Old Dish

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dm500, TM9100, Samsung V+, 1M Dish. Motect 2100..
37Inch Plasma, Wii, Xbox360.
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Hello..

Decided i shall revive an old dish.. was up on a fixed position at a family members for around 15 years..

I dont think it has received a signal for a 3rd of that time.

anyway getting it down was a caffufal .. the wing nutted u bolts where crusted.. i just simply grinded them off..

So anyway gets it home has this weired lnb on the end never seen one before.. was a square box thing with a pole coming off with this round thing which pointed at the dish part..

Couldnt get the lnb off as it was crusted and brittle.. the dish had green moss all over.. cleaned that off with normal houshold fluid and it came up as new .. i presume the moss protected it from the weather..

the pole i painted its origional colour but i enamled it to give it more protection.

there is a ridge all the way around the dish.. this collects water .. thus the water has slowly loosened the paint in the corners.. so ived sanded that off.. leaving the black prime behind it.

Ive fitted a brand new holster with a digi lnb and fitted it with new bolts and u bolts..

This thing is a beast and to say its older than half the kids walking around its in a perfect state..

I have a few questions though..

I have a 80cm on a motor, Im thinking of swapping it with the older one..

This old dish im repairing.. is oval (same as sky dish).. but its a hefty 1m from left to right.. (not top to bottom).

I know its an old analogue .. but do you think i will have problems picking up sats when its on the motor.. im after 16e which i cant get now.. but also want the other sats.. 13 19 30w etc..

secondly.. the dish is finshed in a very light grey paint.. but as above ive sanded about 2 - 10 cm on the bottom.. where could i get paint to match this??

If all going well with this post.. and i do decide to put it up on the motor i will post pics of it fully fitted.. and will post this lnb.

Cheers again.. :-hny

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
You can paint it with matt car primer. Anywhere thats rusted can be painted with hammerite as long as its not on the reflector surface.

Have to say Im delighted to hear of another unwanted dish revived :)

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
Analoguesat said:
You can paint it with matt car primer. Anywhere thats rusted can be painted with hammerite as long as its not on the reflector surface.

Is 'hammerite' a nono, I was hoping to paint my dish to be more a match to my wall, and I had been thinking that 'hammerite' gave a bricky sort of appearance :confused

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
In that case paint it the same colour as your wall using car paint :) Hammerite is just a good cheap paint for painting rusted areas on the dish (NOT for use on the main reflector surfacev though)

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Topfield 5800 Echostar3000,DB7000, Relook 400S, Humax HDC2000, 55cm Fibo Gregorian dish with waveguide and Motek 2100 mod, 90cm Fibo Gregorian dish, 120cm Fibo Gregorian dish on a 1224 motor with waveguide
My Location
West Mids, UK
I had thought of 'hammerite' because my bricks are a roughish texture with a mottled sort of appearance, most car paints are quite a smooth texture.
I was wondering what properties 'hammerite' had which made it a wrong choice on the reflector side. Rust is not a problem for me on my aluminium dish. :confused

J

Jeff_19341

Paint it with nice glossy hammerite, then when the suns rays hit the dish you will find a nice hole burnt in the cap of the LNB. Might even melt the plastic cap.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
Cheers fellas.. im not going to have the problem ... of burnt lnbs its hard to explain but its not exactly on the dish part.. theres no rust on the dish so thats ok.. just basic replacing peeled paint :)

=====================

wmy question..

it measures 1m left to right.. but its oval what size dish would that be??

J

Jeff_19341

1m, as it is an offset dish the signal from the satellite see's a circle not an oval.

johnsattuk

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
West Mids, UK
JuMbuCk said:
Paint it with nice glossy hammerite, then when the suns rays hit the dish you will find a nice hole burnt in the cap of the LNB. Might even melt the plastic cap.

'Hammerite' does not have to be glossy, matting agents can easily be added to most paints, as you would have to with car paints which usually have a higher gloss finish than 'hammerite', also the slighly undulating finish would I think defocus the light rays to some extent.

ShaunSat

Satellite Jumper
Reaction score
Website
www.satellitestuff.bravehost.com
My Satellite Setup
Analogue FTA - Maspro ST9,
Sky Digibox - Amstrad DRX100(no subscription),
Digital FTA - Manhattan Plaza ST100 with motorised 98CM dish.
My Location
Essex, UK
Looking forward to seeing the pictures, i am sure i have seen a similar dish somewhere but i cant remember where, or even if i dreamed it :-doh! :D

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
cheers guys.

Anyway she's up and pulling in signals :)

Problem though.. same as the old dish.. get 13e 19e 28e but no 16e..

Looked closer and there is nothing blocking her sight.

I have these as my lon lat

53:31:33N (53.5259) ^ for this i entered 533 (5:33)
2:10:12W (-2.17) ^ for this one i entered simply (2) and west

is this correct ..

Only reason i ask is when i enter 211 i get a signal on 16e on the bt transponder.. but when i enter a 2 it goes.. im thinking i have this hole concept wrong :(

J

Jeff_19341

Why do you not enter 2.17 if you need two decimal points or 2.2 if you only need one decimal point? Bigger the dish the tighter the beamwidth.
Strong Transponder on 16*east here is 11513V, 28800, 7/8.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
JuMbuCk said:
Why do you not enter 2.17 if you need two decimal points or 2.2 if you only need one decimal point? Bigger the dish the tighter the beamwidth.
Strong Transponder on 16*east here is 11513V, 28800, 7/8.

Sorry you lost me lol..

Just checked.. moved dish manualy with dis 1.2 got signal in 80's but couldnt stop it so i presume my digits are out in 1.3..

Im not sure how to enter these bloody numbers in the box,.. amazing.. can set the dish up get that working but cant enter a few numbers into a menu :S

J

Jeff_19341

Hi Yeshi
According to Multimap, Portsmouth North End is 50.8*north and 1.1*west.
Have you moved home or are you putting in the wrong co-ordinates?
Your co-ordinates put you somewhere near Manchester???

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
LOL no theyre the write co-ordinates.. ive moved to oldham. .. i know the co ordinates but i dont know how to enter them..

Ive just dropped £130 and bought a technomate 1500ci super :)

Lancelot

Retired Mod
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
SS1.
125cm Gibbi with Channelmaster feedhorn and Inverto C120 twin.
36v H to H 62E - 61.5W
My Location
South central
Good choice :)

Got a picture of the new dish yet then ??

L.

J

Jeff_19341

The Technomates that I have/had will accept one decimal place for lat and long.
Hence yours would be Latitude 53.5 north and Longitude 002.2 west.

Yeshi

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Behind pin 9 on an atmel
No pics yet.. got to find some spray to match the colour .. car shops are scarce round this kneck of the woods.. ..

Jumbuck

I would enter 53.5 and 002.2 ??

I will give it a try when the mrs goes to bed :)

The mrs actually told me to buy the techonomate and get it ordered there and then lol.. i couldnt say no :D Infact she said why didnt you say u wanted one i would of bought 1 for christmas LOL..

Topper

Amo Amas Amant Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Has gone to a good home elsewhere
My Location
Blackburn, Lancashire
Yeshi said:
LOL no theyre the write co-ordinates.. ive moved to oldham.

Welcome to the frozen tundra region of the North West Yeshi

Yeshi said:
car shops are scarce round this kneck of the woods.. ..
We assume you have not got your bearings yet, it's a shame.... A to Zeds are not common for the north west so people tend to navigate using references to pubs and mini roundabouts lol. Good luck with the setup