Nubs needs help..

MaxieB

Reaction score
hi there i really don't know much about this kind of thing and i couldn't find any descent articles. I want to setup a satillite system with my computer acting as a reciever. Can someone please answe my questions :D What parts do i need exactly? coax cable, satillite dish, LNB, pci reviver card? Is that it? and how big does the satillite need to be? Also i've heard information about motors that move the dish as the satillite moves.. Is this essential and could you explain how it works(connected to the computer also?). I was also wondering what kind of things i will be able to revieve.. Tv, yea but like what about other satillites? Broadband..weather...image..can you pick all of this type of thing up? How cheaply do you think i could build it for..i want to spend the minimum possible but get a descent digital picture. Most of the parts seem available on ebay..One last question is whats different between seting up to recieve the different types of sky? You guys seem to have different forums.

Thanks very much

Max

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
All your questions are already answered in this forum. You must do some reading first, and I'm sure you'll be encouraged, but it's a lot of work and learning.

Pretty scary too to begin with.

mr_boyson

Reaction score
OK, to get you started the basics you need are:

Dish (with mounting)
LNB
Coax cable to connect it up (with F-connectors)
A suitable receiver (set top box or PC card)

However, as Stick says, do a bit of reading around the forums first. Then ask some specific questions and most likely someone here will have the answers.

There are many posts here about setting up a basic system.

Good luck!