News on dm500s problems

funkdollar

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox DM500s and a mvision fs8080
My Location
greece
Well after lost sleep and broken nerves i managed to make a stripped down gemini image work on my dm500s.

Before continuing an advice to everyone: Never ever use a laptop with
a usb to rs232 adapter to do it.
I did :D. These adapters never work for serious things.

Some more advice to new dm500er's like me:

Never ever use a gender converter to directly connect two rs232 ports. It is very dangerous and you could fry something. A nullmodem cable does NOT just directly connect two rs232 ports .How i know the gender converter doesn't work?:D
(Joke style unique courtesy of T_G ).:)

It is possible to screw the box image when playing with the theme and gui settings at the Dream Multimedia Enigma original image. If this happens a reflash and repatch is necessary.

So after you use a real serial adapter from that old rusty pc follow everything in the One True Idiot Guide and thou shall be rewarded in heaven. The new DreamUpLan utility is cool and gives you the ability to flash erase automatically during the process. I did it also manually just to be sure.

As i am a total noob on this i now have an imaged receiver with a cool gemini image with max var space and so much to learn. I am also going to try the official gemini ones too. Of course i still havent configured the box via network since the network is not installed. Ke*s and addons are added via the network. You ftp to it and upload things to it.

After searching a lot in IHAD (www.i-have-a-dreambox.com) i found all the images and ke*s. Well it was a nice opportunity to read sth in german since quite some time. A lot of valuable info is in the IHAD database but it is all in German. So again the Idiot guide is great!

Next step will be configuring the network and making those ke*s work. For someone wanting to immediately image the receiver configure the network and make the "other" channels work i hope my experience will be valuable.

By the way has anyone ever offered modified image versions WITH ke*s? Or uploading those to the box is something you do completely on your own?

Thanks to all for your wonderful forum and support. I'll definately be back with more questions.

mhku

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM Nano ~ sg2100
My Location
Midlands
Images don't come with keys or emus pre-installed- less chance of getting taken to the cleaners by vultures, sorry, lawyers.

Baptism by fire? Must be a Dreambox :)

Welcome to the club.

bb_slave

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
samsung
My Location
greece
funkdollar said:
Well after lost sleep and broken nerves i managed to make a stripped down gemini image work on my dm500s.

Before continuing an advice to everyone: Never ever use a laptop with
a usb to rs232 adapter to do it. I did :D. These adapters never work for serious things.

Never had a problem with a USBtoSERIAL...
Neither on Dbox or anywhere else...

What type is your adapter?