb stick support
+ DreamFlash 1.3b compatible

I have also used Stick's guide to go to 5.25 but it thinks it's still on 5.09.
It also says '1.08 compiled....' when it's supposed to be a 1.07 image.
Confused. I'll say !

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
LOL, the LCD display says 1.07 when it fires up. I'm not sure which flavour of 1.07 it is, but it's a late one, as you can tell from the newcamd.conf file. One of the settings requires a later vresion of 1.07.

As it actually says in my guide, one of the things I had trouble changing is the text on the s*ftcam menu (I can change it, but it stops the cam from working!) and the text at the bottom of the OSD banner.

It's only cosmetic. If it opens TPeeS, then it's at V5.25 for sure, 'cos no other version will open TPeeS now.

So go test!

STICK

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
Right, thanks Stick, a-testing I have been, and guess what, bugger all.
There's obviously something really really really basic that I haven't done, I can't get any joy from the blue-button menu whatsoever.
You know, I bought this monkey in September and have still to view anything other than FTA, I kept abandoning it due to all the motor probs and eventual stuck with 1.07, now with my emu probs I am becoming extremely despondant.
I will just carry on reading every damn forum I can find, one day the penny will drop I'm sure, and I will feel real stupid ! :-ohmy

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
Wobbler said:
There's obviously something really really really basic that I haven't done, I can't get any joy from the blue-button menu whatsoever.
You know, I bought this monkey in September and have still to view anything other than FTA, I kept abandoning it due to all the motor probs and eventual stuck with 1.07, now with my emu probs I am becoming extremely despondant.
I will just carry on reading every damn forum I can find, one day the penny will drop I'm sure, and I will feel real stupid ! :-ohmy
Sheesh you've had it Septemeber. I'd have binned it by now I can imagine how frustrated you are. I have had it three days. Ive just fitted a HD and had to hacksaw the holes in the mounts so I could fit the power lead in the back. For the money I must say Im not that impressed with the DB so far :(

Lets hope it can redeem itself :D

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Wobbler said:
All I can say is that by following the guide perfectly, it will work from a Blacktiger 3 image (and any other I can think of with maybe minor modifications). You must get the latest key files, or you'll get nothing. The tpscrypt file changed again recently. I think if I were you, I'd park my dish at 13E and reflash Hydra Zeus. At last you'll get to watch some stuff to cheer you up. Then you can sort yourself out in the new year. :D

Either that or chuck a Skystar2 card in your PC and connect that up for a while. It's amazing how a bit of success can get you going again...

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
LOL, ya can't beat hacking yer delicate equipment with yer hacksaw.
Yes, my DB just sits in the rack smirking at me, all I have it on for is to listen to Radio Caroline!
Knowing my luck, it will probably break down before it does anything useful, I have christened it Smug Bastard.
Oh well, back to the tablets.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi Folks,

Don't get despondent, it's a great box. Had mine since March, been thru various 105/106/107 images got lot of NonFTA on all (some better than others). Changed EM*s and K*y* in images (all on USB not in flash, so it was always safe to play). Sometimes Wow! other times bu**ered it up! Always got it going in the end, always had an image to go back to in USB while I sorted out the latest mess.

I assume there is some reason why you do not wish to move on to 108 images?
I'm using the Hydra Zeus and it's the easiest image I've ever used!
Internet update of just about everything, newcamd 5.25 installed as standard.
Once image installed, select download latest Hydra control panel - exit out of all menus - then select download Mary's and exit out again. Start newcamd and away you go!!

73 & good luck.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I think maybe 50% of folks here struggle with motor commands on the 1.08 images, especially goto x.x.

I think a good few of those problems are due to either not flash-erasing, or with some leftover cr*p from an old image on an HDD, stick or backup. Still seems a common complaint though.

Personally, I like a small, clean, stable and simple image. Not interested in pressing a couple of buttons and having it all done either. I want to know how it all goes together so that I can fix it when the blue button stops working. I'm still going to put Zeus on my USB stick, even if I have to shift BT3 onto the stick as well, and put 1.08.1 in flash.

Zeus will be good for a laugh, and for completing the required updates quickly in the scenario where a provider shafts us just before a Saturday kick-off!

Welcome to the forum BTW. Great to have you on board. :)

Pullet_Surprise

Reaction score
My Location
York's
I've got BT3 in my flash. If I want to install further images can I put these on the HD as I don't have a USB stick. Is this a whats known as a multiboot?

Wobbler

Reaction score
My Location
Essex, UK
td03-5 said:
Hi Folks,

Don't get despondent, it's a great box. Had mine since March, been thru various 105/106/107 images got lot of NonFTA on all (some better than others). Changed EM*s and K*y* in images (all on USB not in flash, so it was always safe to play). Sometimes Wow! other times bu**ered it up! Always got it going in the end, always had an image to go back to in USB while I sorted out the latest mess.

I assume there is some reason why you do not wish to move on to 108 images?
I'm using the Hydra Zeus and it's the easiest image I've ever used!
Internet update of just about everything, newcamd 5.25 installed as standard.
Once image installed, select download latest Hydra control panel - exit out of all menus - then select download Mary's and exit out again. Start newcamd and away you go!!

73 & good luck.
Thanks O Man of Mars, I may have actually got somewhere at last!
I can't use any 1.08 image as my motor control stops working, so I have used the 1.07 based Hydra Olympia.
Did what you said and lots of whizzy things took place, funny how I never had access to all those extra menus under Black Tiger.
Think I got one of the RTL channels on 19°E going, but I'm not 100% sure yet as to whether or not it was FTA.
Anyway, I feel a little progress has been made, gives me something to start playing with, thanks again. :)

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Morning Folks,

I've tried mixing 107 & 108 images using both DreamFlash & FlashWizard as multiboot managers. If you have a 107 in flash, the 108's in USB or HDD don't work at all (blank screen box frozen). With 108 in Dreambox flash an 107 in USB the image worked and I could ftp files to it but I could get no telnet connection to it. As the FlashWizard multiboot manager uses telnet it gave me some problems but you could do it that way.
As fo the motor problems, I think 'stick is right that most have been caused by failure to do a flash erase (if it's in DB flash).
I've always had my 'muck about' images in USB then if anything goes badly wrong you can always unplug it, reboot and the image in flash will boot (never had to do it though, if an image freezes the box - reboot (3 pin reset if necessary) - select a known working image and delete the duff one).
There are two multiboot managers that I have tried (may be others, don't know) DreamFlash (this resides totally on the Dreambox) and FlashWizard (this one's 90% on the PC and 10% on DreamBox but gives so many more facilities and options).
My sat setup is very simple (80cm - 2xLNB 13/19 - DiSEqC Switch) so it's easy to set up but until coming here had not heard of problems with Zeus and motorised systems.
I would recommend that some brave soul with a motorised system gets a copy of FlashWizard 4.5a (once installed on PC use internet update to get 4.5b). Then get a 108.2-1 public beta unhacked DMM image and load into DB flash using FlashWizard (you will need to input all satellite settings at this point and do a full scan!).
Then format and mount a USB stick with FW and finally use FW to load Zeus on USB (or HDD). FW can copy all sat settings and favourites to the new image as it loads it!
If you've got settings saved with DreamBoxEdit that are for a 108 image then you can copy them to the flash image to save time there but it is not good to copy 107 settings to a 108 image.

73 & best of luck folks.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Hey fellas, apologies for bending this thread a bit...

td03-5 said:
With 108 in Dreambox flash an 107 in USB the image worked and I could ftp files to it but I could get no telnet connection to it. As the FlashWizard multiboot manager uses telnet it gave me some problems but you could do it that way.
Did you manage to boot the 1.07 in USB from FWP? What problems did you get?

I don't tend to use Telnet natively much, so as long as I can get FWP to boot it and FTP my files to it, I don't care...

td03-5 said:
Then get a 108.2-1 public beta unhacked DMM image and load into DB flash using FlashWizard...
Any reason you prefer the beta over 1.08.1 official?

td03-5 said:
If you've got settings saved with DreamBoxEdit that are for a 108 image then you can copy them to the flash image to save time there but it is not good to copy 107 settings to a 108 image.
Agreed! Folks should be aware that they can't mix and match. Another cause of busted images and sleepless nights...

STICK

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi 'sticky,

The problem with a 107 image in USB and 108 in flash is that with no telnet you have to change to a 108 image before you can do any FW admin (load a new image, boot the box, wherever FW needs to communicate with the DB it can't while the 107 image is running!). It spoils the convenience of FW being able to load a new image straight away. If you are using the 107 image then you have to reboot the box and select a 108 image before FW can do anything! This is rather like using DreamFlash, where you always have to return to the image in DB flash to do any admin (add images etc).

The reason for a 108.2 beta rather than 108.1 is that I could not get either FW or DF to load the latest ruDream image into USB with a 108.1 in DB flash. I spent a week or more trying different things (and the same things over again) but during loading it would always hang the box and FW (if using FW to load it). I eventually found an image called '108.2-1 public beta', loaded this into DB flash with FW, Formatted USB with FW, mounted USB with FW and ruDream loaded with no problems using FW!!!

N.B. A funny thing. During the tearing my hair out stage, I tried loading ruDream into DB flash. It loaded with no problems. Worked fine on FTA (no 'extras' added), even a sat setup bug cured. Now this is I believe a 108.2 image (albeit hacked). I tried loading the same image into USB. Same problem as above, box and FW frozen!! Very strange. Hence the reason for saying an unhacked 108.2 beta.

These were the problems!

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
All good fun isn't it. It'll all change again with 1.08.3!

Think I'm gonna have to cut down a 1.08.1 or 2 image to look like Black Tiger 3 myself then, although there are rumours that BT4 might be on it's way. Don't get me wrong, I like the Hydra images but they're a bit toy-like for me. I guess I'm just a minimalist code type person. Guess that comes from being a programmer. :rolleyes:

Haven't seen a 1.08 image I like yet. Maybe I'll build one from the official image and bolt on NewcamD myself. Sounds like an interesting project.

td03-5

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Have fun 'sticky,

Let me have a copy when it's done!!
Long time ago in days of analogue I bought the Newenes guide to Sat TV. In it were a hotch-potch of clumsy basic programs to calculate all the things you needed to then (dish position, sig to noise , link margin ........) I gathered them all together in one easy to use Spreadsheet like program written in c and running under MS-DOS (no windows then). Sent a copy to Roger Bunney at Wot Sat Mag. He sent it back saying 'it wouldn't run on his ? (non pc) nor his sons Atari. Had I written it for the right platform'!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey-Hoe, Happy Easter.