no video out picture

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
I am using a digital receiver "pentavision ci" internet date/free to air card for my pc and Although i am having problems (for now) getting my motorised system running (ie finding the arc) i am presently using the system as a fixed dish (temp) Presently i am pointing at hotbird and so my pentavision ci card is working but i want to get the picture out of the card and onto a normal tv directly or through a video etc but:
1/ I can tune in the video signal on the tv and get the horizontal bars and i can get the menu screen of my video on the tv screen but i cannot get a picture from my satellite pentavision ci card to come through the video or tv.

The back of the card has a:

I/O cable connection
remocon sensor
smart card reader connection
antenna cable

it also came supplied with a cable that fits to the I/O cable connection and which consists of:

a 15 pin connection that goes out to a vga card, in my case a voodoo 3.
a monitor connection
and 4 audio leads:

white - audio left in
red - audio right in
yellow - video in
black - tv out

i have an aerial connection made up that i use for my playstation as it has the normal aerial for a tv at one end and fits over the leads of the pentavision ci card perfectly.

I have connected the black tv out to my aeriel lead and pluged it into my tv then tuned it in with no success. at this point the card was tuned to a sat channel coming through but not through my panasonic tv.
I tried the yellow video in to the video, then aerial out to tv from video but no picture.
and i tried yellow video in cable to tv direct but nothing
what am i doing wrong?

My pc system contains:
p3, 450mhz
128mb ram, sb live card
cr-rom,cd-rw
voodoo 3 card, 16megs
6 gb hard drive
windows 95B

My voodoo 3 has a tv out so i got the lead for it and i cannot get a picture either so this may be related.
The pentavision ci is a video capture card also.
Is their something i need to fit?

Thanks.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 28-Aug-00 AT 02:13 AM (GMT)[/font][p]Sounds like your "TV out" (black) is the only output froom your satellite card. So you should concentrate on that.

Are you sure it's putting out a signal that matches the format of your TV? Here I'm thinking of a few possible promblems:

(1) the signal may be wide-screen (16 : 9) whereas the TV may be 4:3 and unable to process (even as a distorted picture) the widescreen signal. I have seen TVs "crash" (to snow) on receipt of a widescreen signal.
(2) the signal may be NTSC whereas your TV is PAL. Or the other way around. Or SECAM may be in the mix.
(3) the signal may be in RGB format and your TV unable to process
(4) the PC-card may be outputting at a UHF that \your TV is unable to tune to. Especially some older TVs have limited tuning ranges.

2old

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
a friend just told me he would let me borrow a box he has that cost him £80 that can he thinks solve my problem. I shall wait and see. It is most probable what you say is true 2old so i shall see how the box goes and then consider other options.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
a friend just told me he would let me borrow a box he has that cost him £80 that can he thinks solve my problem. I shall wait and see. It is most probable what you say is true 2old so i shall see how the box goes and then consider other options.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
just thought i would update this page as i fixed this problem months ago.
when using the pentamedia pc card you can get an excellent picture by taking a scart cable and connecting it from the out of the card to the scart video in of the video. it is possible to conect the sound card inside your pc to the penta card and output the sound to your video from the sound card or just take the sound directly from the penta card into the back of the audio video in. I am using a mono plug at the moment so i am only getting mono not stereo but i wonder if i used a stereo jack coming out of the penta card weather this would really give me a true stereo signal??

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
[font size="1" color="#FF0000"]LAST EDITED ON 09-Jan-01 AT 11:09 PM (GMT)[/font][p]I've got mine connected using the internal lead provided, but I've also got a 2 x phono into stereo minijack that can be used if external sound card connection is the only one available. By the way, are you still getting the hangups on the software?

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
hi rolf :)
yes the software still hangs on me constantly, not sure why,
just one of those thinks i suppose as it happens on windows 95 and on windows 98 upgrade also. In windows 95 when i go on certain channels it freezes the pc mouse and i have to reset machine but on windows 98 i just get an explorer box then i reset the software and it works fine. Sometimes though i have to cold boot the machine as the warm boot reset without closing the pc down entirely just causes the problem to remain. The crash also as i mentioned in an earlier post is not detectable unless you know you should be receiving the tv channel that is, as the crash can also just cause no picture to appear. Im always having problems with taquilla and palco, i have never palco to work but taquilla goes off air when the keys change and i usually lose them for a week or two even though im using the right keys. I wonder if this problem could be related to the pentamedia software?

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
I want to take the picture from my video in my bedroom (already scarted through to video and out to bedroom tv) and then take it downstairs to my livingroom, what would be the best way to do this? any ideas? Im looking for a cheap way of doing it without spending 100 pounds on a wireless remote system or something.

s*t*a*r*m*a*n :-grin

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hello S*T*A*R*M*A*N

With regard to your mini distribution system, you can buy a 21-69 uhf modulator, which takes the feed from your video and sound out on the Pentavision and converts it to a TV signal, it has a loop through for your existing anlogue signal. If you need more info, send me a diagram of what services are where and I'll advise in more detail. I may even have a modulator, but I'll have to check, they're only about £25 and either come with a power supply or can run off the LNB power, the second i wouldn't advise. The alternative is to run it through the video via the scart lead,and leave the video on AV, bear in mind that the video doesn't even need to be capable of playing, you are only using it for the modulator, then use a small 2 way amp and send 1 output up the the cable which feeds the downstairs tv..

Hope that helps,

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Thought i would do an update on my tv out problem etc.
I have managed recently to get a very good picture down to my tv in the livingroom from the video upstairs. I have a video downstairs which is not presently connected up to my sat setup just to the outside aerial and then going into my tv downstairs. I just used some standard coax tv arial cable and took it down the walls etc into the back of the tv downstairs where i then used a tv splitter to take the 2 aerials from the tv downstairs coming out from the video and the aerial coming out from the video/booster upstairs which is then going into a booster box to boost the signal further. i havent figured out yet how to get the sat signal into the video downstairs first instead of straight into the tv. One input is for the outside aerial and the other is obviously the output to the tv , it has to be a scart solution i feel. the video upstairs is the same model as the one downstairs, a jvc super vhs, model hrs6600ek it has a super video in an out, av1 in/out and av2 in/decoder. It has the facility to control a sat setup i think but im not wanting to do that as its not the solution i need at this time. Im not using a sat box but a sat pc based satellite card which is upstairs and needs to be controlled from upstairs, so i just change the channel upstairs then watch it downstairs etc which is fine.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi S*T*A*R*M*A*N ,

Thought you'd have sorted it out by now :) Best solution is to get a scart to 3 phono connector lead, then you will need a 2 phono to stereo minijack converter. connect up the video phono to your video out on the Penta, connect the mini jack to the sound card out and then the 2 sound phonos to the converter. Plug the scart into the upstairs video and set to AV 1 or 2, whichever you have plugged the scart into....Voila, satellite downstairs.

Rolf

aseman

Reaction score
My Location
London
Thats the best way rolf, but I dont think they make a scart - to - phono lead that long! Use a 3 phono to 3 phono instead (with a lot of extensions - I think u can get about 10 metres - use as many as it takes but the longer the lead, the more losses-get a good lead). At the video end, u still have 3 phonos to go into vcr - use a scart to 3phono adaptor (about £10).

Thats the way, unless you buy a video sender and make do wihout all the extensions but I got one of those and they are crap.No point unless the distance is less that 10metres(with walls). It costs abut £100 - which makes u wonder about getting a new receiver for downstairs.........

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hi guys :)
i have the picture going downstairs already and its coming directly from the out on the video directly into a 3 way signal booster (multipoint then the aerial lead is going downstairs about 20 odd meters and im getting a great picture but i want to put it (instead of into the downstairs tv direct) into the downstairs video first then out from there into the tv so i can make 2 copys on tape at once and also because i would rather not use the aerial splitter downstairs as it gives interference unless directly in from the source upstairs which means taken out the other aerial for downstairs. I hope i am explaining this right as its a bit confusing but very clear if you could see my setup :)

ps, im using av2.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry S*T*A*R*M*A*N,

I obviously got the wrong drift there. Why are you combining the signal after the video, it would be better to do it before. What would be even better than that would be to bring your main TV signal into the upstairs video first, then take it to your downstairs setup, it's then carrying everything by the time it gets to your downstairs video.

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Yes but its back to the same problem either way rolf as i still can only do this using some sort of scart solution going into the downstairs video from upstairs as there is no other way i can see of getting the signal into the downstairs video (apart) from using the scart in the back of the video BUT i do not have the right lead for this as its a standard aerial socket that has to connect into the video and take the signal back out to the tv unless i can convert the aerial lead into some sort of scart socket? either way it would not make any difference which video i used i still have the same problem of how to get the signal from upstairs to go THROUGH the video downstairs, or likewise reversing the videos so the signal from the roof aerial is going into the upstairs video instead would still leave me with the same problem. I need a scart connection at the aerial end so i need to convert the end of the standard aerial coming downstairs into some sort of scart socket. I think this could work.
Thats how the sat signal is working in the upstairs video, the signal is going into the av scart socket in back of video and coming out of the av2 giving me a picture.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Yes, that's what I'm saying S* (abbreviation) if you already have the digital receiver in the upstairs video and can watch it on your upstairs tv, you can also watch your upstairs video downstairs, then by putting the upstairs video on AV1 or 2, whichever is the one that your sat is plugged into, then you should be able to record the same downstairs.

Unless of course I'm not understanding your setup properly.

If not, then E-mail me a sketch of the connections and I'll draft out a solution, it's what i do for a living, though you'd be a bit too far away for normal service :)

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hi rolf :)
I cannot connect to the video downstairs to get any picture as the signal input to the video is used up by the outside aerial and the out is going to the tv so where do i connect the aerial coming from upstairs???
only possible input is a scart input and it doesnt fit as its not a scart plug its an aerial. There is no other way :(

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Hi S*T*A*R*M*A*N

Providing that you have a strong enough signal, you can combine the RF signal from the upstairs video with the signal from the aerial with a simple Y splitter/combiner inserted in the input RF socket of the downstairs video.

If you are able to run the main aerial feed direct into the upstairs video first, you then run the lead from the out socket of the upstairs video down to the downstairs video and from there to the downstairs tv.

You don't need to have an aerial lead to the upstairs tv, as you can watch terrestrial by using the AV and changing channel on the video.

You could also run the RF cable from the upstairs video into the loft and use a Y splitter/combiner to combine it with the aerial in to the Amp if you have one, then it would come downstairs with the main signal.

This whole deal can definitely be made to work using RF cable.

Rolf

s*t*a*r*m*a*n

Reaction score
My Location
scotland
Hello again rolf :)
I already tried to take the signal from the aerial upstairs directly into the video rf in downstairs using a splitter so the outside aerial was inputing along with the aerial from upstairs at the same time into the rf in on the video but i could only get the normal outside aerial signal to work but no satellite picture. I was also using a signal booster at the time.
Do you think running the outside aerial through the video upstairs firts before carrying the signal downstairs would make any difference? I still also really need to have control of my normal terrestrial channels from downstairs. I wonder though if putting the signals through the booster from the video upstairs first would give them an equal signal strength at the other end. Is perhaps the sat signal weaker that the aerial signal from the roof? I would have thought they were similar.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Providing that you can get the strength balances right it should work with the signal passing through the upstairs vid first.

The video is designed to allow a loop through of all of the normal terrestrial channels, so you will still have full control as you did before. To allow watching of the PC card downstairs, you will need to have the upstairs vid set to whichever AV point the card is connected to, then tune a downstairs channel on the tv to the frequency of the upstairs vid. This step may take a while, as the opportunity for conflicts is great in some areas where there is a choice of more than one tv transmitter and very few clear frequencies.

I would suggest a small pre-amp on the main antenna signal prior to it entering the upstairs vid and then a small amp after to ensure the signal makes the trip downstairs. The output signal on a standard vid is normally set at about 66db which is considered to be optimal, but does not obviously account for any form of splitting or distance cabling, this may have been the problem you had before.

Rolf