No signal at all when trying to setup diseqc 1.2 system!

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zehnder DR600 digital receiver, 90cm Amstrad dish and one MTI Blue Line 0,2db LNB.
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
Before I bought the diseqc 1.2 rotor system I had no problem getting signals from all satellites I should be able to get signals from.

However, now I've added a diseqc 1.2 rotor system and can't get any signals at all. I've read all the instructions, i've stup the angles based on my location and everything but I get no signals.

I've tried to use the built-in reception meter in the receiver and a satellites beeper but I get nothing. I've tried to change angles and so on but still nothing.

Should it really be this hard to get any signal at all from any satellite? I mean it worked before I added the diseqc 1.2 rotor system and now I get nothing. Please help, can you think of anything?

Best Regards
Oskar R

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No it shouldn't be that difficult if you read one of the sticky Howtos, have a look at my post on setting up the Moteck, you need to follow the steps, but it will produce results.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Yes, once you have everything fixed up correctly as per Rolfs
guide, it should just be a matter of sending your motor to
your nearest due south satellite and then adjusting the motor azimuth and the dish elevation for maximum signal.

Your nearest sats are 13E Hotbird and 16E.

You could check that your motor is actually passing the signals through by temporarily replacing it with your meter, whilst adjusting.

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Zehnder DR600 digital receiver, 90cm Amstrad dish and one MTI Blue Line 0,2db LNB.
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
It seams like the LNB doesn't get any power at all. However, the rotor does get power and works OK. I'll try to check all cables and contacts again...

Regarding the guide, I have read it now and it contained the same instructions as the other guide I was following..

Best Regards
Oskar R

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
I've found the error, unfortunately it is the receiver that seams to be broken... I think I might forgotted to turn it off when I changed the cables, do you think that could have distroyed the w?

Best Regards
Oskar R

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If the receiver is still sending power to the motor, then at least that side is still working, have you tried doing a factory reset?

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
No, not yet but I'll try that tomorrow. Normally I can only hear a signal from the sat beeper I'm using to find satellites when I've found a satellite but now I get a very, very load signal from it regardless of how I point the dish. I also took down the LNB and took a new cable, with new connectors and connected the LNB directly to the receiver through the sat beeper and despite that the LNB isn't on the dish I got that very loud light signal from the sat beeper. To me it seams like there is something wrong with the power settings/output from the receiver or something like that.... Can you think of anything? Do you think that resetting the receiver would help?

A person I talked to told me that I problably destroyed a circuit board or something in the reciever when I forgoted to turn off the power when I connected it to the rotor and to the LNB. However, I can still control the motor with the receiver and the receiver seams to work OK. I noticed when I came back after having forgotted to turn off the power while changing cables that the receiver had closed all menues and looked itself so I had to turn of the power and turn it on again to be able to control it after that. Do you think it could be something like a destroyed circuit board? I've no idea of how sensitive a receiver is but maybe what I did to it is more than it should be able to handle?

Can you think of any other way to check the receiver or to solve this problem?

Thanks for your reply,
Oskar R

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Most receivers have protection, and will not be affected by a short on the output, if it is still powering the motor, then the power supply is still good. It is more likely to be your connection, or the LNB.

PS. Possibly even the signal meter.

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
OK. I've tried with two different cables with two different connectors as I wrote but with the same result. Do you think that LNB could have been affected by me connecting it to the receiver with the receiver on? How sensitive is an LNB?

The thing is that I've also tried without the signal meter. For about two hours I moved the dish to get any signal from my nearest sat (Astra at 19.2 E). I also tried to connect the receiver directly to the LNB but still got no signal from Astra. One year ago when I did the old fixed installation I had no problems getting signals from Astra at 19.2 E.

Before I added the motor everything worked great, but no nothing works. As mentioned, not even without the motor connected.

Thanks,
Oskar R

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi,

The fact that your sat beeper likes to beep when the LNB is not receiving a valid signal does not necessarily prove your receiver is dead.
Those cheapo beepers/meters do nasty things like that.

Unless you have access receiver test equipment, one way to check your receiver is to to go back to your original fixed dish set-up. With the meter in the circuit, adjust its gain for the centre of its range and swivel the dish left and right to see if the beeping changes accordingly. If it does, align the dish and see if you get any channels.

As Rolf said though, if the motor's running, the 12V and the 22KHz must be getting through.

Not a good idea to disconnect things with the receiver powered up. Luckily when I first did this I kept getting a shock :eek:of the connectors, which deterred me from doing it again.

Edit: OP posted same time as me.
An LNB is cheaper than a new receiver so it my be worth trying a replacement.

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
OK, well, I have tried to go back to the original setup but without any success... Still the same thing with the beeper. Also, I have a setting for 22KHz on/off and a setting for something like "switch volt" with the options none/0v/12v. I've had 22KHz off and none on the "switch volt" option before. Is that something I should have changed when I tried to add the motor?

So any idea, apart from resetting the receiver, of what I should do? Do you thing resetting the receiver would help? Reason for questioning that is that it takes some time to carry a TV to the receiver and so on (I only use the receiver for radio). Please advise.

/Oskar

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Hello again,
I take back that last part, but I really want this to work so I really am desperate for advise. I really need help to get this to work.

Thanks and thanks in advance,
Oskar

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
Hi, the 22kHz switching is to select the required frequency block for a universal LNB. For high band 22kHz ON. For Low band 22kHz OFF. For a universal LNB it needs to switch automatically when you change to a channel in the other band.
I don't know what LNB type you have, but for a universal the 22kHz should default to AUTO. For a standard LNB I would imagine that the 22kHz should be set to OFF as there is nothing to switch.

When you added the motor, enabling DiSEqC 1.2 would have taken care of what the motor needed, so the other settings should have been left alone.

I suspect that the 12V switch is for a separate connector on the back of the receiver for controlling an external 12V relay. Normally the LNB power is labelled LNB power ON/OFF or something similar(in the appropriate language of course)

A power on reset, i.e switch it off, and disconnect from electricity supply for a minute or so is worth a try, and you don't need a tv for that.

If you really want to get to the bottom of it, maybe you could borrow another receiver and check that with your dish/LNB
then you would know if your LNB is broken or if your receiver is broken/set up wrong.

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
I did a factory reset if that is what you mean, but still the same. Is there any other way to reset it? I didn't really understand what you described..

Thanks,
Oskar

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
I meant, Switch it off at the wall for a minute.

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
OK, I've done that too. Actually, it never has any power during the nights. What do you think is the problem, the LNB or the receiver? If I try with another LNB, do you think the receiver may destroy the new LNB? What do you think the error is?

Oh, one more thing. The receiver works OK in the way that I can use it to control the motor and I can use the user interface of it but I don't get any signals. And as I said I just get a very, very load signal from the sat beeper when I connect it to the receiver and LNB.

Thanks in advance,
Oskar R

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
One way to find out is go and buy the cheapest universal LNB that you can find. Then if it does damage it, you haven't lost much.

Just saw an inverto single 0.2 dB "white tech" for 5.99
euro. May even be cheaper ones on _ebay.

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
OK, but do you think it is the LNB or the receiver? Or maybe the motor that did something? What would you have done if you had these symptoms?

Regards
Oskar

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
With the proper test equipment and training it would obviously be possible to test each item.
Without it though, swapping suspect parts is the only way to confirm which unit has possibly failed.

I would first remove the motor from the equation just leaving the LNB/dish and the receiver.
Then establish what wasn't working; the lnb or the receiver.

I have two receivers so I would swap out the receiver first.
Unless you can borrow one however, since the LNB is the cheapest part and takes only a few minutes to change, I would start with that.

You never know, an LNB change may get it working again. If not ( assuming cables are OK) then the receiver is ether set up wrong or broken. A good read through the manual and googling
for anything you don't understand would enable you to check your settings.

Oskare100

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Sweden
Hello,
OK, I have removed the motor but it didn't work. I have changed the cables but that didn't work either. I've used the settings I have now in the receiver before without any problems. Now I also tried to remove the LNB and just connect the sat beeper to the receiver, but I still then got that loud sound, so unfortunately it seams like it is the receiver to me and unfortunately I don't have any other receiver...

Thanks,
Oskar