Nexus S possible sensitivity problem

AndreB

Reaction score
Hi Group,

I would like to thank you all for the excellent information I gathered from this group while I set my system up. I received my Nexus S about a week ago and have it connected with 50 feet of new radio shack low loss 75 ohm coax to a new LNB on a 75 cm dish I got off Ebay ( the LNB only says Expr*ss Vu, D*sh Network on it so I believe it to be circularly polarized). I am running ProgDVB 4.38.6 and my location is Northern Mexico with a clear shot to the south.

For a preliminary test I carefully aimed my dish at Echostar 7. My problem is that I only get transponders #5 ( with a 30% signal) and transponders #20 , #21, and #22 with an 80% to a 100% signal and am unable to receive the remaining transponders. I have spent many hours moving my dish by minute amounts in both the elevation and azimuth directions until the signal drops off then return it back to the highest signal position( using the Prog DVB “scan transponder” window that has a large quality and level indicator as a guide).

I replaced the coax thinking it might have been bad and also tried a smaller DISH 500 two satellite antenna ( thinking the LNB might be bad) and got even a weaker signal. BTW I set up my LNB with the DiSEqC setting drop down menu to LOF 10750, circular and power on.

Is there any other setting I am missing that might be attenuating the signal or causing lack of sensitivity? I did this same test on Echostar 5,8 and got similar results. What is the possibility it is the Nexus S malfunction?

BTW the picture and sound quality of the FTV channels (NBATV and NASA) plus radio on the transponders I can receive is excellent.

Thank for your time and help,

Andre

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hi Andre, there are several different beams on that satellite and the footprints are very restricted, have a look at the footprints of the individual beams http://www.lyngsat.com/echo7.html

AndreB

Reaction score
Thank you much Rolf,
I see the beam collum now at Lyngsat, I guess I can't sniff out a signal thats not there.
I have one more question for you, When recording in MPG2 with ProgDVB the audio plays back fragmented and broken with perfect video, The original programing had perfect audio .
thank you
Andre

K

kalamar

Your problem is the LNB I have some just like it that I got from Ebay and they are NOT NOT Circular polarity ! You MUST use an old DirecTV or a DishNet original LNB ,You will have to wrap some rubber or something around (shim) it to fit the LNB holder on your dish as they are smaller. after you do this ,set LNB LO at 11250 at both ends (hi and lo) in ProgDVB then you will see all. I have been exactly where you are with this,those are old old lnbs (Expressview/dish) I have a pile of em.

AndreB

Reaction score
Thank You Kalamar,
I do have a oldD8rect TV LNB and your right its to small so I will shim it tomorrow and give a report.
Andre

K

kalamar

Just make sure the "old" lnb is good. Echostar 7 is a good satellite to mess with. You will not get the other type sats (T5 ect) with the circular lnb (why would you want to ?) but could always tape an linear on to the feed system if you want ,say Telstar 5 or something. I have a Nexus-S and couldnt ask for anything better !

AndreB

Reaction score
Kalamar my friend 1000 thanks to you, I shimed the old D*V LAN with electrical tape and used your settings then boom everything! I messed with this thing a week! I emailed the seller and he assured me it was cir.

But the B*V D*SH I have is a linear right ( and use the ProgDVB defaunt settings lo low 9750 lo high 11700 switch 10,600)?

thanks again
Andre

K

kalamar

AndreB said:
Kalamar my friend 1000 thanks to you, I shimed the old D*V LAN with electrical tape and used your settings then boom everything! I messed with this thing a week! I emailed the seller and he assured me it was cir.

But the B*V D*SH I have is a linear right ( and use the ProgDVB defaunt settings lo low 9750 lo high 11700 switch 10,600)?

thanks again
Andre
-------------------------------
tell me where to send the bill .

I knew it would fix you up as I been there and done that !

Yes the BEV/DISH LNB is linear. Also when setting up a FTA linear system, just use the high settings for the lnb's unless you are after C band too,it will save much time in scanning for channels.
Most lnb's can do a fine job with 10750 for both high and low oscillator settings. 10600 is usually for a "universal" lnb,these are something new.
The 9750 is for C band only. 11700 is right for a DisEqC switch.
Users of MyTheatre will have to add three zeros to all the above settings (eight numbers) total.
I mess with this stuff full time (8 hours daily) im disabled and my DVB card runs at least 16 hours a day and I constantly try to make improvments to the software and dish/lnbs. im not a smart ass,just it rubs off after a while.

Im playing with ALT-DVB software now and it looks like it may be going to bring up the rear,seems to be stable enough,just not good with no channel descriptions or numbers!
but they are still working on it,was very easy to set up after importing (copying) the transponder directory from ProgDVB into it. It even has UALS scanning and a very good DiSEqC section all built into the main exe file.
its Really fast at scanning for channels.just a couple minutes. well gotta go see ya later.
have fun.
73's