Nokia receiver help please

Per

Reaction score
Nokia receiver help please

My Nokia 9450S has a couple display that I can make no sense of and I would appreciate help with the interpretation of them. The displays includes two bars that are labeled AGC and BER. The manual explains that this means Automatic Gain Control and Bit Error Ratio but nothing else. Nokia’s web place contains only copies of the manual and no further information as to how to interpret the displays.

My assumption was that BER would indicate how good or bad a signal would be but the bar is all red no matter what transponder I tune to. The corresponding channels may be perfect or not viewable, and all shades in between.

The AGC bar is about 80-90 % red and fluctuates slightly in length.

My hope was that the two bars would assist me in positioning my antenna exactly on Astra2d /BBC but as they now work are they useless. Am I missing something?

PGH

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
I also have a 9450 and have found those two bars unreliable at best. You are quite right in your interpretation but it is highly context sensitive! So best to ignore them.

The only way I managed to get in the BBC channels was to put in all the channel data into the advanced manual search for BBC 1 London (try to do this in the evening and when conditions are good) and then press OK until the Nokia is convinced that there is a channel there! It is like the receiver gets confused by the high strength of some of the neighbouring channels! Once you have suceeded with one channel do an ordinary manual search with network search enabled and it should hit the others. If this doesn't work buy youself a signal strength meter (Satfinder or similar) for alignment of the dish. They are quite cheap and well worth the expence. Don't forget to align the lnb skew; this can mean the difference between a clear picture and a lot of annoying little break-ups.
Good luck!