No Signal No Channels No Idea

alv

Reaction score
I've spent 2 days trying to get a signal - please point out my basic error before I throw the lot in the canal.

I bought an echostar dsb 808 on ebay last year along with a new invacom lnb (.3db) but only got round to getting a dish last week (82cm) – I decided to try setting it up in the garden before scaling the house!!

I’ve tried pointing it just about everywhere, I tried the lnb that came with the dish as well as the new one, I’ve tried replacing the f connectors and I’ve tried shouting and swearing – no matter what I do the signal strength is about 10% and if I try searching for channels there are none to be found – surely I should be able to get something even from a low viewpoint (theres not too much in the way) – am I missing something basic and foolish or is the receiver knackered.

As you can tell I’m new to this so treat me like the idiot I obviously am.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Not wanting to be over simplistic alv, but are you using a compass to find out which direction you should be pointing the dish? It has to be within a degree or so of the satellite (whichever one you have the receiver set to) to get a glimmer of a signal.

It has to have a totally clear line of sight also.

Where are you located and are there any sat dishes around that you can use for comparrison?

alv

Reaction score
I initially tried to line up with other local sky dishes - they are aiming for astra2 aren't they? Then I used a compass and tried lots of different inclinations (round about 22 degees or so) I must admit I thought if I got somewhere close I would get a bit of a signal even if it was poor - a bit like TV aerials. There are a few trees and stuff around but the sky dishes in the area seem to cope. Do you think I need a signal detector gizmo or is there another way?

I'm in Nottingham by the way (East midlands)

Thanks for the reply

alv

Reaction score
Another thought - if I connect my receiver to a friends sky set up, will it work and at least prove that it is working and worth proceeding with putting the dish up.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, try it on your friend's dish first, then at least you will know that your receiver works. :)

It is not a case of being close, or coping with trees, you have to be dead on and missing the trees.

les74

Reaction score
It would be worth trying your sat on someone elses working dish,make sure you select the correct sat in the recv menu and check lnb is configered correctly i.e. power on ect. if you dont get anything then do a search,i do no through my past set ups you have to be spot on with your dish (not like tv aerials)the slightist movement will mean a signal or none..hope this might help Les.

alv

Reaction score
I've tried the receiver on a neighbours sky set up and bingo! it started receiving channels straight away. I think its simply an alignment problem.

Am I right in thinking that I need to adjust the compass bearing by 5 degrees (so astra 2 becomes a bearing of 28-5 = 23) and can anyone tell me what elevation I need for Nottingham area, or a website to find out.