Advice Needed NSC 180 Offset or Technisat 2m PF?

Lexzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Xtrend ET10000 DVB-C, DVB-S2, and IPTV
Dreambox DM920 DVB-C/DVB-S2X/DVB-T2
TBS 5925 USB-tuner
80 cm fixed dish (28.2E/23.5E/19.2E)
180cm Channel Master offset dish with polarmount (39E-34.5W, Ku-band)
My Location
The Netherlands
I wanted to buy a Channel Master 180cm dish, because I have good results with my 120cm Channel Master dish.
Unfortunately the seller sold it for half the price I would have paid. Don't understand why he didn't returned my mails.

Now I have choice of buying and I'd like some advice on how well I can expect the performance of these dishes for C-band and Ku-band (I already have LNB's for both band and for offset and prime-focus).

- NSC 180cm offset dish.
To me it looks like similar to Channel Master/Raven, but looks can be deceiving. Does anyone know if NSC performs as well?
NSC schotel 180 cm

-Technisat 200cm prime focus
My first goal is C-band, which I already tried on a PF dish. Unfortunately reception with that dish was poor. Maybe because that dish was warped or otherwise damaged.
So I'm not fond on a metal dish anymore.
On the other hand it looks well cared for on the pictures and Technisat sounds quality to me. But is that the case?
Sateletscotel draaibaar - Te koop €75 in Liedekerke

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
That NSC looks like a Prodelin - every bit as good as the CM.

Not sure of the Technisat one but looks like a rebrand (Irte?).

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Definitely a prodelin reflector, with what looks like a reasonable polar mount, that should be workable to dual axis.

Stick with offset design, much easier to install multiband feeds, plus you can invert for low profile and to keep the rain off the electronics.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
...My first goal is C-band, which I already tried on a PF dish. Unfortunately reception with that dish was poor. Maybe because that dish was warped or otherwise damaged...

If you do not need a multi LNB feed system and are using the dish only for C band go for the 2.0m prime focus dish. It provides approximately 23.5% more surface area for signal capture compared to the 1.8m dish.

Metal dishes are good provided they are not warped or damaged, Kathrein made some high quality prime focus metal dishes, as did Precision Antennas and nowadays Elite Antennas.

nelson_b

Contributor
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Strong 4375 driving a 2.4 m Channel Master dual focus offset + Invcom Quad C120 K/U l.n.b. + BSC 421 and Zinwell C band l.n.b.,s - DR HD F15 - TM5302 - Octagon SX88+Optima - GT Media V7 - HD receivers. + other dishes currently in use - Antique 3.0 m Prodelin P.F. - Channel Master 1.8 m offset - Channel Master. 1.2 m.
My Location
North West Yorkshire - near Lancashire & Cumbria borders.
Hi
As a combined setup this arrangement has served me well for many years on my 1.8 channel master offset . ku and c  on 1.8.jpg
I,m hoping to find time this autumn - to replace this dish with a 2.4 channel master offset , and will probably use the same combined K/u - C band arrangement .

regards - nelson.b

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Some SAT-related hardware.
My Location
N-E from Riga
I had installed NSC 1.8m couple of years ago IMG_20150704_204154 (Large).jpg . What can I IMHO say.... polar mount is good one, but CM 1.8m performs better. However, I maybe spent too little time to properly install it, so it might be not so bad dish. I will not be able to check it again as I've sold it couple of month ago. 2m PFA will give you much better performance than any 1.8m antenna, of course 2m one should not be damaged.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The o/p wants both C and Ku band from the reflector.

A prime focus dish, regardless of size ( up to around 140% area) is never going to compete owing to the feed and LNB designs out there, which means a swop out of feed/feed arms and scalar horn every time.

Get the 1.8m but take good images of the surface and side , post here before parting with the euros.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I had installed NSC 1.8m couple of years ago View attachment 119209 . What can I IMHO say.... polar mount is good one, but CM 1.8m performs better. However, I maybe spent too little time to properly install it, so it might be not so bad dish. I will not be able to check it again as I've sold it couple of month ago. 2m PFA will give you much better performance than any 1.8m antenna, of course 2m one should not be damaged.

A steel/aluminium dish can almost always be brought back to life.

Apart from the banana ones.

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
A steel/aluminium dish can almost always be brought back to life.
Agree with that. The only problem is that after some time they go to warped shape again. :eek:

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
...A prime focus dish, regardless of size ( up to around 140% area) is never going to compete owing to the feed and LNB designs out there, which means a swop out of feed/feed arms and scalar horn every time...

No way is a 1.8m dish gonna get more signal capture than a 2.0m dish if both dishes are performing to their capabilities and are well manufactured.

The solution is simple, get both dishes they are cheap enough, setup the off focus for Ku band and the prime focus for C band, job done.

Lexzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TBS 5925 USB-tuner
My Location
The Netherlands
Thanks for all answers. It was not the question which one of these two to choose, but more if these dishes perform well enough like a Channel Master.

The price is not really an issue, but it's a lot effort to pick up dishes like that (have to rent a trailer and arrange a friend who can tow the trailer).
First making pictures and posting them here would mean I have to travel twice. They are not for sale very closely to me.

First goal is to receive C-band on 10°E-40.5°W.

I have already a 120cm Channel Master dish for Ku band, right now 23.5°E-30°W, probably can expand that to app. 40°E. What could I receive more (in NL on those satellites) with 180cm NSC instead of the 120cm CM?

RimaNTSS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
N-E from Riga
What could I receive more (in NL on those satellites) with 180cm NSC instead of the 120cm CM?
I think it is impossible to compare incomparable things ..... 1.8m will allways outperform 1.2m and 2.0m dish will always give you even more. What youy will get with bigger dish in NL.... well, possibly more channels from some "exotic" satellites like 26*E, 7*W,. For the rest of satellites you will always have greater rain-margin with bigger dish. Moreover, when you have more bigger dishes installed you can make nice pictures of them and be proud to post them in the forum :)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
No way is a 1.8m dish gonna get more signal capture than a 2.0m dish if both dishes are performing to their capabilities and are well manufactured.

I would like to see anyone get a Jonsa 2.4m dish perform as well as a 1.8m Channel Master at Ku band, but I might be waiting a while.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
I would like to see anyone get a Jonsa 2.4m dish perform as well as a 1.8m Channel Master at Ku band, but I might be waiting a while.

@Channel Hopper

I said in my reply in post 11 "...if both dishes are performing to their capabilites and are well manufactured". I would not class a Jonsa dish as well manufactured and not a valid comparison against a 1.8m Channel Master dish for Ku band.

As the OP's first goal is to receive C band, what are your views on a 2.4m Jonsa dish versus a 1.8m Channel Master dish for C band?

@Lexzie

If your first goal is to receive C band and you do not need a multi LNB setup on the dish then the 2.0m Technisat dish is probably your best option. The increased size over the 1.8m will be beneficial for C band. Good luck with whichever dish you decide to go for.

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
It's his 'first goal', so I would not bother with a Jonsa/Fortecstar.

The comparison was however with a 2.0m, all very well but if it has already been round the block a few times (manufacturer to dealer, to first customer, installed, then dismantled, stored and now has to be transported to a new site, then I would be very hesitant to take one on for anything except the scrap value.

moonbase

Small Dish Man
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
...The comparison was however with a 2.0m, all very well but if it has already been round the block a few times (manufacturer to dealer, to first customer, installed, then dismantled, stored and now has to be transported to a new site, then I would be very hesitant to take one on for anything except the scrap value.

The same could be said of any second hand dish. However, some forum members are willing to purchase second hand dishes and renovate them. A good example is presented in the current "Precision 1.5m" topic on the forum by "Pipedream". It is a good example of what can be achieved with a second hand dish.

In the case of the Technisat 2.0m dish under consideration by "Lexzie", the dish looks to be in a nice clean condition and there looks to be no obvious damage to it. I cant see how you would class this dish as only worthy of scrap value without a close inspection or knowledge of its provenance?

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
The backplate will require stripping off the corrosion and repainting, and the reflector is aluminium (though it does mention 'stainless' in the text). Whilst it could be a winner, it might already have been dismantled and damaged after the images were taken, or the buyer might find some of the bolts/threads cannot be undone during disassembly.
75 Euros is slightly more than the scrap value if it includes the ground stand.

Lexzie

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TBS 5925 USB-tuner
My Location
The Netherlands
Still you guys are comparing these two dishes. That's not what I want to know.
Let's say I'd consider buying both, the NSC for Ku and the Technisat for C.

What I want to know from each dish separately if it would be a good buy and f.e. I won't regret buying the NSC when a Channel Master performs much better.
I don't mind waiting for a CM, but if difference is marginal it would be a waste of time. (Unlike in the UK, there are not many offers of a (large) CM in the Netherlands).

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Difference will be marginal. The advantage of the 1.8m is that it is almost impossible to deform the reflector, it should perform as per specification for many many years.