No BBC/ITV - Silvercrest SL65 - Wexford

taxco50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Wexford, Ireland
I've seen a few mentions of LIDL's SL65 setup but no thread has pointed me to the solution I seek. Here's my story:

I bught the Silvercrest SL65 in LIDL last week to put up in a house in Wexford, South-East Ireland. Finally got around today to driving down and put it all together, and up high on outside wall.

Followed all instructions and fairly quickly once I pointed the dish in the same direction as neighbouring dishes I got a huge amount of European channels coming through on:

ASTRA1 19.2E
ASTRA2 28.2E
Hotbird 13.0E
+ some others that were preset by Silvercrest

The only channels that I was interested in that I could see were:

CNBC Europe
Euronews
BBC World
Sky News

...and they come in crystal clear!

But although the BBC & ITV channels are displayed in the "List" they are just black (There is no "No Signal" message)?

The dish is 57cm and everything seems to be working ok.

Any troubleshooting tips appreciated.

Is the dish too small perhaps?
The SL65 receiver ...change to another?
The Universal LNB that came with it?
I have tried moving the dish in all other directions.
Do I possibly need to program in different codes, frequencies...etc?

Since I do not have easy or frequent access to the setup then as much troubleshooting tips/pointers as possible would be great and I'll print them and bring them down over the next few days.

Cheers!

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
You still have a bit of work to do. When you are using one dish with one LNB, you can generally only get one satellite at a time. Thus you are not actually receiving all of Hotbird, 19e and 28e. It just appears so on the receiver because they use similar frequencies/transponders.

I suspect that the satellite that you have (going by the channels you listed) is 19e. The BBC/ITV channels are on 28e. This means that you have to move the dish slightly left (standing behind the dish/or right when standing in front of the dish considering it is on a wall) by 9 degrees, which should be between 2 and 4 inches and maybe tilt its face slightly down. You might also need to rotate ('skew') the LNB slightly right (looking from front of dish).

taxco50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Wexford, Ireland
bigtee said:
When you are using one dish with one LNB, you can generally only get one satellite at a time.

That's interesting and makes sense... because I thought it strange that I could view all these channels from different satellites all at the same time. However I as I flick through the preset channels that I am receiving a signal from, it does display the different sources (i.e. Hotbird, Astra1, Astra2 ...etc.) making me think I am viewing channels from the different satellites at the same time?.

Anyway sounds like I need to set the Receiver to BBC 1 on ASTRA 2 28.2E and turn the dish/lnb as you suggest and hopefully a BBC signal will come through. Thanks!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
taxco50 said:
That's interesting and makes sense... because I thought it strange that I could view all these channels from different satellites all at the same time. However I as I flick through the preset channels that I am receiving a signal from, it does display the different sources (i.e. Hotbird, Astra1, Astra2 ...etc.) making me think I am viewing channels from the different satellites at the same time?.

Anyway sounds like I need to set the Receiver to BBC 1 on ASTRA 2 28.2E and turn the dish/lnb as you suggest and hopefully a BBC signal will come through. Thanks!

Yep, that would work, it can sometimes be difficult doing it that way though as you have no indication of when you are getting close. It would be better to monitor the signal qulaity on a single transponder eg 10773H, and adjust the dish for maximum. You could then check if it was the right satellite by seeing if you get bbc1 London from it.

:)

taxco50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Wexford, Ireland
On Thursday I will be trying any solutions posted here once I get the chance to drive down to Wexford.

Another thought crossed my mind.. the coax cable length is 25m from LNB to Receiver. Simple white coax cable bought from Maplins. Might that have any impact due to signal degradation or something like that?

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
It depends on which simple white cable from Maplins it is.

Proper double screened 75 ohm satellite cable needs to be used. The satellite cable that the likes of B&Q sell should be OK for that length. I prefer to just use wf100 or equivalent just to make sure though.

Maplin sell FT100, which as far as I know has similar performance to wf100, but Maplin is way too expensive. Cut lengths of wf100 can usually be got for around 50p a metre.

The cable should look something like the picture below, but with copper foil ideally.

Robbo:)

Attachments

• xs17.jpg
    xs17.jpg
    3.4 KB · Views: 35

taxco50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Wexford, Ireland
Robbo71 said:
The cable should look something like the picture below, but with copper foil ideally.

Robbo:)

Looks the same, although I don't recall there being the silver foil layer. Will be checking all the above tonight.

Thanks!

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
taxco50 said:
Looks the same, although I don't recall there being the silver foil layer. Will be checking all the above tonight.

Thanks!

There should be a foil layer it could be silver coloured or copper. The picture on Maplins website is wrong I belive anyway, as the text says its copper. If you have no foil at all below the braid, then you have the wrong cable and need to get the right stuff.

taxco50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Wexford, Ireland
Robbo71 said:
If you have no foil at all below the braid, then you have the wrong cable and need to get the right stuff.

That'll be the first thing to check so.

I really hope it stops raining soon.

Thanks!

taxco50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Wexford, Ireland
Drove down last night in torrential rain. Luckily it stopped before I climbed the ladder.

After a lot of twists and turns I was getting nowhere. We have the start of the summer renters coming in today so I was up against it :-doh!. In desperation I rang a local satellite tv provider and when he quoted me €425 O-no to come out and put up his system I went back at it.

5 minutes later as the rain began to come down again I heard that sweet sound of BBC 1 London blasting through the open doors at full volume :). My limbs froze and the monkey wrench went to work tightening the necessary bolts.

It really was a miniscule difference from where I was pointing the dish originally.

Very happy now. Thanks for your help guys.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Well Done!:)

Glad you got there.

Yes, a degree or two makes all the difference.

425 euro, I bet you almost fell off the ladder.:-rofl2

Watch out though, if you are not adjusted perfectly and foul weather (wind or rain etc) could make you lose signal,
fingers crossed!

bigtee

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky; Raven 90 multi-LNB 1W,5E, 7E, 9E, 13E 16E, 19E, 28E; 60cm Triax dish on Moteck SG2100 motor; Various Receivers
My Location
Kent, UK
Result!!! :)

Well done :-righton

I can see how the threat of shelling out 425 readies can quickly focus the mind .... and .. er hands. :-rofl2

Edited: they spend Euros in Ireland

Muad'Dib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo's 60, SF75, 90, 120 (motorized),
Triax Unique MF,
DVB-S2 cards
My Location
Germany
425 pounds or euro...?

taxco50

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SilverCrest SL65
My Location
Wexford, Ireland
[quote name='Muad'Dib']425 pounds or euro...?[/QUOTE]

......Euro

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
That's still a lot of money!

Muad'Dib

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Fibo's 60, SF75, 90, 120 (motorized),
Triax Unique MF,
DVB-S2 cards
My Location
Germany
Yeah, darn.

Besides, I like the monkey wrench sentence. Good taste of humour.