Nokia Mediamaster 9500S smoke

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
I need desperately someone’s help. I have here a Nokia Media master 9500S with DVB2000 firmware that a friend very reluctantly lent me while his away on holiday, he said to me “don’t kill it” and guess what I have. I plugged in the antenna cable and a little puff of smoke came out, I thought maybe the smoke was from one of the heat sinks, a bit dust or something. The unit is still functioning and im still getting 13v out the antenna input but it won’t receive anything, so I took it apart and on the tuner board (G2QPSK RECEIVER) next to where the ribbon cable pins are is a burnt component L10, can someone PLEASE PLEASE tell me what L10 is so i can replace it. I cant see the number on the top now its burn

Thanks

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
If that component has burnt out then it's likely there's a fault elsewhere in the reciever, I had a Pace MSS300 which kept frying the same components that were needed to run the tuner each time I replaced them. :(

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
Thanks, it was working fine. It fried because there was a short in the LNB cable. I need to know what it is so i can replace it

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
nokevin said:
Thanks, it was working fine. It fried because there was a short in the LNB cable. I need to know what it is so i can replace it

Ah, short circuits are a pain!!! However I only have a 9800S myself, so internally they differ completely, and I don't know if there are any sites that have repair manuals or component lists available... :(

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
I've been looking about, and the only thing that I can find which refers to L10 in a Nokia reciever (9600S and 9500S D-Box) is a 68nH choke (looks like a coil I think), but their symptom was only 9v on the LNB output, not sure if it's the same for you. If you could post a pic of the remains of the component & it's surrounding parts it may help... :)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Here's the archived forum page I've been looking through if it helps (unfortunately the links to the schematics are dead):

_http://www.austech.info/archive/index.php/t-65600.html

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Of course, there's always the option to buy another 9500S for the parts and repair the one you replace in your own time... ;)

_http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nokia-Mediamaster-9500_W0QQitemZ290124424093QQihZ019QQcategoryZ26041QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
Here's a pic

Attachments

• L10nokia.jpg
    L10nokia.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 44

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
nokevin said:
Here's a pic

There you go, a 68nH SMD choke, however, that's as far as I go with electronics, so where to get one, I don't know!!!:-ohmy

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Llew said:
Farnell do that value, several to choose from, don't know the current rating of yours though.

http://uk.farnell.com/jsp/search/results.jsp?N=411&Ntk=gensearch_001&Ntt=68nH+choke&Ntx=

Llew

I'd assume this was the rating (taken from the link to the archived thread I posted earlier, didn't notice the Farnell bit!!!):

So I searched Farnell, surprisingly they had quite a few 68nH SMD chokes. But as the nokia manual says that the lnb supply is limited to 400mA I guessed that most of the 68nH cokes that were rated at 250mA were too under rated for my puroses. Only one was rated at 410mA at about $2.68 a throw so I ordered four as there was a minimum online order amount of $10 with farnell.

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
Hi all, are you 100% sure its a choke, if you have a look at the pic again are the little components next to it chokes, thing is ive looked at chokes on a few electronic component web sites and non of them look like L10 & another thing is why is it "L" 10 and the surrounding components "C" maybe "C" for choke and "L" for something else, I don’t want to put in the wrong component and cause more damage

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
nokevin said:
Hi all, are you 100% sure its a choke, if you have a look at the pic again are the little components next to it chokes, thing is ive looked at chokes on a few electronic component web sites and non of them look like L10 & another thing is why is it "L" 10 and the surrounding components "C" maybe "C" for choke and "L" for something else, I don’t want to put in the wrong component and cause more damage

Well, after reading that archived tread, they had experienced the same problem with their box as you (shorting out the cable) and replacing that choke seemed to repair it. If you measure the voltage before and after the choke (choose a high band channel first) it will show if it is the culprit as you shold get 18v on a high-band channel. :)

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
nokevin said:

C=Capacitor

L is definitely a choke. L named after scientist Lenz (probably).

Llew

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
No, that's a resistor.

Find a choke in Farnell's list above with a rating of 400mA or above (as mentioned on the Aussie site that 2CVbloke found) that will be physically compatible with the existing one.

Llew

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
I have two d-boxes here doing nothing , but the post rate to Santa Cruz maybe prohibitive

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
Channel Hopper said:
I have two d-boxes here doing nothing , but the post rate to Santa Cruz maybe prohibitive

I'll buy them, i'll PM you tomorrow

Thanks

nokevin

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
yellow import
My Location
South, Very south
Have a look at RS part number 496-1094 just copy and paste that number in any Rs site, that one looks nice and HD & its 500ma. Would that do the trick ?

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
nokevin said:
Have a look at RS part number 496-1094 just copy and paste that number in any Rs site, that one looks nice and HD & its 500ma. Would that do the trick ?

The current to the LNB should be about 400mA, so you may end up cooking your friend's LNB if it gets too much amperage (even if it's only 100mA more!!!)....