No Satallite signal

storlaks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky subscriber
Grundig digibox
My Location
Haute Savoie France
Hi folks, I've just found this forum and would like to seek some advice on the following problem.

I live in Haute Savoie, France. Been here for a few years and always had Sky TV. A few years back I moved house and noticed I wasn't getting all channels. For instance channel 5, sky 1 and 2 showed "no satallite signal" being received.
I wasn't too bothered with these channels, however the problem is expanding to more and more channels now.

Inaddition to the above, many more show the same signal problem :
Sky sports 2
Sky sports extra and news
Eurosport and Eurosport2
channel 4 (althought when I remove my card and it asks me to place it back in, the channel appears - strange)
Discovery Realtime+1hr and extra (just lost extra recently)
Sky 3
TSM
NAT geo
Loads of others

I've done all the reboots, checked signal quality and strength and all seems fine.

My equipment is:

Grundig digibox (4 years old)
55-60cm Dish

I'm not sure whether it has something to do with the channel frequency or polarisation. When I've tried to add channels with frequencies starting with 12.*** I get no signal. Maybe even the high 11.*** as well.

Can anyone offer some advice on why this is happening and what I should do to rectify the situation.

I'd be happy to give more information if needed.

many thanks

John.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Could be dish alignment, could be LNB, but could also be your Digibox, Grundigs were notorious for the power supply failing. The easiest test is to try another (known working) digibox on the dish, but of course I appreciate that this may not be possible in your location.

What signal strength and quality are you showing in the digibox signal menu?

storlaks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky subscriber
Grundig digibox
My Location
Haute Savoie France
Signal strength and quality is around 60-65%

Don't have another box to try, unfortunately.

cheers

dxsat

Reaction score
Website
skyinmadrid.com
My Satellite Setup
Snap's setup: (In Spain) Humax HDR, Prodelin 1.8m dish + Invacom QDF-031 + CM feed, (In UK) CallFlow VDSL + EE 4G, Sky Q, YouView HD, Mac OSX, iOS
My Location
UK: Tonbridge, Kent. Spain: Madrid.
Almost certainly failing digibox. As you have checked signal strength and quality the LNb and dish must be OK. Grundigs are known for this problem, caused by a faulty power supply. There are kits to repair it if you are handy with a soldering iron (see the Satcure web pages), otherwise look for another digibox on eBay.

storlaks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky subscriber
Grundig digibox
My Location
Haute Savoie France
Many thanks. I'll do that.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
storlaks said:
I'm not sure whether it has something to do with the channel frequency or polarisation. When I've tried to add channels with frequencies starting with 12.*** I get no signal. Maybe even the high 11.*** as well.

John.

That could indicate either a failing lnb (wont tone switch to high band) or a receiver thats got the dodgy psu as already indicated causing noise on the lnb cable so it cant tone switch.

Receivers normally switch to high band at around 11700khz

Do you have more problems during warm weather? If so it could indicate the lnb going out of tolerance.

storlaks

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky subscriber
Grundig digibox
My Location
Haute Savoie France
No noticeable difference in hot weather. However another thing that does tend to happen is that the box hangs (stalls) intermitently and although I don't lose the picture, I am unable to change channel. I then have to reboot.

Could this be related to a faulty PSU?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes it could.