No Wembley Cup Final

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/4731888.stm

there it is O-no typical really, I'm sorry many wont like this, but if an English (and not AUSTRALIAN) construction company had been chosen, it would have been finished before Xmas, cos they'd understand how important it was to us. I hope the FA pay Multiplex as little as possible and run them to the ground. All cos we won the Ashes.

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
I was hoping that it would be finished on time and my team would get there, and id be able to go and watch them be the first team to play there.

errr that plan failed in both ways lol, my team has to get there first :)

ahh well there is always next year.

john_graydon

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Azbox premium HD+,Dusty Dreambox 7000s,& Sky HD.
My Location
Dublin....Ireland
They still could be 1st. As You say next season.

Sir Bronking

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
medion
pentium4 3.2ghz
progdvb
skystar2 rev2.3
1mtr dish & jaeger 99G 36v motor, with a superjack DP-6600. dvb-t aswell,in the process of setting up
My Location
cheshire,algeria
:rolleyes: i wouldn't mind a day out in wales

twag42

Reaction score
My Location
Amsterdam,Holland
it might be ready in time for the olympics :-)

BadWithComputer

The Local Drunkard
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
30MB ADSL ONO, Spain
32" Internet connected TV
Many Satellite Dishes.
Humax HD Freesat Box
My Location
Spain
Why did they get rid of the old wembly anyway? If there was a problem with deterioration, wouldnt it be cheaper and faster just to fix it? Now we have a new expensive stadium with no memories, and late, to boot.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I believe (along with many others), that the late completion of the stadium will soon be forgotten, if on final completion, it provides what has been promised, arguably the world's top/best football stadium.

Now whether in reality that will be the case, only time will tell, but I believe it will and this small episode will be lost as it builds its own history as the ultimate place to be playing football.

The original stadium had a great history and that will never be forgotten, as the name "Wembley Stadium" lives on with the new venue, but it was past its sell by date and there was no alternative but to rebuild.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ Pace v3, and before that analouge 80cm dish with Prima by Pace box pointed at 19.2e (not very imaginative then!)
My Location
Colchester, Essex
It better be the best EVER stadium after this long wait. The final insult, for footie fans, is that the RL Challenge Cup final will be the first sports event there. How come the expansion at Old Trafford could be done so ahead of schedule when it a working stadium, yet the new Wembley is late when theres nothing to stop them constructing/building? If you ask me, this has ALOT to do with leaving it to Australians. Yes, the workforce is mostly English suspect, but management is what actually gets things moving.

PS also remember the poor safety record, how many ppl have died building the big Arch?

london_olympics

Olympic user
Reaction score
Website
www.the2012londonolympics.com
My Satellite Setup
sky digibox, superb Sony DVD recorder, older Sony video recorder, totally crap Hitachi TV, and an awful Windows XP PC with 1GB ram!
My Location
UK
Wembley way - it's just another farce

The first people to play at the jewel in England's footballing crown could be Bon Jovi. That would be a fitting testament to a project which seems to have been living on a prayer ever since its inception.

The news that Wembley will not host this year's FA Cup Final is as surprising as finding Sven Goran Eriksson in somebody else's bedroom.

Ever since the FA set out on creating a new national stadium the scheme has been dogged by bungling management and soaring costs.

Less than a year after awarding Australian firm Multiplex the £326.5 million contract to rebuild the stadium, the game's governing body was forced to go, begging bowl in hand, to the Government for help.

To add insult to injury it then had to be bailed out by a German bank before work could finally get under way.

Even before a brick was laid the FA had shown itself totally incapable of managing the reconstruction of football's most evocative landmark.

The start of work in September 30 did not end the embarassment.

Multiplex was never able to keep pace with its deadline, suffering an industrial disputes and falling profits.

The company claimed one reason for the delay that was that the wrong type of concrete was used in the foundations - an excuse right out of the Jesse James Guide to Construction.

It suffered more humiliation when a newspaper investigated claims that dozens of workers were using cocaine and cannabis.

Now it faces fines of £1 million a week for running over deadline and is set to make a £100 million loss on the whole development - mismanagement on a grand scale.

Hardly surprising for a company which today admitted it was disappointed with the FA's decision to "transfer the 2006 FA Cup final to the Millennium Dome in Cardiff."

It seems the company cannot even get the small things right - let alone construction of the world's most lavishly conceived stadium.

Ironically Wembley, once a name that puffed the national chest with a swell of pride, now stands aside the Millennium Dome as one which evokes mild embarassment.

But the blame should not rest solely with Multiplex.

It was the FA who awarded the contract and then allowed costs to spiral to a jaw-dropping £757 million.

And maybe all the problems that have ensued are nothing more than the FA deserves for going ahead with a plan which had little widespread support from the people who matter most - the fans.

The construction of a new national arena was the chance to give the country a stadium everyone could have a share in.

Building it in a truly accessible part of the the country rather than a god-forsaken outpost of London with woeful transport links would have been the sensible choice.

But common sense is not in great supply at Soho Square.

And so we are left with the prospect of summer rock concerts rather than football marking the opening of the game's new home.

The one crumb of solace is that the FA and Multiplex will have no say in the planning of the London Olympics.

If they were you can bet we'd be be talking about shifting the whole thing to Paris :eek:

Source
expressandstar.com

RedDevil_UK

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000S, VU+ Solo2, 1.1m Dish, Moteck SG-2100A DISEQC Motor
My Location
Rochdale
been to the old wembley loads of times.... and paid top wack to view a Steel post for 90 mins!!!

so im glad its being re built.
i understand the history, but going back to 1990 when i went with my mate to Watch Man U vs Oldham Athletic, it was my mate Bobs first time.... he had always swore he would never go to wembley unless his beloved Oldham got there :)
i met him after the game and he commented how disappointed with the stadium he was.... he always thought it would be better than that, and most club grounds were better!
i agree, he was right.
So if waiting a little longer gets us a super modern Stadium, thats the envy of the world.... so be it, its about time :)
Then Bob can hope Oldham have a good cup run and he can visit the new stadium lol

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
the ultimate irony is that the stadium were moving these games to, Millenimum Stadium, was built both on time, and within the planned reasonable budget, and thats a world class stadium.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Salty25 said:
the ultimate irony is that the stadium were moving these games to, Millenimum Stadium, was built both on time, and within the planned reasonable budget, and thats a world class stadium.

Youve excelled yourself with that post Salty, not a 'slag the Aussie' comment in sight.:p
Start on the Welsh, go on, you know you want to.

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
To be honest, the FA should have asked the Welsh how they managed it, but their probably to much up their own a** to actually take the big step of asking for advice from a fellow Home Nation.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Salty25 said:
To be honest, the FA should have asked the Welsh how they managed it, but their probably to much up their own a** to actually take the big step of asking for advice from a fellow Home Nation.

Is that better than having your head up in the clouds? (at least it is light)O-Ha

Salty25

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Colchester, Essex
hehe i guess! About the Aussie slagging which I've said above, I do like the Aussies, its just I dont think you should mix them with sports, or anything mildly competitive! check out http://www.wherethebloodyhellareyou.com, the video ad is a top laugh!