No anti piracy measures in Windows XP SP2

PoloMint

Super Minty Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1200cc with 100,000,000,000 neurons and 100,000,000,000,000 connections
My Location
Fife, Scotland
Unlike XP SP1, XP SP2 will install on any Windows XP system, even whose with ‘blacklisted’ serial numbers.

One of the main reasons Microsoft is making the SP2 patch open to all users is the increasing risk of trojans and worms being spread online. Not only does this have an effect on the infected computer, but on the rest of the internet as a whole, Microsoft says.
source

MS seems to be taking the ever increasing problems of worms and viruses seriously, but of course this has sparked off conspiracy theories about it being a big cover story with people claiming (with out any evidence of course) that it will have hidden measures to crack down on piracy etc etc...

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I certainly wouldn't put anything past Microsoft, but having said that, they are often accused of some pretty ridiculous things by the conspiracy theorists. :)

Haven't downloaded SP2, but have SP1 on one of my PCs and the latest security upgrade on both.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
rolfw said:
Haven't downloaded SP2, but have SP1 on one of my PCs and the latest security upgrade on both.
Me too. In fact another update downloaded automatically about 15 mins ago.

Regarding SP2, does anyone know if it supersedes SP1 or is it going to be like NT where you have to install the SPs in sequence?

PaulR

drag0nfly_69uk

Reaction score
My Location
essex boy
apparently it's going to be an "all bells and whistles" release, accompanied by some snazzy musak of course, wont happen till late july though