No RF Modulated Stereo?

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
I've just had a Sony Skybox and GbSat receiver installed and it seems neither provide an RF modulated stereo output. Is this a configuration issue or a fundamental limitation of most modern digital satellite receivers? I know I can use the SCART outputs, but with 2 satellite receivers, I've run out of SCART inputs on my video. Also, I have RF feeds to several TV's throughout the house. Any suggestions?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Its certainly a problem with all of the Sky digiboxes Shaun, the only way round it is to get yourself a modulator, Philex do a good quality one with stereo inputs, RF loopthrough and integral mains supply.

PS. if you want to use your splendid graphic as an avatar, just go into the user cp at the top of the page and add it there. If its slightly too big, go to www.gifworks.com and you can resize it there.

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Rolf

Any links or suppliers of this kit?

Regards

W. Hole

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I'll have to search the invoice out WH, should be able to post it later.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Here we go Beststuff its a nice little unit.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
The box described will still not give a stereo output on the TV as only Nicam can be processed by TVs through the RF input (at least in this country)

You will need a professional Nicam encoder and then modulator, but possibly the better and cheaper solution would be to run the outputs into a decent Hi Fi system , or listen using the AV ouput of your video recorder

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Well I'll be a monkeys uncle, didn't realise that CH, just goes to show, you learn something every day. I'd always thought that it was strange that the digiboxes didn't give stereo audio on the rf side.

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Thanks all for the feedback. This seems like a bit of a backwards step to me. My old analogue PACE receiver did RF modulated stereo.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
I agree with you Shaun, but then again there are several aspects of digital TV that are disadvantageous compared with analogue TV, the ability to only watch one channel at a time is a major one, without an expensive secondary tuner that is. The way they sometimes overcompress channels, causing pixellation in action scenes is another. Incidentally, on the Beststuff site there is a nifty remote control scart distribution unit for £55, which may solve the local problem with the DVD etc.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Dear Shaun

You old Pace would never have satellite channels with modulated stereo on the RF output (only existing terrestrial transmissions running through the box would have the embedded stereo unaffected)

and Rolfws uncle is presently on National Geographic +1 eating a large banana !

Shaun

Reaction score
My Location
Hampshire, UK
Channel Hopper, thanks for the clarification. I had that old analogue receiver for 9 years without noticing this little limitation. I always assumed the stereo was both on the RF and SCART outputs. )(-)(

The only reason I noticed this limitation on the digital receivers was that I opted for a Skybox with a fixed dish and a GbSat with a Motorised dish, but then ran out of SCART connectors on my video and was forced to use the Skybox RF output. However, I do have an extra input on my video (3 phono sockets on the front), so I'll get a SCART to phono cable for the Skybox.

Just one little additional question, is this limitation the same for all digital receivers?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
All digital receivers have the same limitation, hence the new sets of optical audio outputs on some digiboxes as a recognised standard

Unless the word 'NICAM' is somewhere on the bx, it isnt going to talk to your TV via the RF lead