Next Best Alternative To AD Sports For EPL - English Commentary - North England

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Freeview HD + Top Up TV + Broadband + Macbook Pro
My Location
Lancashire, England
Hi, I am new here, am currently satellite deprived and have been since birth. I've just started to research the possibility of getting sky/top up tv/european sky as I want to watch as many English Premier League games as possible and preferably Saturday 3pm games. I really wanted English commentary as I find it annoying when I can't understand the language but need the volume up to get the atmosphere of the game.

I started to look into AD Sports which seemed perfect - cheap, every game, English commentary. Too good to be true. I live in the North of England (Lancashire) as was informed by .....snip.... and some posts on here that i'd probably need a 3m dish to get reception at a cost of £1000s which I can't afford.

Then I read on here that the european cards situation seems to be in turmoil with all european limited to showing only one 3pm saturday kickoff (admittedly much better than none) and now heard on here that the english commentary is being cut too.

I'm considering sacking the whole idea and just plumping for a basic top up tv package with no contract and skysports 1 & 2 + Eurosport for £40 a month.

Is there a better option. Whats the next best alternative to AD sports that I can recieve easily in England? I'd much prefer English commentary, a cheap price and as many EPL games as possible. Of course I can't have it all but what would be the best option for me?

Thanks

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
There is is not one sorry all 3pm kick off's from foreign providers all have there own native language commentary, The only one i know of that shows all 380 games is AD Sports and as you found out you need a small swimming pool to pick this up, Unless you have £2000 spare and at least 2mb download internet speed as there is now an AD Sports IPTV reciever i would imagine though you would have to set up a proxy to disguise the UK IP address so that the box could connect to the server.

Your option for the TopupTV is probably the best solution or a subscription to Sky

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire, England
Wow £2000 for an IPTV receiver? Not a chance. Might as well get a City / United season ticket at that price. My internet maxes out at 6mb which is good but that's only off peak. It drastically plummets at during the day - not that it matters anyway as IPTV is out of the question at that price.

I have noticed this

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire, England
.....snip.....

Seems if I can find a reliable and fast proxy in one of the correct countries it's a nice cheap option. Of course there are plenty of streaming sites I could use anyway but the whole reason for my wanting to buy an AD sports subscription in the first place is to watch it in high quality on tv with no glitches, no buffering, slowdown etc. I can't work out if the reason for all these issues is actually just my poor connection speed or poor quality streams.

One other question about Sky Sports 2 - Is it worth getting if I already buy espn and sky sports one. Most of the games I can see are on skysports 1 here _http://www.premierleague.com/en-gb/matchday/broadcast-schedules.html

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire, England
Yeah decided to give top up tv a try. It's no commitment and 2 months of espn and sky sports 1 & 2 for free. 4 games a week + the champions league and FA cup I already get should do me nicely. Might try and sign up to AD Sports internet subscription via proxy too if possible.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
There's no English commentary but I like sky italia for coverage, i watched chelsea - reading last night.

Until this only 1 game at 3pm business they showed loads of games.

Wasn't bad price too and with aljazeera sport I'm able to see loads of matches.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I rather suspect the situation is going to get worse not better for the European pay services in the next few years - we know Viasat Nordic have just been ordered to stop showing the 3pms and its my guess that the 3pms will not be permitted to be shown live on the European services as the rights come up for renewal

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1m channel master, jaeger smr1224, Inverto black ultra twin, technomate tm-1500ci, broken receiver vantage x221ci, New additions Skybox F5s and technomate tm-5402 HD arriving soon.
My Location
yorkshire
I believe next years deal with sky, Bt. included extra games to move away from having 3pm matches on Saturday.

Let's just say the high commercial price for sky in pubs etc has ruined it for home viewers.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Whats ruined it more for the home viewers are the installers who have merrily installed thousands of foreign subscription services into UK pubs. It was obvious a backlash was going to come sooner or later.

wod

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
yorkshire
Analoguesat said:
Whats ruined it more for the home viewers are the installers who have merrily installed thousands of foreign subscription services into UK pubs. It was obvious a backlash was going to come sooner or later.

Yes this too, I only went to see a couple of premier league games last season due to cost compared with the price to stay at home and watch.

You can also see it from publican point of view 1200 for nova or whatever compared with commercial sky price, I know which I would prefer.

Iptv I wonder if games have gone this way as I'd be interested but there's the hassle of sorting a proxy to go through etc along side the equipment.

digi247

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
UK
Analoguesat said:

Its all down to Karen Murphy pure and simple, Home viewing really does not matter as we can get any type of subscription and watch it without any recoil from anyone, Its the Publicans who will feel the backlash they now have to pay the extortionate amount Sky charge.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Karen Murphy was just a pawn in the game, financed by those who would profit most from a free for all, they got a few years of massive profits by supplying these systems, but it ain't going to be so straightforward from now on.

Yes, Joe public can continue with impunity, as they are below the parapet, except that the old 3 pm bonus will probably disappear altogether.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Lancashire, England
It's had gone a bit off topic :eek: But thanks for the help. I decided to get a vpn with AD sports on the internet as well as top up tv. Depending on how AD sports experiment goes I might not subscribe to top up tv but I get 2 months free with it from tesco anyway.

Thanks!

cat010

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
xtrend 9200,dm 500hd
My Location
uk
Made In Machines said:
Wow £2000 for an IPTV receiver? Not a chance. Might as well get a City / United season ticket at that price. My internet maxes out at 6mb which is good but that's only off peak. It drastically plummets at during the day - not that it matters anyway as IPTV is out of the question at that price.

I have noticed this

the sat shop in leicester is selling iptv boxes for £1000 getting ad sports