Nothing is built to last any more

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
A bit of a moan thread, but I feel that as time goes on, "things" are being built with much less care and attention... and quality. Buildings are a case in point. Have recently moved into a brand new flat (rented) with lovely Bristol Channel views and... everything about that flat shouts crap quality.

The balcony door jammed on the day I moved in because someone didn't tighten up a couple of screws on the railing lock making it drop the locking bolt into the floor. The kitchen is of generally good quality materials wise but the people who put it in did a hashed job out of it. The washing machine's cover door (part of the "fitted" kitchen) is wonky and doesn't close properly. The cover board between the bottom of the units and the floor is also wonky and I had to tie it up with a piece of string to stop it from dropping!

The worse thing is - the whole flat shakes whenever someone walks in it. It's a top floor flat but I can feel and hear the guy walking *downstairs*. I certainly wouldn't want to live below anyone. And, as it's a new development, they are still building around here and a block of flats has been put up in less than a month! It's all timber framed, which explains the vibrations every time someone sneezes, with some breeze block on the outside and then rendered.

Is this what the future holds? Disposable everything? It's bad enough that cars are made out of spit and paper these days, but surely the buildings should have some structural rigidity? This is even with "noise regulations" that are out there for new buildings - obviously not worth the paper they are written on.

Flats in Russia, where I lived for the first 13 years of my life simply don't have this problem. Probably because everything was built out of concrete - no chance of any vibrations/sounds.

Rant over.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Mmmm I sympathise and just hope it does not sway in a strong wind, our ahem 'concrete and steel' circa 1960's town hall moves a few inches back and forth in a strong wind if you happen to be one of the unlucky ones to work on the top floor

timo_w2s

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.timo.me.uk
My Satellite Setup
See Signature
My Location
Maidenhead, UK & Helsinki, Finland
The quality of building in the UK has alway shocked me, especially newer buildings. I've got friends that have moved into new flats and they just seem so flimsy. Plasterboard and all that rubbish. For 12 months I rented an ex-council flat and I could hear everything going on below me, including the radio and TV.

Now in Finland my flat is built from solid concrete. I could jump up and down and scream and no one would hear or feel a thing. The windows are triple glazed and the walls are solid. In fact it took a couple of drill bits to get a satellite dish up.... ;)

I helped my sister and her husband build their own house so I've seen how well built houses are in Finland too. No wooden floorboards or any of the creaky stuff they use in the UK, just solid concrete slabs.

I sympathise with you Captain Jack!