Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
The UK never fails to amaze me, we have the toughest and most stringent rules for flying out of the whole of the world. I heard last May they were going to relax the limitations on liquids in hand luggage and only last week whilst in London I heard something similar on the radio. Luton however seems to be doing their own thing on this, indeed I have now reached the conclusion that the workers there are running a scam and stealing stuff from passengers. My sister-in-law returned to Israel but security was not controlled by El Al seems odd to start with seeing as it was an El Al flight. In her hand luggage she had a large bottle of shampoo and a small squeezy bottle of Golden Syrup. They let the ginormous bottle of shampoo through and confiscated the golden syrup.

Explain that please because I cannot understand or is it because syrup is classed as a foodstuff?

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No idea why that would be, but I wouldn't be bothered if the no liquids rule was retained, unitl at least they have quick and reliable testing equipment.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
No idea why that would be, but I wouldn't be bothered if the no liquids rule was retained, unitl at least they have quick and reliable testing equipment.

They have so I understand which is why all liquids are now scanned the same as all hand luggage, I suppose they have had some sort of spectral analysers fitted.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Thought that was still in testing phase.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
rolfw said:
Thought that was still in testing phase.

Perhaps it is only in the bigger airports ATM

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Topper said:
They have so I understand which is why all liquids are now scanned the same as all hand luggage, I suppose they have had some sort of spectral analysers fitted.
Hard to say without knowing what type of scanner they are using, but, maybe the syrup has a signature similar to a potentially suspicious compound and the shampoo does not.

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Huevos said:
Hard to say without knowing what type of scanner they are using, but, maybe the syrup has a signature similar to a potentially suspicious compound and the shampoo does not.

Yes you are correct of course as sugar is a constituent of the infamous weedkiller explosive, but that cannot work when the sugar is a liquid............:confused