Nova Satellite System

nwill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
South Wales
Hi

I would like to install a Nova Greek Satellite system but would appreciate advice as to what receiver and dish set up I should go for.

I would like a receiver that has a Nova card embedded encryption compatibility to avoid purchasing a CAM and a dish set up that would guarantee good picture quality. I am not sure what size dish would be suitable.

I live in South Wales so would also appreciate any recommendation of a good installer in or around my area.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
Hello!
Hotbird,is a very stong satelite,with global beam,you can reveive it with 60cm dish,or mabe for uk90 cm!

you can use,every reseiver,for nova,with comon interface slot,you only need,a iredeto eurocam ci module,that supports irdeto 2!
you dont need the reveiver,that nova offers,you can use,every brand,with ci slot on the market !

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
nwill said:
Hi

I would like to install a Nova Greek Satellite system but would appreciate advice as to what receiver and dish set up I should go for.

I would like a receiver that has a Nova card embedded encryption compatibility to avoid purchasing a CAM and a dish set up that would guarantee good picture quality. I am not sure what size dish would be suitable.

I live in South Wales so would also appreciate any recommendation of a good installer in or around my area.

Thanks for any help or advice you can provide.

You need to point the dish to Hot Bird and purchase a Nova IRDETO smartcard and an IRDETO CAM or a multi (or to check if the intended receiver that you want to purchase has an embedded CAM that supports IRDETO encryption. Check the manual specifications first before you buy)
I am not sure which receiver to recommend, but there are other factors to consider, for example if you want it to have a hard disk in order to record the programs.
Also if you want to record one channel and watch another. In this case you must install an LNB which has a dual ouput and either a receiver with twin tuner or another cheaper receiver (to be purchased later on)
The extra cost at the time of installation is really not high compared to if you decide to do this later on.
I have an LNB with 4 outputs and it was the best decision that I made at the time.
In short, install a dual LNB even if you will not use immediately.

An official Nova smartcard is very expensive to buy in the UK.
Try shopping around first on the net or perhaps there are shops in London.
If you have any Greek friends or acquaintances, they will know !!!
I recently saw it offered from Italy from a reliable shop for 499 Euro for the 6 months validity and 879 Euro 12 months.
I am not sure if this card would enable you to open all the channels. Some might be an option that can only be setup through Nova.

I suggest that you would go over all the the channels list and decide if they are really worth it at this price.
http://www.lyngsat.com/packages/nova.html
Some of the channels can be opened perhaps with other official smartcards. It all depends on what you want to watch.
Check also the TV Channels resolution quality. 720x576 is best but I doubt very much if they are using this. Maybe 544x567.

Remember that the films might have embedded Greek subtitles, which can be rather distracting to the eye.

Let me know if you need more info.

nwill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
South Wales
Thanks for your input guys, very helpful.

With regard to the channel resolution quality, any idea what the picture quality would be like (on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being excellent) for football on the Nova Supersport channels if they are broadcast at 544x567?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Turok said:
Hello!
Hotbird,is a very stong satelite,with global beam,you can reveive it with 60cm dish,or mabe for uk90 cm!

Err my friend there are 2 factual mistakes in that single sentence.

The 3 Hotbirds use European beams not global beams

90 cm is complete overkill for 13E. 60 cm will do for most of the UK in most weather conditions.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
nwill said:
Thanks for your input guys, very helpful.

With regard to the channel resolution quality, any idea what the picture quality would be like (on a scale of 1-10 with 10 being excellent) for football on the Nova Supersport channels if they are broadcast at 544x567?

Sorry, I meant 544x576

Well, I checked just now the resolution for 2 of the open channels from Nova (FTA) and the Nova Promo channel has 352x576 and it is a real crap. I would give it 4 on your scale.
You would expect that they would put a better resolution on a Promo !!!

Another channel has a 544x576 and I would give it 6 on your scale.
But is mostly low motion video.

I don't know about the resolution for the channels that you are interested in since my Dreambox shows only the true resolution of open channels, but I had big help from two members who have better receivers in this regards
see this thread:
http://www.satellites.co.uk/satellite/7000/101304-tv-channels-resolution-hotbird.html

Since the sport channels have a lot of dynamic motion, then I would say that 544x576 would not be satisfactory to me.

Since you have SKY system, are there any sports channels in your package ?

If they are good enough for you, then just ask about their resolutions and someone might be able to help you.
(This would give you sort of a way to compare, but still you have to see the actual channels from Nova with your own eyes to help you to decide)

nwill

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky Digital
My Location
South Wales
Can anyone confirm that a Nova viewing card will play in a Technomate TM 1500 receiver without having to use an Irdeto CAM. Thanks in advance.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Are you sure about the model number ?
Please check if it is not TM1500 CI+
Send the URL link if possible.

HB13DISH

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Location
Middle East - Israel
Hi nwill,

I don't recommend buying a receiver with an embedded CAM, unless the embedded CAM is multi system.
You would be better of to buy a receiver with a CI (Common Interface) slot and a CI CAM which is IRDETO only or a multi system.
Otherwise you would need another receiver for every type of encrypted smartcards that you may buy in the future.
Better still buy a receiver with embedded CAM and a CI slot.

tesla

Reaction score
Website
www.bloka.com
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Lost in the night
HB13DISH said:
Well, I checked just now the resolution for 2 of the open channels from Nova (FTA) and the Nova Promo channel has 352x576 and it is a real crap. I would give it 4 on your scale.
You would expect that they would put a better resolution on a Promo !!!
I disagree. The promotional Nova Promo is not the primary service of the package. Otherwise, it would not be free. The sports services have higher resolution and higher bit rate.

Turok

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
1,25 Fibostop
Jäger Smr 1224 & Smo 36 Dual Axsis Motor
Dynasat F1
Monterey 140
Drembox 800
sky Pace HD Box
Tagra 2,20 M Fullsize Dish
Echostar 2,40m Mesh for cband!
My Location
Austria
now,i see, Filmnet,is startet with CY

for cypress?
only 3 chanels,or is there,also now the complete package avalible?

tesla

Reaction score
Website
www.bloka.com
My Satellite Setup
?
My Location
Lost in the night
There are two packages, one for Greece (bouquet: Nova) and another one for Cyprus (bouquet: Nova Cyprus).