Top Tip Nollywood has closed down and is now showing films.

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV with built in Freeview/ Virgin Media TiVo V6 box
My Location
UK
Nollywood TV has closed down on Sky 327. On 22/2/18 It was replaced on Virgin Media with AIT, now we know why.

At the moment they are showing vintage English/American films if anyone's interested. I assume that this is to keep the EPG slot alive and sell it on.

Searches reveal that Nollywood is/was FTA, FTV and subscription on Sky! Of course, this may have changed since Hollywood closed.

I can't check as my box isn't working, could someone be kind enough to check it's encryption status for me? I'd do it myself, but my box is faulty.

Last edited:

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Sorry we do not have SKY:cool:

and I have just flown to and spent four days in Lisboa on the savings made

davemurgtroyd

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
Oxford
It is FTA and still on the Sky EPG

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TV with built in Freeview/ Virgin Media TiVo V6 box
My Location
UK
Thanks.

It's now been renamed as Retro Movies. It's crossed my mind that it might not be a placeholding channel as whoever is running it might have noticed the success of Talking Pictures TV.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
It seems to be showing the same old out of copyright drivel that Open Access & Bonanza Bonanza have shown on several occasions in the past.

Ergo its a placeholder channel whilst someone (probably Canis Media) flog the epg off to whichever company is next on the waiting list of wanting an SD epg.

Data123

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Golden Interstar Alpha X
65cm
My Location
leeds
Retro Movies have gone from Sky 327

paulvr

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dr.HD and Topfield
300 cm Unimesh C-Band on AJAK H2H mount
180 cm prime focus Ku-Band on AJAK H2H mount
My Location
Netherlands
Remembering the early "good old days", the time of the early 80's when there were just three Ku-Band satellites one could see. 27,5 West with Première and Mirror Vision, British pay tv channels that initially weren't encrypted because almost no one had a satellite dish, Eutelsat 1, since then renamed Hot Bird with a.o. RAI Uno and later on Due, and the Germans on 60 degrees East. The latter one with a channel named "Eureka" that showed enormous amounts of english children and teenage films of the 50's and 60's in daytime. I had no idea that there was such a flood of really good films made for children from Great Britain. Ok, it's meanwhile more than 35 years ago that such things were shown, but I do wonder how much interest there might be nowadays, especially in case there are no more copyrights to speak of so the broadcasting wouldn't be costly. Of course I don't really remember any commercial interruptions on Eureka TV so where they got the money to do what they did, I have no idea. But it would have been a good idea to try, vintage children films in daytime, vintage adult material at night, wouldn't it? (oops, by adult I mean just that, not mature content).

Funny, I just see that the normal four letter word I used is replaced by "mature content" on this site. Overly sensitive I guess?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I had no idea that there was such a flood of really good films made for children from Great Britain. Ok, it's meanwhile more than 35 years ago that such things were shown, but I do wonder how much interest there might be nowadays, especially in case there are no more copyrights to speak of so the broadcasting wouldn't be costly.

Copyright law in the UK would disagree with you!

Type of work How long copyright usually lasts

Written, dramatic, musical and artistic work 70 years after the author’s death
Sound and music recording 70 years from when it’s first published
Films 70 years after the death of the director, screenplay author and composer
Broadcasts 50 years from when it’s first broadcast

Source: How copyright protects your work

And of course where these old programmes / films are concerned they all have to be checked they are cleared for reshowing - actors or if they have died their estates, musicians, music authors etc - all have to be cleared. This is not a cheap process which is why its often too much trouble to get old series sorted for DVD release - especially where paperwork has gone missing as tv companies have closed / amalgamated etc..

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Funny, I just see that the normal four letter word I used is replaced by "mature content" on this site. Overly sensitive I guess?

Not really - we have a general profanity filter in place as we have an audience of all ages. Everyone gets caught out by it sooner or later :)

Lazarus

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
80cm Motorised.
Several small Dishes.
Much else.
My Location
North York Moors
Do they flip!