NGrab

NaVi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500-S
My Location
Holland
hello Guys
can any one please tell me step be step .how do i setup NGarb on Pc and DreamBox ...i tried and Dreambox found Ngrab and same on PC( that little iCon says '' Verbunden Mit 192.168.1.71''
i setup Timers .but Rec doesnt start :(

thanks in advance ;)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
NaVi said:
hello Guys
can any one please tell me step be step .how do i setup NGarb on Pc and DreamBox ...i tried and Dreambox found Ngrab and same on PC( that little iCon says '' Verbunden Mit 192.168.1.71''
i setup Timers .but Rec doesnt start :(

thanks in advance ;)

Did you install NGrab on your PC?
I did it ages ago, and it worked, but I need to check the setup again.
Don't need it anymore after I had a PC card installed on my computer.
More details to follow.

NaVi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500-S
My Location
Holland
HB13DISH thanks for reply;)
and yes i did install NGrab on Pc .and both are connected with eachother.but still cant rec anything..
and can u please tell me which Pc card should use for rec DB channels on PC ??

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
NaVi said:
and yes i did install NGrab on Pc .and both are connected with eachother.but still cant rec anything..
and can u please tell me which Pc card should use for rec DB channels on PC ??

Any of the popular DVB-S PCI or USB card can be used.
See my profile for the card that I use, but there are cheaper models.
Also if you need HD support, then the PC has to meet the system requirements given by the card manufacturer or better.

compufunk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 600-S, VU+ Duo,
Moteck SG2100, Fracarro Penta 85 dish, LG LH3000 42" TV + some computers
My Location
NW, Ireland
NaVi said:
What OS are you running on the PC? What model of Dreambox do you have?

I'm not sure about NGrab on the PC, But if you can connect to the PC from the Dreambox to playback video but cant record, then have a look at your share permissions. You may need to grant write access.

Have a look at the attached image.

Attachments

• Share.JPG
    Share.JPG
    45.1 KB · Views: 1,062

KONPETR

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DMbox Receivers flashed with the latest GP2 <Enigma1/Enigma2> Image-Releases (DM7000/DM7020/2xDM7025) ;
Motorised Dish ;
Octo LNB ;
Draytek's Vigor 2800 Security Router ADSL2/2+
My Location
Greece
@ NaVi

Those are for you the instructions to be followed step by step , in order to establish a successful "Ngrab Streaming Process" between your Dreambox-device (DM 500s) and your (Windows based) Desktop PC :

NGrab STREAMING PROCESS SETUP : HOW TO RECORD DIRECTLY FROM THE DMBox TO THE HARD DISK OF YOUR (Windows based) DESKTOP PC
- The following tutorial concerns the owners of the (Enigma1 based) Dream Multimedia Receivers DM 500/56XX/600PVR/7000/7020 [not those of the latest <Enigma2 based> Receivers DM 7025 PVR or DM 800 HD PVR).
- The owners of the DM 500 , via the NGrab Streaming Utility , can bypass the Receiver's incapacity to support the installation of an internal Hard Disk and satisfy their data storage needs.
- The owners of the other models (DM 56XX/600PVR/7000/7020) can always have at their disposal an alternative/extra "Data Streaming/Storaging Tool" (no limitations concerning the Hard Disk Storage Capacity).

Quote:
A> NECESSARY EQUIPMENT/TOOLS FOR A LAN CONNECTION
- Modem-Router with at least 2 ethernet ports (Desktop PC + DMBox)

- Cables RJ-45 (cat. 5 or cat. 6)

- A (Windows based) Desktop PC (NGrab SERVER) with a 10/100 MBit Compatible Ethernet Interface

- DMBox 500/56XX/600/7000/7020 (NGrab CLIENT) / Firmware : Gemini Project (Enigma)

- A Windows Streaming Tool (for the Desktop PC) : "NGrab Lite v1.0.3" application _http://www.eurocardsharing.com/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fsfteam.anfy.cz%2Ftools.html

- A Linux Streaming Tool (for the DMBox) : the application is already included in the standard list of the supported for the DMBox plugins (application already installed into the system). The User , in order to activate the DMBox's NGrab recording capabilities , has to locate and set up correctly the necessary parameters appearing in the "NGrab Server Setup Options" (Menu/Setup/Expert Setup/NGrab Streaming Setup/NGrab Server settings).

Quote:

B> PRELIMINARIES

Quote:
HOW TO CONNECT THE DMBox TO THE PC (LAN Connection) VIA THE MODEM-ROUTER
I> USING THE Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP)

i> Go to the configuration interface of your modem and ENABLE the DHCP option. The Modem-Router is now the default Internet Gateway
which acts as a DHCP Server , in order to distribute automatically to each device of the LAN (PC , DMBox) its own Local IP Address.

ii> Connect the PC and the DMBox to the modem-router , via cables RJ-45

iii> Configurations on the DMBox (DM 500/56XX/600/7000/7020)

Go to "Menu/Mainmenu/Setup/Expert setup/Communication Setup :
*ENABLE the DHCP option and CONFIRM the option "Enable Network"
*Connection Type : LAN
*Port : 80
Green button to SAVE the above configurations

iv> Configurations on the PC :

Start/Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection/Properties/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)/Properties :
- CHECK the following options : "Obtain an IP address automatically" & "Obtain DNS server address automatically"
- Go to Advanced/Default gateways : ADD the IP address of the Modem-Router

II> USING Personalized settings

- For the DMBox (DM 500/56XX/600/7000/7020)

The elements to be modified are the following :

- IP Address : Associate to the DMBoxes a Local IP address starting from 192.168.xxx.xxx , because this type of address is "private" and cannot be refound on the Network
- Nameserver : Set the Primary (Public) IP address of your ISProvider. You could also set the Local Internal <LAN> IP address of the Modem-router. It's up to you.
- Gateway : Set the Local <LAN> IP address of the Modem-router
- CHECK the option : "Enable Network"

PRESS the OK/Green button to SAVE the configutations.

- For the (Windows based) Desktop PC

Start/Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection/Properties/Internet Protocol (TCP/IP)/Properties :
- CHECK the option "Use the following IP address" and set :
i> IP address : 192.168.xxx.yyy
ii> Subnetmask : BY DEFAULT , 255.255.255.0
iii> Default gateway : the Local IP address of the Modem-router (192.168.xxx.zzz)
- CHECK the option : "Use the following DNS server addresses" and set as "preferred" & "alternate" the Public IP addresses (primary and secondary) of your ISP

Quote:
FOR EXAMPLE :
*Router's Local Internal <LAN> IP address : 192.168.1.1
*PC's Local <LAN> IP address : 192.168.1.2
*Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1 (router's LAN IP address)
*DNS server addresses : ISP's main & alternative public IP addresses OR the Router's Local IP address (192.168.1.1)
*DMBox's <DM 500/56XX/7000/7020> LAN IP address : 192.168.1.3
*Gateway : 192.168.1.1 (the router's Local IP address)
*Nameserver : 192.168.1.1 (the router's LAN IP address) OR the ISP's Primary IP address

Quote:
C> CASE STUDY : DM 500 AND DATA STREAMING PROCEDURE (How to use the "NGrab Streaming" utility)
Quote:
I> DESKTOP PC {the NGrab SERVER} CONFIGURATIONS (Operating System based on Windows XP)
a> Define (create) a folder named "DMBox RECORDINGS" (path of your choice) , in order to store the Data files created during the NGrab Streaming Procedure.
b> Download _http://www.eurocardsharing.com/redirect-to/?redirect=http%3A%2F%2Fsfteam.anfy.cz%2Ftools.html and install ("SetupNgrabLite.exe" file / Install Folder : C\Program Files\"NgrabLite") the "NGrab Lite v1.0.3" application.
c> Run the program (activate the application) : Start/All Programs/"NgrabLite" Folder/"NgrabLite" Application. The program has now added a GREEN ICON on your System Tray (NgrabLite connected to your system).
d> RIGHT Click on the PROGRAM'S ICON and SELECTION of the "Setting" Option :
* "Target Folder" : SELECT the Folder already created on the PC's Hard Disk ("c:\DMBox RECORDINGS")
* "DBox-Setting" : - DBox IPAddress : the DMBox's LAN IPAddress = 192.168.1.3
- Port (Listen-Grab) : the NGrab (Streaming) Communication Port = 4000 (standard) OR 6000

PRESS THE "OK" Option , IN ORDER TO APPLY THE NEW CONFIGURATIONS. The Windows Streaming Tool , reactivated , is now ready to use.

Quote:
II> DMBox {the NGrab CLIENT} CONFIGURATIONS (Operating System based on Linux / DM 500 & GP2-v 4.30 MaxVar)
Menu / Setup / Expert Setup / Ngrab Streaming Setup / "Ngrab Server" Options :
- Srv IP : the PC's LAN IPAddress = 192.168.1.2
- Srv Port : the NGrab (Streaming) Communication Port = 4000 (standard) OR 6000
ATTENTION : Server Port <PC> & Client Port <DMBox> must be the SAME <4000/4000 OR 6000/6000>
- Srv MAC : the PC's MAC Address. Two (2) ways to define it :
1st WAY : PRESS the BLUE BUTTON ("detect MAC Address") and the DMBox will AUTOMATICALLY recognize the PC's "Physical Address".
2nd WAY : ALTERNATIVELY , YOU CAN GET THE NECESSARY INFORMATION FROM THE PC'S LOCAL AREA CONNECTION STATUS :

Quote:
* Start / Control Panel / Network Connections / Local Network Connection / "Local Area Connection Status"
* Click on the "Support" tab / Click on "Details" / " Network Connection Details" : "Physical Address" (MAC Address)

After having got the information , YOU CAN MANUALLY ENTER (via THE DMBox's TELECOMMANDER) THE SERVER'S (the PC's) MAC ("Physical") ADDRESS.

GREEN BUTTON , IN ORDER TO SAVE AND APPLY THE NEW SETTINGS. The Linux Streaming Tool , reactivated , is now ready to use.

Quote:
GENERAL REMARK : THE 2 SYSTEMS -SERVER (PC) & CLIENT (DM 500)- AFTER HAVING BEEN PROPERLY CONFIGURED (Steps I & II) , ARE FULLY FUNCTIONAL AND COMMUNICATE THE ONE WITH THE OTHER. THE "NGrab CLIENT" (the DM 500) , FROM NOW ON , DETECTS THE PC'S HARD DISK (c:/) AND CONSIDERS IT AS IF IT WERE "A DISK OF ITS OWN".
Quote:
III> DATA RECORDING PROCEDURE : 2 DIFFERENT WAYS
Quote:
- INSTANT RECORDING
* GO TO DMBox and SELECT the Channel you want to record from.
* PRESS THE YELLOW BUTTON (Plugins) OR PRESS THE BLUE BUTTON (Blue-Panel / Plugins <Tools>) AND SELECT "Start Ngrab recording".

The "NGrab Streaming" process has been activated. The data file created (file's extention ".mpg") during the process is stored on the PC's Hard Disk , right into the "NgrabLite folder" (c:\"DMBox RECORDINGS").

If you wish to TERMINATE the process , PRESS THE YELLOW BUTTON (Plugins) OR PRESS THE BLUE BUTTON (Blue-Panel / Plugins <Tools>) AND SELECT "Stop Ngrab recording".

Quote:
- RECORDING via TIMER
* GO TO DMBox and SELECT the Channel you want to record from.
* PRESS , via the telecommander , THE "Menu" Option" : SELECT "Timer" , PRESS the "OK" Button ("Timer List").
* PRESS THE "Add" (GREEN) Button , in order to DEFINE the " Year/Month/Date/Time (Beginning & Stop) & Channel" for the desired recording.
* SELECT the appropriate "Timer Type".

Quote:
There are 3 Timer types : i> Switch , ii> Record DVR & iii> Ngrab.
YOU MUST DEFINE the "Ngrab" as the DEFAULT "Timer type" , in order to activate the DMBox's "Ngrab streaming" capabilities.
PRESS THE GREEN ("Apply") BUTTON , IN ORDER TO SAVE THE ABOVE SETTINGS and CLOSE THE Timer Edit Window.

YOU ARE NOW READY TO SAVE YOUR RECORDINGS DIRECTLY FROM THE DMBox TO THE HARD DISK OF YOUR DESKTOP PC , BUT ON ONE CRUCIAL CONDITION :

THE PC , DURING THE PERIOD OF THE "RECORDINGS SCHEDULE" , MUST ALWAYS BE ON THE RUN 24/7 (NO "SHUTDOWN ATTEMPTS" ALLOWED) , IN ORDER TO MAINTAIN THE COMMUNICATION BETWEEN "NGrab Server" < PC> AND "NGrab Client" <DMBox receiver>. THAT WAY , THERE'S NO CHANCE FOR "RECORDING FAILURES".

Nota Bene :
IN ADDITION , VIA A STANDARD SOFTWARE APPLICATION (such as MSoft WINDOWS MEDIA PLAYER <WMP>) ALREADY INSTALLED & ACTIVATED INTO YOUR SYSTEM (ON YOUR Windows based PC) , YOU ARE ABLE TO WATCH ON THE PC/TV MONITOR/DISPLAY THE RECORDED FILES OF YOUR CHOICE.

Quote:
REMARK :
The above tutorial has been successfully tested with the below Media Players :

1> Windows Media Payer 11
2> Nero ShowTime 3 (Ahead Nero Burning Rom 7.x.x.x. Premium Edition + Nero Mega Plugin Codec Pack 1.0)
3> InterVideo WinDVD 8 Platinum
4> Elecard MPEG Player

The sound is stable and synchronised. In case you experience "Sound Problems" (no Sound Synchronisation or no Signal Sound at all) , download from the Official Site (Media Player's Manufacturer) and install on your PC the latest associated Audio Codecs (Plugins).

MY REGARDS :
- TO THE FORUM ADMIN TEAM
- TO THE MEMBERS OF "satellites.co.uk" FORUM
- TO MY COMPATRIOTS IN GREECE

Psyduck

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox
XP Pro
My Location
Cairo
Thanks a lot for this detailed and valuable explanation. It is really comprehensive.
I tried recording football matches but it is coming abnormal. it records one second and then passes 10 seconds. for example you will find the time 24.30 then suddenly 24.40 like this all the game. Is there a solution, or is there another program to record streaming of football games?
Thank You:)

Myhd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox DM500-S
My Location
Asia
I installed Ngrab and also tried Ngrablite. It works but it is not reliable. 30% recording are OK, the rest terminated before set recording time. Is there any solution for this ?

bkharbouch49

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
hp and hotbird
My Location
morocco
_http://www.ziddu.com/download/2671420/NGrabSetup.rar.html

tuto 4 ngrab

Yacoob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Humax 5400z
My Location
Bahrain
Just one question, if I use ngrab does it stream the video to one PC or is it broadcasting it over the whole network?

Ivanovh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DEBIAN LINUX SERVER
My Location
Netherlands/Eindhoven
Thanks a lot for the tutorial !!!
Could we also use VLC player , in order to enjoy our videos on the PC's Hard Disk ?
Any further info/advice is welcome and accepted.

Ivan.

mashster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo (Open PLi) Sats: Telstar 12, Atlantic Bird 3 (C), Sirius 4.8E, Eutelsat W3A, Eutelsat W2A and Intelsat 7 &amp; 10 (C &amp; Ku)
My Location
South Africa
This tutorial is gone ... do you maybe have another link?
bkharbouch49 said:
_http://www.ziddu.com/download/2671420/NGrabSetup.rar.html

tuto 4 ngrab

infrastat

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM 7000
My Location
Belgium
@ KONPETR

Thanks a lot for this detailed "how-to" guide.
Is there any version of NGrab Lite compatible with Windows Vista ? So far , I didn't manage to find a compatible one. Is there an alternative solution concerning Windows Vista ?
Thank you in advance.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
mashster said:
This tutorial is gone ... do you maybe have another link?

It is still there when I checked the link. Try to copy the whole link (without the underscore).

I get:

Download
NGrabSetup.rar

Uploaded Date :2008-11-16
File Size : 3.20 KB

mashster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
VU+ Duo (Open PLi) Sats: Telstar 12, Atlantic Bird 3 (C), Sirius 4.8E, Eutelsat W3A, Eutelsat W2A and Intelsat 7 &amp; 10 (C &amp; Ku)
My Location
South Africa
Can someone please explain why my NGrablite gives me ERROR 429 everytime I try recording?

Thanks

mashster

HB13DISH said:
It is still there when I checked the link. Try to copy the whole link (without the underscore).

I get:

Download
NGrabSetup.rar

Uploaded Date :2008-11-16
File Size : 3.20 KB

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force Frontier 90,2xEmp-Centauri P168(28.2,23.5,19.2,16,13,9,5E,5W)
Vu+Duo2 & Now TV, Amazon Fire TV & Droidbox X7,
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
Technisat AirStar/Freeview.
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
Why bother with Ngrab ?. Far easier and reliable to record to a network share via CIFS or Samba or NFS.

LowNoiseBloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Force Frontier 90,2xEmp-Centauri P168(28.2,23.5,19.2,16,13,9,5E,5W)
Vu+Duo2 & Now TV, Amazon Fire TV & Droidbox X7,
Buffalo Linkstation,
Pace TDS850NB Sky+HD,
Ubuntu/Fedora servers,
Technisat AirStar/Freeview.
My Location
South Staffs. U.K.
A couple more points that might 'help' those with Ngrab problems 1. the 500 has notoriously poor networking/streaming capabilities 2. Recording certain footy channels can mean recording more than one pid in the transport stream. This can swamp your network/pc and give the jerky picture on playback some people have noticed. You can test this by playing a recording back with VLC and see if it offers a choice of pid.

mashster

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
South Africa
I liked having the option of either using NGRAB or DVR, but DVR works perfectly currently ...
LowNoiseBloke said:
Why bother with Ngrab ?. Far easier and reliable to record to a network share via CIFS or Samba or NFS.

raogm2001

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 500s
My Location
UAE
can any one please tell me step by spet how to install NGrab on my pc .

sortfich

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox asus p5j
My Location
greece
hey m8s i am realy new heare i have read all the good thinks you wrote heare but i steal have a litle prob:)
i conected with my dreambox 500 good i have take the folowing
1/2/2011 1:31:58 ðì [MuxWriter] started
11/2/2011 1:31:58 ðì [Muxer] started
11/2/2011 1:31:58 ðì [VideoProcessor] started
11/2/2011 1:31:58 ðì [VideoPesParser] started
11/2/2011 1:31:58 ðì [AudioProcessor0] started
11/2/2011 1:31:58 ðì [AudioPesParser0] started
11/2/2011 1:31:58 ðì [VideoHTTP] started
11/2/2011 1:31:58 ðì [VideoHTTP] HTTP streaming started successfully
11/2/2011 1:31:58 ðì [AudioHTTP0] started
11/2/2011 1:31:59 ðì [AudioHTTP0] HTTP streaming started successfully

but then i am geting the :
videoHttp 0kBit/s
audioHttp 0 kbit/s

and on my rec folder there are 2 files wit 1kb that there is nothing to play in there
any indias ?
also at my manu on dreambox mising the line withe the space of how much do i need to rec it goes right at the next one that it says for the time of the of my bar will remain on screen plz hellp me