No satellite signal is being received

montaigne

Reaction score
Our house in France has a satellite that the previous left. I bought a second-hand Amstrad DRX 400 from ebay pointed the dish (75cm) in the general direction and powered up. All I can get is "No satellite signal is being received". I've replaced the LNB and tried a different cable with the same result. Should I get some sort of signal even if the dish is not aligned properly? or is the digibox duff? Thanks

joeuk2000

Reaction score
My Location
Stoke on Trent, UK
No.. a dish is not like a TV aerial, it has to be quite pointed quite specifically the transmitting satellite, as i found out when i set my system up, a millimetre up, down left or right when aligning the dish can make all the difference. Invest in a satellite meter, they are about £10 on ebay and worth every penny. Also its worth working out exactly where you should be pointing the dish to.

See my first thread http://www.satellites.co.uk/php-bin/forum/showthread.php?t=29202 theres some links on there which give you the parameters you will need

Joe :)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Where in France are you? 75cm should be large enough except possibly near to the Italian border.

I don't use any meter except what is visible on the digibox signal test (Services->4->6). You will need the digibox and a TV where they can be seen while you adjust the dish.

See h++p://www.satelliteforcaravans.co.uk/ for an extremely helpful site telling you how to adjust the dish without expensive equipment.

PaulR

montaigne

Reaction score
We're in the middle; half-way between Limoges and Angouleme. I've looked at satelliteforcaravans and what concerned me was the bit about not getting any signal strength at all.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Don't worry about the signal strength reading, this is fairly useless for alignment. Use the signal quality reading to get the dish spot on. With a 75cm dish you don't want to make the movements too coarse, also you have wait a few seconds before moving again as the quality reading takes time to show - if it's there at all of course!

Once you get a reading of quality check the NetworkID is showing 0002. Anything else and it's not Astra 2 you've found, Usually it's Astra 1 that you find so move the dish a bit east and a touch lower if necessary.

Just go out and try it!

PaulR

eghamhigh

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
echostar 808 2CI
Matrix Reloaded Cam
Fixed dish 13E
My Location
Surrey/Berks Border
Here in the UK I use my neighbours' dishes as a point of reference for direction if I am trying to get a dish to pick up a satellite. So if you have any English neighbours there is a chance that they will have a dish pointing at astra. If you have any French neighbours they may have dishes pointing at the Hotbirds on 13E and you could use that as a start point.

And yes you have to move the dish very slowly as a digital receiver is slow to respond. Both sideways and up and down. The old analogue receivers are much quicker to respond.

I used to live in Angouleme a long time ago. Still have friends there.

Bonne chance

montaigne

Reaction score
I tried to align the dish on Friday. I tried sweeping an arc from South to East and using a meter. The meter was getting power from the cable. I got nothing on either the digibox or the meter. Still stumped.

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Just a thought. Do you know what type of LNB is fitted? If the dish was pointed at Atlantic Bird (5W or 8W I think) then it might have had a telecom LNB fitted. You need a Universal LNB.

PaulR

montaigne

Reaction score
I thought it was the LNB so I've got an MTI 0.6 db Universal. Thanks for the suggestion though.

montaigne

Reaction score
Got it! I used a satellite finder to start with and then used the signal monitor on screen. Skew made a big difference. Thanks for the help.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Well done. Feels good don't it?!