Novice Setup Suggestion / Advice

dtmpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
n/a
My Location
Hampshire
I am looking to get into sat tv/feeds - don't really want to spend more than £250 until I know I like it, e.g get some experience with decoding etc etc/setting up dish.... What would you suggest, I need a clear acrylic dish for discrete installation, and should be easy to setup at first (fixed/motorised dish on which bird?) a dreambox 500s looks good, is this the best for my first box ? Could someone suggest a system for both £250 and £350...

dtmpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
n/a
My Location
Hampshire
Technomate 1500+ or Dreambox 500s

What are the +/- of each of these boxes, are there any more in this

price range that have better functions. I gather the 500s can "decode"

many different encryption formats. Does the 1500+ have a similar type

or multicam/card system. Looking at Lyngsat I think I will be mainly

looking at 19E,13E,16E , unless anyone else can suggest good reception

of other birds - I am Southampton and will get a 85cm acrylic dish.

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Dreambox is a lousy choice if you are new to satellite - its a very high end enthusiasts receiver based on Linux.

If you are thinking about feeds in a serious way you are going to need a bigger dish - they tend to be much lowere power than broadcast transmissions. Feed hunters reckon on using 1.2m dishes minimum diameter.

An 80cm dish with a monobloc (twin headed) lnb will give you 13E and 19E at the same time from one lnb

dtmpower

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
n/a
My Location
Hampshire
I am keen on leanring linux and have a full home netowrk and cable internet so this could be why I have looked at the dreambox. Initially I dont want to spend much on the setup to ensure I enjoy the hobby. Does the 500s have full dish motor control ?

I am also looking at the Technomate 1500CI+ seems a good cheap receiver, but how much will I loose out in cam/decryption ability if i get the 1500CI+ ?