no lnb load

closetosoton

More dishes than Sense.
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Wavefield T55, 20 LNB's and a whole load of analogue boxes!
My Location
Close to Southampton
In the days on old Analogue Satellite systems I beleive it was reasonably easy to blow the receiver output stage/lnb by unplugging whilst it was still powered. I guess things are a little more resiliant these days - but my question for today is: is it OK to power up a receiver with no LNB on its output(s)?

For example: if I displace my receiver to mate it to my PC for software gigery-pokery, I have no access to RF cabling, thus its desirable to be able to turn it on without plugging in an LNB - would this present a problem? To date I've always ensured a cable/LNB was plugged in before powering on a receiver.

-cts

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Blowing the outputs by plugging it in without an LNB is a new one on me! Ive done it regularly on all my receivers - and connected the f-conns whilst its on - now thats not recommended!!

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
closetosoton said:
I have no access to RF cabling, thus its desirable to be able to turn it on without plugging in an LNB - would this present a problem?

When I first started with my DreamBox, to update it, I had to plug it in near the PC (no LNB cable near) and never had a problem.

Did this many times over a few weeks.

If that helps.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Going back a few decades It was inadvisable to switch on a valve amplifier without a loudpeaker to load the ouput stage. Without the load there was a large back emf which could spark across the valves and/or transformers.

When transistors arrived the position was reversed. Short circuits were the new enemy whilst leaving the output unconnected had no effect.

What's this got to do with satellite receivers? Probably nothing.

PaulR

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
its perfectly harmless to just plug your receiver in/on without being connected to the dish.