Novice- motorised system help

T

thuynh7

Hi everyone

I guy I know bought a pub and gave me the old sat dish and motor unit.

the dish is a black mesh, list the sky ones, but it's 76cm wide and 60cm high, in a oval shape. Can I get hotbird 13e using this? Or what else can I do with it or what use there for it?

Also the motor unit is a SM2UNI, it's a black box in plastic casing. on it is a diagram, where it says to connect up, the LNB goes in to the unit and from the unit to the the Sat receiver. Now my question is how does the Sat receiver power the the unit? Or where does the unite get it's power to move?

Another question how does a unit instruct it to rotate? Or would I need to get a special reciever with a built in Sat positioner?

Sorry if these are lame questions, I'm just a novice and would really like to get my head around this?

many thanks everyone!!!!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Any receiver with DiseqC will be usable with that motor. The dish will be fine for most of the popular European satellites, all you need to do is read a bit in this section and look at the sticky thread on setting up a motor. :)

Does it come with a wall mounting bracket as well?

T

thuynh7

Yes the guy gave me a wall bracket and a piece of pipe in a 's' shape.

so i guess all I'll need is a receiver with DiseqC feature, coax cabling and some f-connectors and i'm up and away.

I did notice that Lidl were selling some receivers, would this have been adequate? Just so that next time i'll make a real effort to get one, as my store sold out in half an hour!!!!

Ideally I want to get hotbird.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
You may find that the S shape pole will be difficult to get perfectly plumb, a set of T&K brackets and a 2" steel pole would be better.

Yes, the Lidl receiver would have been fine, but there are loads of similar units out there for less than £80.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
No problem at all. :)

T

thuynh7

So if I get this working I won't need to get a twin LNB or anything like that as the system is motorised?

BTW if it is mototrised, how long would it normally take for a dish to ppoint to another satellite, i.e. If I was watch a channel on one satellite and I wanted to to switch channels to a channel on another satellite how long would the stwitching take????

pothead13

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 1500ci + 1000d super +
skystar 2 pci card
1M Motorised dish
Ivacon twin lnb
pc + laptop on network
My Location
uk
thuynh7 said:
So if I get this working I won't need to get a twin LNB or anything like that as the system is motorised?

BTW if it is mototrised, how long would it normally take for a dish to ppoint to another satellite, i.e. If I was watch a channel on one satellite and I wanted to to switch channels to a channel on another satellite how long would the stwitching take????

not that long say about 45 sec from 42east to 30 west

J

Jeff_19341

Depends upon the voltage to the motor and the type of motor.
My Stab takes 65seconds to go from 53*east to 58*west at 18 volts and 90 seconds at 13 volts. I understand the Moteck type motors are quicker, but not sure about jacks.

jakenl

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Manhattan Starlight 5900+PVR-80GB,Topfield TF5000CI,Skystar2,110cm dish, Invacom 0,3dB, Moteck SG2100A,range: 75East-61West,AMD Sempron 2600+, Windows XP Pro.
My Location
The Netherlands
rolfw said:
Any receiver with DiseqC will be usable with that motor. The dish will be fine for most of the popular European satellites, all you need to do is read a bit in this section and look at the sticky thread on setting up a motor. :)

Just for help:
Actually, the receiver must support Diseqc 1.2 commands.
There are receivers which support Diseqc 1.0 but are not able to drive a motor.

Jakenl

shankar_lingam

Reaction score
If the receiver supports diseqc1.2 , is it enough to drive motor or is it require positioner.

jakenl said:
Just for help:
Actually, the receiver must support Diseqc 1.2 commands.
There are receivers which support Diseqc 1.0 but are not able to drive a motor.

Jakenl

Rob

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate TMS-1500 CI+ "patched" receiver, 90cm p/f 36v motorised dish, Inverto C120 0.3db LNB, Moteck V-Box 2, Packard Bell 6052 XP Home computer, Toshiba A60 laptop, and lots of Russian Vodka !
My Location
Essex
If receiver supports Diseqc 1.2 that's more than enough. :)