No satellite signal being received

jpmoore40

Reaction score
Hi,

A friend has a Sky digibox and dish though no longer subscribes to Sky, so just receives the free to air channels. This has been fine until recently - now she regularly finds channels cut out mid program and the message "No satellite signal being received" is displayed. This seems to be pretty random and is not on all channels - for instance if BBC2 cuts out she can still receive BBC1 and channel 4, but not ITV1 or BBC3 (or some other variation). Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks for any help.

Jon

zansi

Moderator & General Globetrotter
Reaction score
Website
digiboxes.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
Openbox F3 85cm dish H to H motor, Dell Vostro Laptop
My Location
North West UK
What Make is the errant box?

The Pace 2500 ZIF tuner has given symptoms as you describe along with the early Amstrad 100.

O

Old Fred

jpmoore40 said:
Thanks for the reply - not sure what model the box is. I'll check.
If it's a Grundig the power supply will need to be upgraded.

Apart from that, it could be dish misalignment, trees growing in the signal path, faulty cable, faulty LNB, a "Snooper" type radar thingy in a car...

Fred

Rabbit

EUROPEAN CHAMPIONS x5
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Satellite Setup
System1..
Channel Master 1.8m with CM Feedhorn AZ/EL Mount. MTI AP82-TW 0.6dB LNB. Thomson Sky HD Decoder
System2..
Internet TV... Sweden's Telia Broadband service.
My Location
Hässleholm,South Sweden
Or it could be the location...depending on where you live you might be on the edge of the footprint for that particular size dish....so more info please...

andyb

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I'm just testing a Panasonic DSB30 in Birmingham UK and I'm getting the same problem.....I bought the box off ebay and connected it up to my existing dish (plus a "pouted" FTV card) nad can get BBC1 but not 2 or ITV1, but C4 and C5 are fine......what's going on?

andyb

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Alsp, on a couple of the FTA msuic channels, I can get them ok, but if I scroll past them and back again they disappear.....but if I go a couple of channels back BEFORE them...then forward onto them, they reappear!!! Is this a dodgy digibox? Help!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
When you select ITV, disconnect the LNB cable and then re-connect, see if ITV appears.

andyb

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Thanks....just tried that but still no good.....I left it on ITV through the night and when i switched the TV on this morning ITV was there!! BUT..as soon as I switched away from it and back again,.......GONE..... 'O'-red

A

arraknid

Strange considering BBC1 and 2 are coming off the same transponder! Are all the 10773H channels behaving in the same way? Last time I had this problem it was down to dish size and accurate alignment, but then I'm not slap bang in the middle of the footprint as you are. Worth checking though.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
There is a fault on the Panasonic receivers, whereby the receiver generates a spurious 22Khz tone, this causes some LNBs to stay in high band. The inconcistency here is that you can receive some of the BBC channels. Which LNB does your dish have?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
@ Arraknid, it has to be established that this is the problem first, it appears only to be a problem with certain makes of LNB, there is a list in another thread.

It may be worthwhile trying on a friend's dish to see if the problem occurs there.

dogsknob

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Manchester
The spurious 22khz that these Panasonics generate (if that is the problem), is probably caused by the PSU. The problem starts with the 5volt reservoir capacitor C819 drying out, this prevents the 5v regulator from maintaining its 5volts (this device sometimes collapses under the strain), which in turn makes the 3.3v rail start to climb. If it is not attended to, there will be other casualties. The main symptoms are severe blocking, loss of channels, then stuck in standby.

Good Luck.

O

Old Fred

dogsknob said:
The spurious 22khz that these Panasonics generate (if that is the problem), is probably caused by the PSU.
But the "Panafix filter" thing supplied by a certain mail-order company connects next to the tuner and as far as I can tell it has no effect on the DC supplies. Against my better judgement, I volunteered to fit one for a neighbour who can't solder. I checked with my ancient oscilloscope and it seemed to be damping down an oscillation in the LNB cable, which was displayed as pulses around 1kHz in frequency! The power supply outputs were "clean" in this one.

Anyway, it's easy to tell if it's the classic Panasonic fault. When the "no satellite signal.." appears, carefully disconnect the LNB connection at the back of the receiver for just a moment then reconnect it. If the picture appears (takes about 15 seconds so give it time) then this filter thing should fix the fault.

If you prefer to climb ladders, rather than solder 3 wires, then a different LNB might cure the symptom, if not the cause.

Fred

dogsknob

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Manchester
I have heard about this device but, as yet, I havent come across one. I would be very interested to know exactly what it does, in a technical sense, if anyone out there could oblige.

O

Old Fred

dogsknob said:
I have heard about this device but, as yet, I havent come across one. I would be very interested to know exactly what it does, in a technical sense, if anyone out there could oblige.
See my previous post where I wrote:

I checked with my ancient oscilloscope and it seemed to be damping down an oscillation in the LNB cable, which was displayed as pulses around 1kHz in frequency!

I'm not sure how to make it more technical than that. If it helps, I discovered what may be a circuit diagram for it here http://www.the-plumber.net/secret/ but I confess it's beyond my comprehension. I only dabble with electronics as a hobby.

Fred

barney

Reaction score
Old Fred said:
See my previous post where I wrote:

I'm not sure how to make it more technical than that. If it helps, I discovered what may be a circuit diagram for it here http://www.the-plumber.net/secret/ but I confess it's beyond my comprehension. I only dabble with electronics as a hobby.

Fred

Hi Fred,
I have a Panasonic 30 and 150 mt cable run from my 300cm dish.
If i have only 10/50/100 mt of cable i have no signal on the trasponder of 2a north beam. Can the cable reduce the spurius of 22KHZ????
Ciao, Barney

dogsknob

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Manchester
Cheers Fred, thats exactly what I wanted. I believe that this problem is repairable so I'll be making some effort to find out whats causing it when I get the chance, hopefully in the next couple of weeks. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers

Bob

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
barney said:
Hi Fred,
I have a Panasonic 30 and 150 mt cable run from my 300cm dish.
If i have only 10/50/100 mt of cable i have no signal on the trasponder of 2a north beam. Can the cable reduce the spurius of 22KHZ????
Ciao, Barney

That's an interesting question Barney and I would guess a distinct possibility.