nova installation in london

panathinaikos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin digital tv
My Location
London
Hi guys

I was recently in Greece and bought the nova receiver decoder and the access card. I am now back in the UK and have no idea what type of dish I need to get. I am obviously a complete novice in the satellite world hoping that I will be able to get somebody from the yellow pages to connect the whole thing together, but before that I guess I need a dish?

Can anybody help? also, I have no south facing wall...would that be a problem?

Thank u!
;)

Mickha

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1.2M Channel Master, 1224 motor, VU+ Duo 2
My Location
North West
Nova is on 13E, so it shouldn't be much of a problem receiving the package in the UK.
If you're going for a fixed dish then South Facing is not a problem, just look for any S*y dish in your neighbourhood, which faces 28.2E, and work out 15E, to your left as you are facing the dish.
Hotbird, 13E, is a very powerful satellite so setting it up should be easy, I would go for a 60cm dish, or an 80cm if you want to add extra LNB's for other satellites, or of course if you decide to go motorized and view other satellites.

aldos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
n/a
My Location
uk
I've got NOVA satellite system installed in London as well.

I am using a 80cm dish and I sometimes have a weak signal. For that reason I suggest that you use a dish larger than the 60cm ones.

If you do not have a south wall, why don't you try the roof.

Panatha forever :)

panathinaikos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin digital tv
My Location
London
Thank U!

I will go for the 80 cm dish and call nova to activate my card!

panathinaikos

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
panathinaikos said:
Thank U!

I will go for the 80 cm dish and call nova to activate my card!

panathinaikos

First do the installation and see that you get all the Nova channels.
There are few FTA channels so this will tell you that you have the package.
Only then ask for the activation.

koansrc

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
CM 3.0m @ 28.2 w PACE
My Location
Athens-Greece
ahhh, "the grass is always greener on the other side". People in the UK wanting to watch Greek TV, and people in Greece wanting to watch UK TV <--

panathinaikos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin digital tv
My Location
London
HB13DISH said:
First do the installation and see that you get all the Nova channels.
There are few FTA channels so this will tell you that you have the package.
Only then ask for the activation.
Are you saying that there are non-scrambled channels that I will get just by installing the satellite dish (given that this is done properly) and before the nova card is activated?

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
panathinaikos said:
Are you saying that there are non-scrambled channels that I will get just by installing the satellite dish (given that this is done properly) and before the nova card is activated?

Yes. There are some FTA channels. Like the mosaic promo.

aldos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
n/a
My Location
uk
HB13DISH said:
Yes. There are some FTA channels. Like the mosaic promo.

And apart from the FTA channels you will also get the VOULH channel which is "free to air". It is a good way to test if your installation is correct before you activate your card

panathinaikos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin digital tv
My Location
London
Hi guys
Finally, the satellite installer came today to put up the 80cm dish but was saying that this is a huge dish to put on the chimney (not allowed to put it anywhere else) and that a 60 cm dish will suffice for Hotbird.

He is now coming back next week so I wanted to ask you whether I can activate the nova subscription before the dish is installed so that we can check on the day whether the 60cm dish will be OK.

The question really is whether Nova can activate the card without a satellite dish being installed or whether you need the dish to get the 'activation signal'. Thanks

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
panathinaikos said:
Hi guys
Finally, the satellite installer came today to put up the 80cm dish but was saying that this is a huge dish to put on the chimney (not allowed to put it anywhere else) and that a 60 cm dish will suffice for Hotbird.

He is now coming back next week so I wanted to ask you whether I can activate the nova subscription before the dish is installed so that we can check on the day whether the 60cm dish will be OK.

The question really is whether Nova can activate the card without a satellite dish being installed or whether you need the dish to get the 'activation signal'. Thanks

Why do you want to activate it?
Leave it until the installation is complete.
You need a receiver with Irdeto support (CAM Slot) and a well installed dish with LNB and coaxial cable connecting to the receiver.
What I don't understand is why it has taken so long?
Usually installation can take just few days. And now he is off for another week?:confused

panathinaikos

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Virgin digital tv
My Location
London
The delays in installation are completely my fault (realised that if you want an installer pick up the phone rather that sending emails to websites that never get answered!!!).

The reason I want to activate it before the installation is to be able to see on the day whether the 60com dish give a good signal or whether I will have to get him to install the 80cm dish. If I activate afterwards then I will have to get the installer to come out again! (I would like to go with the 60 dish as the 80 is gianormous!). Would nova be able to activate without a dish?
Thank u

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
panathinaikos said:
The delays in installation are completely my fault (realised that if you want an installer pick up the phone rather that sending emails to websites that never get answered!!!).

The reason I want to activate it before the installation is to be able to see on the day whether the 60com dish give a good signal or whether I will have to get him to install the 80cm dish. If I activate afterwards then I will have to get the installer to come out again! (I would like to go with the 60 dish as the 80 is gianormous!). Would nova be able to activate without a dish?
Thank u

There are one or two FTA channels from Nova, so use that to check the signal quality and picture. No need to activate.
I think that 60cm might be too small for Hot Bird 13E under all weather conditions. I would go for 80cm.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
60cm should be fine for Hotbird, no need for an 80cm.