NFS servers and multiboot on 5620

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
PC: Windows 10
My Location
Hungary
I am trying to set an NFS server for multiboot for my 5620. I tried TrueGridNFS first, but it didn't work on XP. Then PCD suggested SFU or Omni. I installed SFU (I'm not even sure I did it right) then I had no idea how to start it at all. It looked like an embedded unix system in the WinXP. Then a fellow Hungarian dreamboxer suggested NFSAxe which starts fine, then the problem comes from the Dreambox, nfs doesn't mount. So I'm stuck. CIFS is perfect for recording but after installing another image in the shared directory multiboot doesn't work. Plus, Flashwizard 5.0 freezes at the very end of installing an image, 5.2 and 7.0beta stops in the middle saying that the image is corrupted or there is not enough room on the harddisk. (50GB is not enough?!)
I may have another option 'cause I have a Linux system too on my PC and it has an nfs server but how to start it at all?
So, can anyone help?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Hi,

Try the attached guide for SFU.

Regards, pcd.

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
PCD said:
Hi,

Try the attached guide for SFU.

Regards, pcd.

Thanks a lot, I will try.
Paul_HU

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
Hi PCD,

I need your help again! I could set the NFS server on my PC as it was written in the help file you suggested me to download. Apparently there is some communication between the PC and the DM but Flashwizard says: "File Create Error 533". No matter how I set the Dreambox (PC IP, NFS, /mnt/hdd or /mnt/nfs) when rebooting it says: "NFS mounting" then "NFS not found". Though after booting when I try to mount through /mnt/hdd it says OK (I also tried automount, no success). When I tried /mnt/nfs: "Already mounted". I checked several times the server and the DM settings and I cannot figure out the problem. (CIFS still works fine.) For sure NFS Server is running I checked it in msconfig. Windows user is "Guest" UNIX user is "root". On the Dreambox I noticed a strange thing, these attempts changed the chmod of the /var/mnt/nfs directory from 755 to 700 and I am not able to reset it. Does it have to do anything with the write error?
If you want I can tell you more exact details of my settings I just hope it is enough information.
Regards
Paul_HU

P.S. I appreciate any help coming from others too!!!

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Hi,

I am using omni not sfu since I have xp home at present. However, you do not need to mount nfs in the dreambox, Flashwizard automatically does it. Just start nfs in the pc, connect dreambox and switch on, then start Flashwizard. No need to do anything in the dreambox.

regards, pcd.

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
PCD said:
Hi,

I am using omni not sfu since I have xp home at present. However, you do not need to mount nfs in the dreambox, Flashwizard automatically does it. Just start nfs in the pc, connect dreambox and switch on, then start Flashwizard. No need to do anything in the dreambox.

regards, pcd.

Hi,

I tried what you suggested. First I turned on my PC. NFS server was running. When I turned on my box again it said: "mounting NFS" then "NFS not found" and proceeded booting. Though it wasn't thinking for too long to change to "NFS not found" message. Flashwizard connects, it recognizes the existing nfs indicating the free space and says no image flashed on NFS. When I try to flash it keeps saying "File create error 553".
I actually noticed a mistake I forgot to map the "unmapped" XP and UNIX users but after the correction it still didn't work. The first NFS connection of the Flashwizard changed the chmod of /var/mnt/nfs from 755 to 700 and I couldn't find a way to restore it. (Except factory reset). I'm stuck, no idea what to do.
Thanks for the help!
Paul_HU

tux233

Reaction score
If you have a firewall on the XP PC, try turning that off.

Cheers

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
tux233 said:
If you have a firewall on the XP PC, try turning that off.

Cheers

I have no firewall (original XP Prof, no SP2). I don't use this for the internet. Thanks for the idea anyway.

tux233

Reaction score
OK. I see you mapped Guest user to root. Try mapping a user with administration rights to root.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
Also, if you have nfs automount ticked in the db nfs window, untick it.

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
PCD said:
Also, if you have nfs automount ticked in the db nfs window, untick it.

It is not ticked. I will try another user.

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
Hello again,

I have news of the multiboot trials. I changed the user to Administrator, Flashwizard could send the image but it stopped while installing with a simple error message. I tried FW 5.0, 5.2, 6RC1 and 7020beta. Then I flashed Hydra Phoenix and tried the multiboot with it. FW now could finish the installation then froze, didn't start "initaializing flash". So I think Gemini 2.4 for DM5620 does not support multiboot yet.
Any opinion?

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
@Paul

You could be right. I will test and let you know. I have pli in the flash and a number of others in multiboot. Regards.

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
@ Paul_hu

Checked. Yes, gemini56x0 2.4 in flash does not multiboot other images, nor does it install in multiboot. Could be a compatibilty problem. As I said earlier, I have with flashwizard 5 pro, pli-5620-20050605 in flash and others including gemini 104 56x0 180320 in multiboot. You could perhaps try with these to see if the system works.

Regards, pcd.

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
Hi PCD,

Thanks for the info! I will try your setup. Are you satisfied with pli? I didn't like it very much. I have tried several images (all 3 Hydras, IHAD, Neutrino /that's very complicated!/, rudream, Jupiter, SF, Pli, DBF) but Gemini is the most stable one.
Regards
Paul_HU

PCD

DB Magician
Reaction score
I use multiboot only if I want to try something new - image, emu or whatever, otherwise with the 5620 it is easy to cause bootup or other problems. For normal purposes you can install what you like in the flash. Regards.

Paul_HU

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 800HD
My Location
Hungary
Hi,

I must bring back this topic again. After a while I wanted to try multiboot again and now the new Geminis support it. At least FlashwizardPro could install an image in multiboot, but this image couldn't start then. I was waiting for 12 minutes and nothing happened, I could see ---- on the display. What did I do wrong? (The image on multiboot was the old official 106).

Paul_HU