nOOb seeking advice......

RedFrame

Reaction score
Hi, I've just purchased a Sat receiver (or is it called a decoder?) for my PC but there's bugger all documentation with it on connecting up to the dish. We already have s*y digital in the front room but what I'd like to be able to do is to connect up the PC and "serve" other PC's throughout the house with different channels using the IP network. I don't want to loose the service to the front room but replacing the digi box with a pc is not out of the question.

Any advice or links to helpfull sites would be gladly received!

Thanks.

Llew

cerca trova...
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Triple Dragon, Dreambox 8000, Echostar AD3000ip, TBS6522,6925,6983 PCie cards.
Gibertini 1.25m motorised dish driven by the AD3000, with either Inverto BU Quad or Norsat / XMW Ka LNBs . SMW 1.05m + 3 other dishes. Speccy: Promax HD Ranger+
My Location
The Flatlands of East Anglia
RedFrame said:
Hi, I've just purchased a Sat receiver (or is it called a decoder?) for my PC but there's bugger all documentation with it on connecting up to the dish. We already have s*y digital in the front room but what I'd like to be able to do is to connect up the PC and "serve" other PC's throughout the house with different channels using the IP network. I don't want to loose the service to the front room but replacing the digi box with a pc is not out of the question.

Any advice or links to helpfull sites would be gladly received!

Thanks.
Hi RedFrame, welcome to the Forum.

If you mean you have purchased a satellite PC card, you will not be able to decrypt BS*yB digital with it.

Your card can only receive one channel at a time, so you even if you could distribute to other PC's you would be stuck with only the one channel.

What PC card have you got? There should be information on setting it up on the manufacturer's website.

Llew

RedFrame

Reaction score
Llew said:
What PC card have you got? There should be information on setting it up on the manufacturer's website.
Llew

Thanks for your response, it's a "Pinnacle PCTV Sat CI". I've found that I will either need a new "LNB"? which provides dual output (£70.00) or a second dish/lnb to feed the card (£30.00), is that correct? If so which option would you guys recommend?

The website doesn't seem to offer much in the way of advice.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The way I see it, to keep S*y you have the choice of having a second dish - most pepole don't want that.

Or

You could fit a larger dish and point it at the existing S*y satellite and a second offset LNB at say Hotbird feeding the PC.

RedFrame

Reaction score
modern said:
You need to get a twin or Quad LNB and the 28e FTA channel lineup is very poor why dont you move it to another satellite such as Hotbird or 1west but this means you have to move your dish

gameboy said:
The way I see it, to keep S*y you have the choice of having a second dish - most pepole don't want that.

Ok, so...... A second dish I don't mind, but how the heck do I feed different channels through the house without having co-ax running everywhere, It must be possible to pump the feeds over an IP network (maybe not with the kit i've got, but it must be possible)...!

Does 28e refer to the sat that my current dish is pointed at? and is FTA "Free to Air"...?

Sorry but as the title says I'm a complete nOOb to this :confused and until i understand more need the techie stuff explaining....lol

Thanks for your help.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
RedFrame said:
It must be possible to pump the feeds over an IP network

Possible but only to PCs You could feed it to several TVs through coaxial - From PC to video and then to TVs this would allow you to change the RF frequency.

Does 28e refer to the sat that my current dish is pointed at? and is FTA "Free to Air"...?

Yes, to both. 28.2 deg East is the position of the S*y digital and other services satellites.

RedFrame

Reaction score
gameboy said:
Possible but only to PCs

This is exactly what I want to do:)! As the kids are growing they're asking for PS/2's, XBoxe's, S*y (for MTV), DVD players, TV's, Music Centre's...the list goes on...O-no

My thinking is to give them a PC each, which will play all their games, music and provide sat channels too, all over 11g so no wires.....:D

Gameboy, can you expand....? How can I achieve this, i.e. do I need a dish with an LMB that will support the number of channels I want to "serve" and iff so will I then need four PCTV sat cards installed in my "server"....?

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Hi Redframe

As gameboy says, your feed to PCs won't allow you to change channels at the target PCs as you would only see whatever channel the Pinnacle is set to and that's provided the signal can be routed how you wish.

The sky digi box has a second coax output connection for feeding 'other rooms' but you will have to run it through coax cable. I have a distribution system for sat and terrestrial TV in my loft so have a 'drop' cable in each room (via the cavity walls).

G

guest user

Im into sat stuff just for mtvs I can get

mtv germany
mtv base
mtv hits
mtv france
mtv spain
vh1
vh1 classic
tmf nl

all with a skystar2 aimed at astra1 19.2e

note that mtv germany and mtv2pop are free to air so you could get hold of digital sat set what would pick them up for free forever for under £100 too its all in english just with german subs mtv de shows stuff like cribs,osbournes plus that newleyweds crap

remember with a skystar u need to update the files monthly so im not sure if your IP network is a good idea

RedFrame

Reaction score
jimbo said:
your feed to PCs won't allow you to change channels at the target PCs as you would only see whatever channel the Pinnacle is set to and that's provided the signal can be routed how you wish.

modern said:
mtv de shows stuff like cribs,osbournes plus that newleyweds crap

remember with a skystar u need to update the files monthly so im not sure if your IP network is a good idea

Thanks guys a couple more questions if you don't mind....

Jimbo.

I think I'm right in believing that I need a Multi LMB and Multiple cards in the server for each channel..tell me if I'm wrong....;)

How can I find out if I can pump TV over a computer network, I must be able to as it was done all over the country in companies when the world cup was on....

modern

Well that set of programs sorts out my 13yr old daughter's requirements...O-Ha

Can you explain your skystar and updating files comment, sorry I don't understand....

G

guest user

sorry m8 i mean at Astra1 I use progdvb with the lastest files but you got to be careful what you say on these forums i use dvb.lv to get them but im saying mtv germany and mtvpop are fta what require no files cards ect... so you could buy a fta reciever just to pick them up

If you wanted to Astra1 is quite a strong sat you could move your current minidish to Astra1 what dead easy then be watching digital+ and some mtv channels :D plus all the german stuff

Make sure the elevation is 31 degress and say if you was standing behind the dish you would keep moving it right and before u know it you will have a signal say basicly your moving it from astra2 28e to astra1 19.2 degress east you make sure your transponder is on t.tv

but if you want hotbird or 1west you least need a 70cm dish

remember if you only got 1 dvb card only every one can watch one channel at the same time. There is a stream thingy on progdvb but i havnt used it and u can set a ip address over a network to watch it

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
RedFrame

One universal LNB will get you all channels on all satellites within range. When I say 'get you' I mean you will see the transmission for channels which are either unencrypted or encrypted but for which you have a card. Otherwise encypted channels will be 'there' but will be unwatchable.

I have a 1mtr dish on an Echostar 3000ipVA and can get channels from sats which are positioned anywhere between 42deg E and 42deg W. Then the provisions I've outlined above apply.

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
PCI cards in each computer (you can't need that many !) & LNB loop through
with ProgDVB (or your choice) will get everybody everything (bar encrypted $ly of course) :)
Just a thought..

L