Norris McWhirter Dies

N

net1

Norris McWhirter, founder of the Guinness Book of Records, has died aged 78 after suffering a heart attack, his family announced today.

Mr McWhirter fell ill while playing tennis at his Wiltshire home yesterday evening, a spokeswoman for the family said.

The founder editor of the Guinness Book of Records, Mr McWhirter appeared regularly on the BBC children's show Record Breakers.

Mr McWhirter's family said in a statement: "Norris cared passionately about Great Britain, democracy and the rule of law and was always active in politics, but usually behind the scenes.

"The two things he attached most importance to were the freedom of the individual and the sovereignty of the United Kingdom.

"Apart from his family, his great loves were visiting the 1,049 offshore British islands and having a good game of tennis. He was energetic to the last."

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
A very sad loss, I'm sure there aren't many who have not spent some time reading the Guinness Book of Records, or seen him on TV, I guess that 78 is not a bad age though and at least he was active to the end.

Shahid

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sony KLV26HG2 LCD TV, Humax HD-CI 2000 on a Fixed Sky/Astra/Hotbird.
Cerebro Card. Infinity USB Phonix. Dragon Cam v4.1 w/Firecrypt & Loader Card.
My Location
London UK
Dedications what you need if you want to be a ........RECORD BREAKER.

Not to forget Roy Castle and the obeste Cherl Baker.

G

GotMyBusPass

Also Norris's twin brother Ross who was murdered by the IRA in the 1970's. They both started the book.

Rest in Peace.

GMBP:)

PaulR

Dazed and Confused Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
-----------See sig-----------
My Location
Wirral, NW UK and Vaucluse, France.
Thanks GMBP ,for remembering his brother Ross. He seems to have been completely overlooked in all the news reports.

PaulR

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
PaulR said:
Thanks GMBP ,for remembering his brother Ross. He seems to have been completely overlooked in all the news reports.

PaulR
I second that...well said guys.