official dutch package with Dragon Cam

sean_malice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC with Hauppauge WinTV DVB-S

AD3000ipVa

Digiquest P2000

1,2m channel master dish with 18" Superjack actuator.
0.6db ku only LNB

some 80cm backup dishes
My Location
Europe, France
I asked a dutch sat shop for a quote on a Canaal Digital FTV channels (Ned 1-2-3, RTL 4-5, etc...) card.
They ask 95 euros for the card and a one time 20 euros fee.
I thought it was something like 15 / 20 euros PER YEAR, not a one time fee.
Also, they want to sell me a Canaal Digital cam for 115 euros, claiming my Dragon Cam wouldn't work with such a card.

What do you people think ? Is that a ripoff ? Have you been successful in getting one working legit card from a sat web site ?
If so, could you recommend one ?

Thanks.

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
What shop, and when did you contact them ?

Some viewers may be going to the IBC next month and can probably give a more accurate sp on the actual pricing. Any delivery and switch on for a UK viewer is likely to cost more than the native subscription though.

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
The card should not cost more that 75-80 euro's, but if you can't get it for this price then its still worth the money.

Although there appears to be some missunderstanding as far as I know you can register/activate the card without paying for a package such as the set top box package. Downside is that the card doesn't automatically get reactivated each year so you have to phone an expensive number each year. However, I am not if this still applies since canal digitaal put the online reactivation on there web site.

I have two canal digitaal card and both of them work in my dragon cam on my topfield 4000pvr. This of course is no guarentee that the card and cam will work in your receiver but they probably will. I am not sure about the the card getting its monthly ota update though. With the dragon as I use my dragon with a sky fra card, this combination does not receive the monthly update as I found out a few days ago. Luckily I have a second card in a sky box. I have read on A dutch forum that the dragon+canal digitaal combination does get the update on some receivers.

Its worth paying for the set top box package as canal digitaal will relace the card free of charge should anything happen to it. I got a free card after I "accidently" damaged one of mine while reducing its size to fit it into the extra chip slot on my dragon 4.01 (which didn't work by the way).

cjgall

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 4000PVR with Aston 1.07 CAM, (canaldigitaal), dragoncam,
Sky digibox,
Bush HD Freesat,
Visiosat trisat looking at Astra1, Astra2 and Hotbird.
My Location
Netherlands & Central Brittany
Almost forgot, you can pick up canal digitaal cams for about 70 euro's.

JTA

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000HD+DM7000S with PLi image, CCcam, movable dish 0.85 m, very happy indeed
My Location
Belgium
sean_malice said:
They ask 95 euros for the card and a one time 20 euros fee.
I thought it was something like 15 / 20 euros PER YEAR, not a one time fee.
Also, they want to sell me a Canaal Digital cam for 115 euros, claiming my Dragon Cam wouldn't work with such a card.
a new card does cost around 80 euros, and there is an activation fee of 14 euros (more or less) so this would make up the 95 euros. Add 20 euros for the fee, which is not unexpected.
on top of this, you need a subscription, the creapest being the 'set top box' at 30 euro's a year. have a look at the http://www.canaldigitaal.nl website for details about subscriptions and prices.
about your dragon cam, I believe this will work with the regular updates, but not with the activation signal. This might indeed be a problem : a new card needs 2 activation signals, one when you first use the card, and a second one 2 months later, when your subscription details have been processed. Upon first activation, you get ALL of the canal digitaal channels, including the film channels. It's the 2nd activation signal that sets your card to the channels you've subscribed for. from here on, you only need to process the updates. If your card misses the 2nd activation signal, everything will go black, and you'll have trouble re-activation your card. That's why the shop wants to sell you a canaal digitaal cam, to be on the safe side. My advice would be to drop the cam, and to ask for a CD card which has already had the 2nd activation signal. Your dragon cam should work fine for the updates (but : no guarantee given - it depends on the software you burn on the dragon cam and the update process from canal digitaal - if they change their methods, the updates may no longer be processed).

sean_malice

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
PC with Hauppauge WinTV DVB-S

AD3000ipVa

Digiquest P2000

1,2m channel master dish with 18" Superjack actuator.
0.6db ku only LNB

some 80cm backup dishes
My Location
Europe, France
The shop was "By-Satellite Kramer RTV Audio Visuals system".
http://www.by-satellite.net/canal/e.html

and i contacted them 2 days ago.