No signal at daytime but there is at Nigthtime, pls help

abaoel

Reaction score
My sattelite dish is pointing at hotbird 13 degrees, At nightime there is a signal for some transpoders like Jetix 10723H but in the morning and afternoon the signal is gone :-doh! .

Can somebody please help me to solve this problem. Thanks

yuriythebest

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pentium 4 3.06ghz with ht, 1 gb ram, ss2, 1.15m motor dish, strong srtv50
My Location
Europe, Ukraine
what is your location and dish size?

iwol

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
channel master 1.2m dish
technomate 6900,,and invacom 0.3 quad lnb
satlook micro
My Location
yorkshire
hi i have the same problem with nilesat ok in afternoon and nightime poo in the morning its probably just a poor single its like vice versa to me sorry i cant help anymore

izefisherman

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Ku: 2.4m Aerial PFA / Invacom SNF-031,
C: 1.2m Aerial PFA / MTI 15k,

DM7020-S, DM500S, C-Tech 2100, VBOXII
My Location
Finland
This is very normal behaviour for reception in out-of-footprint areas. Many explanations for this phenomenon such as ionospheric/atmospheric absorption etc. have been presented too. My best bet though, is that these variations are due to varying attitude of the satellite.

The official footprints are based on how the satellite signal "illuminates" the earth when aimed at "boresight" ie. the decided central point of it's beam on the earth. Since all stability in orbit is artificially produced, either by gyros or spinning the entire satellite body, combined with a virtually frictionless environment we end up with a situation where every movement will continue forever unless changed by another force.

To keep the satellite at the right attitude (pointing it's beam at boresight) small trusters in different directions are fired periodically as needed. In order not to consume the entire supply of thruster fuel in a short time some slack in the attitude control must be accepted. As a result the satellite attitude will slowly wiggle forth and back over the direction we call boresight. At one end of the wiggeling cycle the signal beam may favour an out-of footprint area only to disappear there when the cycle is opposite. Remeber that signal strength tend to roll off steeply at the edges of a footprint so small changes can make all the difference. In the intended coverage area (within the footprint) users will hardly notice this effect since the signal strength there is not affected by small variations in satellite attitude.

The lifetime of a geostationary satellite is by far most limited by how much truster fuel it carries at launch and how wisely it is spent over time.

Ize