nokia 9800s updating.

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
I am quite confused about this software stuff. I thought it's the Nokia's duty to send updates to there digiboxes.
Is my nokia9800s not up to scratch?

Sky for example update my Amstrad drx100 digibox.

2old4this

Honorary Admin
Reaction score
My Location
Cloud Cuckoo Land
Actually, most manufacturers do NOT enforce software updates, they offer it as an option - i.e. the user can decide when and whether to download via satellite or upload from pc the new versions. Most enthusiasts prefer it that way too (wouldn't you rather be in control yourself?).

Sky, Canal+ and a few others who are not only equipment providers but also content providers (i.e. they broadcast the chanels) have a policy of forced updates. This is probably for a combination of reasons. First, it gives THEM control of the box, so that (for example) software can be employed to defeat piracy. Second, it better addresses the needs of their mass market. After all, most Sky viewers are non-technical and not in the slightest bit interested in retaining control over the software in their box.

2old

nobbly

Reaction score
My Location
Not in UK
You can update your Mediamaster 9800S to version MA1.3 by satellite.
Instructions

Choose one of the satellites to download from.(see below)
Within the on-screen menu click "System configuration".
Then click "Receiver update" and follow the on-screen instructions
After the download click "System Information" and check if it shows: Software Version MA 1.3. If it does your software download has been successfully completed.

You must be tuned into one of the following:
Sirius 12379 H 27500 3/4 SVT Europa
Astra 12669 V 22000 5/6 N-TV
Thor 11014 H 26000 3/4 Prime TV

nobbly :+