news feeds

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

mad for it

i've heard people talking about picking news feeds up with there motorised dish before, is this still possible and if so how do i find them. I have the echostar ad3000ip with a 1.0mtr dish.

ok!!
mad.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
It's certainly still possible. There are dozens of feeds out there. Have a look in the better transponder listings (eg at satcodx). The signals are usually strong enough to pick up with a small dish of 80cm or so.

However, many newsfeeders are in the process of switching to MPEG 4:2:2 which is NOT compatible with domestic digital receivers. Others are simply encrypting.

Nevertheless there's a lot out there. Roger Bunny has a two-page spread on such niceties every month in What Satellite (UK satellite rag).

2old

M

mad for it

thanks for your reply, do you know off hand if what satellite have a web site i've tried www.whatsatellite.co.uk and .com but can't find it.

By the way what are you 2 old 4?????

cheers
mad.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
why do they feel the need to encrypt news feeds?:-O

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
their website is http://www.wotsat.com

Newsfeeds are encrypted for the same reason anything else is - to prevent the material falling into the hands of people who have not paid for it...
Actually, given the nature of such feeds (raw, uneditted, often showing presenters practising, stumbling through rehearsals, commenting personally in asides to the crew, etc.) it has more often surprised me that they were NOT encrypted.

2old
(for this...)

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
too old for what? this..? or is it this ... :-) :-) :-)

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
I think you have been hanging far too long around those satellite boards where the youth feel it necessary to incessantly replace half the letters in provider-names with asterisks.
2*ld
;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.