Offset bracket seems to have been shortened!

vb1966

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000 - Dual Core Vista
My Location
Malta
About three years ago I had a two LNBs system, one on 13degrees the other on 19degrees with an offset bracket. Then I installed a motorised system and retained just one LNB and removed the offset bracket. Recently I bought a new receiver and changed the LNB to a dual LNB one, so that I could receive different transponders on two different receivers. The problem with this setup is that both receivers need to be on the same satellite. So today I decided to re-install one of the LNB's that I had previously removed together with the offset bracket (and of course the Disecq switch), so that at least on one receiver (the one that does not control the motor) I can receive both 13 and 19 degree satellites. However to my amazement the position of the offset bracket does not seem to be correct. I have the Hotbird set in the primary focus (the Dual LN:cool:. However I have to move the other LNB quite a bit (further to the East) than the bracket allows me to adjust (at least another 5cm) to properly receive Astra. Now I previously used this bracket without any problem (with the same dish). I can't understand what I am doing wrong. I have a picture of the old installation (the one that used to work) which I am attaching. The only difference now is that the centre LNB is dual (and of course of a different manufacturer) and the dish is motorised (but this should not affect anything as long as the motor is positioned to 13 degrees, which I am doing). Any ideas of what may be wrong?!

Attachments

• HPIM0092.jpg
    HPIM0092.jpg
    38.6 KB · Views: 28

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Hotbird should be the Eastern most LNB, remember the positions are reversed, due to the reflection of the dish. So if your main focus is on hotbird, the offset LNB will be on 7 East.

So in order to watch both, your motor needs to be focussed on Astra 19.2.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
vb1966 said:
...... (but this should not affect anything as long as the motor is positioned to 13 degrees, which I am doing). !

Yep, but your dish was focussed on 19E before.

vb1966

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000 - Dual Core Vista
My Location
Malta
Indeed you are correct. If I position the motor on 19 degrees, I get 13 on the offset lnb. I completely overlooked the reflection property of the dish. Thanks a lot, because I thought I was going mad! But there is always a logical explanation! :)

I suppose that I would need to change the bracket if I need to have the focus at 13 degrees and the offset at 19.

Robbo

Retired Mod
Reaction score
Website
www.mbcsatellites.co.uk
My Satellite Setup
TM6800HD, TM1000, TM600 Linux,TM2200 motor, Channel Master 1.2m motorised, TD110 dish Meter=Satlook Micro+G2 NIT
My Location
Gravesend,Kent,UK
vb1966 said:
I

I suppose that I would need to change the bracket if I need to have the focus at 13 degrees and the offset at 19.

Why would you need to do that?

It is much of a muchness with those two sats really.

But looking at the picture, can't you just remove the holder, turn the bracket over, and stick it on the other side?

vb1966

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
DM8000 - Dual Core Vista
My Location
Malta
Because the receiver that drives the motor is mostly on 13degrees... that gives the possibility to the other receiver to get 13 and 19 sats.

I agree, although it would not be a natural fit, with some tweaking I might just be able to turn around the bracket... I'll give it a go.