Old Macintosh - Fit for the bin ?

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
Ive just been clearing out some more of the garage and Ive come across a couple of Macintosh PCs.

A Power 7200/75, an LC475 and a massive Quadra 950. I can also see a 19" monitor and mouse, with microphone and some specific leads in the back of the shed.

Ive no reason to doubt that they work fine (I remember the Quadra was fully loaded with creative design software when I got hold of it years ago, the memory slots are full of additional daughterboards and I even have a spare motherboard and PSU for it) and I probably will never get to see the true potential of what any of them can do.

My question is, why do these things never command any sort of resale price ? On eBay there is a Quadra that the bloke is having trouble flogging for as tenner, has the Mac fallen from grace, or does the later firmware - OS10 ? make everything from a few years back completely redundant ?

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
The best thing you can do with macs is this:
h**p://www.microstar.net/museum/mactank.html

;) :D

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
site doesnt load to give pictures, anyway I prefer fish in batter, or swimming freely.

gameboy

Ding Dang Doo
Reaction score
Website
www.gamezplay.org
My Satellite Setup
DreamBox 7000s - Nokia Freeview - Several GameBoys - DS Lite - ZX81 - SNES - N64 - Saturn - Dreamcast - PlayStation - PS2 - Gamecube - PSP - iPod - iPhone - XBox - PS3 - Wii - iPad - No Life!
My Location
Scotland
The Macs you have are still good and lot of students could use them.

Problem is that Apple's have advanced in speed, power, design over the past years.

I still use Quadras daily on a network with the latest G5s and everything in between. They also have a nubus slot for old ISDN cards if that help you sell it. But then ISDN is disappearing fast....

If you visit the Apple website you will see why the resale value is so low.

They have a new mini Mac that has a G4 processor and comes complete with all the software for Music, Pictures, Videos and DVD creation for $499.

Don't want to open a can of worms, but, - put it this way, your Quadra is at least 6 years old - try selling a six-year-old PC!

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
gameboy said:
Don't want to open a can of worms, but, - put it this way, your Quadra is at least 6 years old - try selling a six-year-old PC!

Thats the answer I was looking for , the motherboard of the Quadra has 1992 on it, the others are 1995 and 6 I think.

So its obselete, and I didnt think much apart from this industry went that way
(Maybe there will be repeat wave if I hang onto them long enough, it worked with 1.2m dishes....)

Channel Hopper

Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK

Attachments

• 20210430_080350[1].jpg
    20210430_080350[1].jpg
    503.6 KB · Views: 6

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Holy thread resurrection Batman :D

16 years later!

cokeaddict

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Vu+ Ultimo4K, Uno4K SE, Uno4K, Solo4K, Zero4K, Duo2, SoloSE v1 & v2, Solo2, Ultimo, Uno, Duo, Motorised CM 1.2m dish, Hybrid Titanium Smart Lnb with CM feedhorn and a Zone2 minidish with Inverto Unicable II
My Location
53°E - 45°W
Shame you don't have an Apple 1 tucked away in there, then you would be quids in.