Noob needs advice

Keepitsimple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Greek nova box
My Location
Greece
First off its nice to be here and look forward too interacting with members.
I live in Greece i have a nova box and about 1 month ago it started losing signal so i went up to check it only to find the cable was weather worn and the lnb connector had some how come loose i tried to reconect but some how the thread had been threaded on lnb. So thinking this would be an fix i bought cable and a new lnb so i connected everything thinking it was pretty easy fix i went back down to the box expecting find tv playing all i got was a message
"No channels"
Make sure you have a TV-signal and then perform a new channel search.

One thing i see is when i turn on my box the signal light goes from green to orange. Any advice or input would be much appreciated.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Welcome to the forum.
If this is the first time that you've connected a cable check that the braid hasn't become damaged, when fitting the F Connector.
Fitting F Connector.jpg

Do you have a signal meter, even a very cheap one can help with an installation.
satellite meter.JPG
Can you check your receiver on a friend, or family members, satellite system, to see if it is still working?

Keepitsimple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Greek nova box
My Location
Greece
Thank you for replying.
This is my first time doing anything with a satellite. I will recheck the braid also i dont own one of those signal meters im thinking getting one if u could point me to some kind of tutorial on how to use it would be much appreciated.
I should mention ive had this dish for 15 years and this is the first time ive had any problems.
Thanks again.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
The one posted is very basic, you simply attach one lead, from the LNB, to the LNB port, on the meter, and the other end attaches to the cable, in your receiver.
When you turn on the receiver the light, on the meter, should light up, if everything is working.
You then use the knob, or sometimes buttons, to increase/decrease the sensitivity, of the meter, so that you can adjust the dish, to maximise the signal quality.
I should think that the dish should be fine, the meter will confirm if everything is working, by lighting up, and for between £6-£10, it's worth getting one.

Keepitsimple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Greek nova box
My Location
Greece
Im looking at getting a cheap one.
When i scan for channels on my box should i scan for satellite only or satellite and DTT.
Much appreciated.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
DTT is Digital Terrestrial, and comes from your roof aerial, or cable, not your satellite dish.
You shouldn't need to scan as all the channels should already be there, unless you've run a scan, and wiped out your stored channels.

Keepitsimple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Greek nova box
My Location
Greece
DTT is Digital Terrestrial, and comes from your roof aerial, or cable, not your satellite dish.
You shouldn't need to scan as all the channels should already be there, unless you've run a scan, and wiped out your stored channels
Yeah i think thats i did wiped out the channels i had from my provider.
God im such a douche bag.
So i checked the braid it appears i screwed it up redid it again now i have signal but i wiped my stored channels not sure how i would get them back.

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Can you please post more details regarding your receiver.
Is this an official receiver for viewing the Nova package on 13E?
Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/packages/Nova.html

You can probably manually scan them in or do a satellite search for 13E, although that will give you a lot of extra channels, that you might not want:
Code:
https://www.lyngsat.com/Hotbird-13B-13C-13E.html

Keepitsimple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Greek nova box
My Location
Greece
UPDATE!!!
So everything is working now business as usual the missus is happy. Happy wife happy life.
I would like too thank Mickha for his help without it id be still looking at a blank screen.
Im also interested learning more like how to use a satellite finder and how to correctly install a dish the different connectors used etc etc
Thanks again for your help .

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Happy to hear that you're running again.
We have quite a few guides, on setting up dishes, and all members will help, if you run into any problems:

Keepitsimple

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Greek nova box
My Location
Greece
So i have another question
Just lately where i live its been really windy and my signal drops is there a way to stop this?

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
North West
Check that your dish is still secure, and aligned correctly, also check that your cable, connected to your LNB, hasn't come loose.

william-1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
OP Gibertini 100 XP+ Inverto Black Ultra Lnb
Superior Dark Motor (160° max)
(50 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+Optima (A/B switch) Edision primo IP S2

Raven 88cm Mesh Dish + IBU Twin output
Stab100 H to H (120° max)
(53 east to 45 west)
Octagon SX88+ Ultra HD (A/B switch) Golden Interstar Alpha_X
My Location
Epping Forest Essex
You can stop some wind resistance by choosing a less exposed area for your dish or improve you current position by adding a higher fence behind your dish if it is ground based as mine see below:-

DSCN3189.JPG