Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
mljgmljg said:
I was looking for launch dates and couldn't find any .....

If encryption had never been an issue, 2C would have been great for the UK. It would have added 16 more low-band transponders to that location and offer a further 24 high-band transponders for back-up in bands E + F

Sadly, encryption (or lack of it) has changed this. Since 2C has a footprint that even a Porsche driver would envy, I don't think it has many friends with UK broadcasters who are either FTA or intend to go FTA and who are happy at restricting their signals to their territory. Encryption, per se, isn't a problem, albeit, I did wonder why Disney were one of the first bouquets to jump to 2D.

Anyway, why move Astra 2C to 28.2°E? For all that I have said - 2D will die eventually.({})

Thereafter, I'm sure we'll see 2E "the nemisis bird" targeting UK TV to particular housing estates, in particular regions within the territory still known as the UK.

Meanwhile, I'll be getting older, be German by nationality and technology will have moved on so, so, much that I'll probably be enjoying the (now subscription) BBC_Sports Channel & ITV_Movies on the back of shit paper.;)

Hope this is clear?

Have Fun,

Mark.

1K-R is slated for launch late 2005 from Kourou. 1L will be early 2006 from Baikonur.

2C is needed at 28E because 28E will be out of capacity early in 2006, and with new HiDef TV services launching from 2006 onwards, new capacity is desperatly needed.. And with dozens of new shopping channels waiting to join the Sky platform, transponder capacity is getting a bit tight... ;)

Dr.Roamtic

Reaction score
zorba said:
Maybe the next time they go on a space walkabout up there on the space station someone could float over to 2D and p*ss on transponder 41(are they numbered?).and 49 while your at it(itv). ;)

sure he'll return with cancer prostate ;) he might as will do humanity good and make it point somewhere else