NOKIA Digital receivers HELP!!!!!!!! 9450S/Mediamaster 9200

Zebo

Reaction score
hello everybody. i need help on nokia digital receivers, i would appreciate it if somebody could give a hand here.

firstly, ive got a Nokia 9450 S. the receiver does not turn on, there is nothing showing on the display. i checked all the voltages coming from the power supply and they are all correct. could anyone tell me where could the problem be, where i must look at least. i repeat, the power supply voltages are all correct.

secondly, there is a nokia receiver, model:Mediamaster 9200. i could not read the software it is wearing anywhere in the menu, maybe i didnt look in the right place but i checked everywhere and it doesnt mention anything anywhere about the software. but the display says FTA 2.1 when i turn on the receiver. i must also say that there is an opening for a module or a decoder in the receiver, i could not figure out. what i need here is to load the receiver with the newest possible software. is there anyone who could tell me wich is the newest software for this receiver and where i can download it from?

i would really appreciate it if somebody could help me out cos im stuck here. thanx in advance

mcruiser

Reaction score
With regard to your first question, I saw a similar problem on a 9450 where the display shows something when powered up and then changes to a little dot. It does not boot up and stays like that. I tried to fix it by installing the latest firmware available but it did not get any better. I saw another 9450 with the same problem where nothing could be done. Although I am not giving you any help here, I thought I could share my experience with the 9450.

On your second point: Though the 9200 is an older model than the 9450, it is still popular and has a lot of support. The support comes not from Nokia (they have discontinued it long time back) but from third party websites and forums, as well as hobbyists who still love it. Now to you request. The software FTA 2.1 on your 9200 is not the latest. The latest one is 2.4. But probabily a hobbyist would not settle in for this version although it is the official Nokia software. There is an alternate software called DVB2000 which is a lot better and provides many extra features and power to the user. The development of this software has also been discontinued in 2001, but you can still find it around on the net. The latest official version of the software is DVB2000 beta8. There are also older versions and many modified versions around. Here is one site from which you could get it:
http://www.digital-sat.it/nokiasoft.php The site from which I used to get the Nokia stuff is probabily down now, but here it is in case it may work at a later time.
http://www.sat-digital-tv.provider.pl/starte.htm

The opening in the box which you have referred to is the slot in which you could insert a CAM (conditional access module) along with a subscription card in the thinner slot, to watch encrypted channels. Unfortunately, for the Nokia 9200 and 9500, the CAM has to be of the older type (so called FAT CAM) and it may not be easy to find these in shops now. With this type of CAM, the subscription card does not go inside the CAM like the common CAMs available these days. The Nokia 9600 was designed for the newer type CAMs.

Depending on the bootloader in your Nokia, you may be able to easily load DVB2000 into the Nokia 9200 using a serial connection from the PC.

Hope the above helps in providing you with some bcakground on the Nokias.

mcruiser

Zebo

Reaction score
thanx alot man, i appreciate ur help. i just want to ask, to i load it from FTA 2.1 staright to DVB2000 or have to load it with 2.4 and then to DVB2000?thanx in advance.

mcruiser

Reaction score
There is no need to upgrade to 2.4 first. You could go straight to DVB2000. The thing to watch is the bootlaoder. You could check this if you observe the display during startup. If you see something like B2.00UnS you could load the firmware via serial interface.

If you do not have B2.00UnS it has to be done through a BDM interface. There is also a way to load B2.00UNnS first using a serial interface with a software called Transnbox. After loading B2.00UNnS, DVB2000 can be transferred with the serial interface. But this procedure, in my experience is not very straight forward may require many iterations to get it right. So I would not recommend it to a beginer.

Before you decide on whether you want to change to DVB2000, have look at the DVB2000 manual. You can find it on the websites. The first few pages will describe who it is intended for what features you will get.