Norton NIS Subscription Renewal Dilema

jimbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky HD, TM6800HD, Manhattan Plaza ST550 and TM1500 CI+. 1.0m dish and 36v motor, Panasonic DVD HDD recorder and Panasonic video/DVD recorder. Sony G800 HD TV stand/surround system + Sony KDL40W2000. Infinity USB, Elvis, CAS1, CAS2.
My Location
Greater London
Channel Hopper said:
Plenty of freeware stuff out there as pointed out above.

Have you looked at Avast ?
Doesn't have firewall software as far as I know so not the complete solution.

I dropped Norton having previously been an advocate. Using Steganos Internet Security now which looks remarkably like AVG but very small cost. Good interface and double firewall.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Installed NOD32 Smart Security, but when I clicked on purchase, it redirected me to my country's local page.
Obviously they check my ISP and IP and won't let me check the prices from other countries. I really hate this. )(-red
Is there any way to overide this?
Alternatively, I would appreciate it if someone can check the price of the NOD32 Smart Security including VAT for me from the UK. Thanks
_http://www.eset.com
Click on purchase in the middle of the page after RSS.

Edit:
Never mind. I typed _http://www.eset.co.uk and the purchase button doesn't take me this time to local purchase. ;)

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
jimbo said:
Doesn't have firewall software as far as I know so not the complete solution.

OK, but it is remarkably transparent when used with something like Lavasoft ZoneAlarm (which was free up until very recently)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Installed NOD32 Smart Security 30 days evaluation last week and it looks OK so far.
Thanks Topper. :)
When I receive e-mail messages, it inserts this message at the end of each message, with live website link:
__________ Information from ESET Smart Security, version of virus signature database 2904 (20080227) __________

The message was checked by ESET Smart Security.

_http://www.eset.com

I am not willing to give them free advertizing since every time I reply to my messages, the recepient will see this message.
Is there anyway in the setup that can stop it from inserting this message?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Just a little update:
I have tried so far
AVG
NOD32 Smart Security (ESET)
Kaspersky

The best one for me so far is Kaspersky. User friendly and doesn't leave their marks at the bottom of my e-mail messages like NOD32 does.
I need two licenses and they have either one or three options. So I am not happy about paying for an extra license when I don't need it.
Please let me know if there are other good Internet Security software that you use and would recommend. Thanks. :)

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
I use AVG Antivirus plus Firewall, did buy PC Security shield and ran it for a year, but when I upgraded to the new version after buying the second year, nothing worked properly on the PC or network, in exactly the same way it had when I tried Kaspersky a couple of years before. I then found out that they are now owned by Kaspersky, so must have used their engine.

I've now uninstalled (written off the $30 or so for the year) and bought a second license for AVG which works well. :)

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Thanks rolfw for the info.
AVG evaluation was good, but it gave me a headache every time I started my PC. It would take a lot of time to initiate and then I had to deactivate the firewall. Perhaps I was doing something wrong during that period?
Could be my work PC was running Windows 2000?
Any more suggestions, please?

ctomer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM1000ci
Kathrein UFS 910 si
My Location
Leeds, UK
HB13DISH said:
Just a little update:
I have tried so far
AVG
NOD32 Smart Security (ESET)
Kaspersky

The best one for me so far is Kaspersky. User friendly and doesn't leave their marks at the bottom of my e-mail messages like NOD32 does.
There's a setting that gets rid of those messages.

I've used both Kasperksy and Nod32 in the past. Both are pretty good products. Kaspersky is a a bit more user friendly though. Both regularly update their virus definitions. I prefer Nod32 because it runs in the background and leaves me in peace.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
ctomer said:
There's a setting that gets rid of those messages.

I've used both Kasperksy and Nod32 in the past. Both are pretty good products. Kaspersky is a a bit more user friendly though. Both regularly update their virus definitions. I prefer Nod32 because it runs in the background and leaves me in peace.

Thanks.
Do you know how to get rid of the e-mail messages mark?
I admit that I didn't have the time to find out, but would appreciate your input as this would put NOD32 back as a potential software to buy.

T_G

The Consumate Dreamer
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1 GigaBlue Quad plus, 1 Dreambox 5620, MOTECK SG2100A DISEqC Motor, 120 cm noname offset dish, Humax 95 cm offset dish and a few UK digiboxes.
My Location
Somewhere where the Sauer is Kraut and the Wurst is Brat
I think Kaspersky is a ver y good one. Why don't you buy 2 single ones seperately if they don't do a couple. Is it too expensive then?

irart

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Freesat in UK,
Astra 1 ana/dig in UK
using Technomate -5000 DAPCI,
Astra 2 South Beam and Eurobird in Spain.
My Location
Cornwall, UK
I can recommend Avast for anti virus, and Zone Alarm as a firewall - both free, although they both have more sophisticated paid versions. Another free firewall that I hear is very good is Comodo, but haven't tried it yet.

meldrew

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
North West
My main gripe over Norton is the cost but I recently got a
new three user NIS 2008 from Amazon for under £20. Seems
unobtrusive and causes no trouble. On the basis of "devil you
know" I will probably stay with it but prices are more variable
than bank shares on the stock exchange!

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
T_G said:
I think Kaspersky is a ver y good one. Why don't you buy 2 single ones seperately if they don't do a couple. Is it too expensive then?

Yes, they are the best so far for me, but also the most expensive.
1 PC costs $ 59.95
2 PC (2 singles) costs $ 119.95
3 PC (3 license option) costs $ 120

As I need only 2 licenses, I will be losing $ 40 this year and also on future renewals.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
irart said:
I can recommend Avast for anti virus, and Zone Alarm as a firewall - both free, although they both have more sophisticated paid versions. Another free firewall that I hear is very good is Comodo, but haven't tried it yet.

Thanks irart. I will take a look at this possibility, even for the paid versions.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
meldrew said:
My main gripe over Norton is the cost but I recently got a
new three user NIS 2008 from Amazon for under £20. Seems
unobtrusive and causes no trouble. On the basis of "devil you
know" I will probably stay with it but prices are more variable
than bank shares on the stock exchange!

I used Norton eversince I had my first PC.
But in 2007 they stopped supporting Windows 2000 and this is the reason why I started to look for alternatives. NIS 2008 requires Windows XP or Vista.
I don't understand this "three user" gimmick that most software manufacturers are offering to promote their sale. Why not offer "two user" instead or in addition?

ctomer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM1000ci
Kathrein UFS 910 si
My Location
Leeds, UK
HB13DISH said:
Thanks.
Do you know how to get rid of the e-mail messages mark?
I admit that I didn't have the time to find out, but would appreciate your input as this would put NOD32 back as a potential software to buy.
I no longer use nod32 (switched to the Mac a while ago), but on page 13 of the user guide it mentions this:
"The options for this functionality are available through Advanced
setup > Antivirus and antispyware protection > Email protection.
The program can Append tag messages to received and read mail,
as well as Append tag messages to sent mail. Users also have the
ability to decide whether tag messages should be appended to all
email, to infected email only, or not at all."

I also used NIS in the past, it was a terrible piece of software. Its pop-up blocking was truly abysmal. Regardless of whether NIS was turned on or off, it would inject a small piece of javascript into each and every web page. It did actually block pop-ups but it also frequently broke the web pages themselves.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Well I have just about survived just over one full year Norton 360. A complete package containing PC Security, Identity Protection, backup (to External drive or off site) and PC tune up software. I have to say I was just about losing the will to live trying to keep it working correctly, when I was due to renew my subscription I complained in writing to them they said why not switch to Version 2 (which I was not aware had been released). From the minute I did the whole thing just ran as smooth as anything, never complains but is a tad memory hungry at times. Backups are now encrypted as well, but hey AV protection is really horses for courses, as I mentioned in an earlier post Nod32 is the king for our 40 POS + XP Pro tills

ctomer

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TM1000ci
Kathrein UFS 910 si
My Location
Leeds, UK
Topper said:
From the minute I did the whole thing just ran as smooth as anything, never complains but is a tad memory hungry at times.
Does Norton still update definitions on a weekly basis? Or have they improved?

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
ctomer said:
Does Norton still update definitions on a weekly basis? Or have they improved?
Difficult to say as it certainly checks every day at least once and only informs you for a few seconds, but I have no issues to complain about now with Norton 360

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
ctomer said:
I no longer use nod32 (switched to the Mac a while ago), but on page 13 of the user guide it mentions this:
"The options for this functionality are available through Advanced
setup > Antivirus and antispyware protection > Email protection.
The program can Append tag messages to received and read mail,
as well as Append tag messages to sent mail. Users also have the
ability to decide whether tag messages should be appended to all
email, to infected email only, or not at all."

I also used NIS in the past, it was a terrible piece of software. Its pop-up blocking was truly abysmal. Regardless of whether NIS was turned on or off, it would inject a small piece of javascript into each and every web page. It did actually block pop-ups but it also frequently broke the web pages themselves.

Hello ctomer,
Just tested by configuring the tagging of received and sent e-mails and it works. Thanks:)