Old Nokia Satscan/Gregorian Dish setup - can I still use it?

jmbrailsford

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ 160gb self upgrade, Panasonic 42" HD Plasma blah blah....
My Location
Scotland
Hi,
I have a 1.2m Gregorian dish ( can't remember make but it was one of the best dishes in it's day and cost about £450 when bought ) that was setup with my old Nokia Satscan 1800s receiver.

The dish itself has only been used the last 3 years with SKY+ using a twin universal LNB and attached to the arm via various cable ties - I can't fit it direct to feedhorn as it's a C120 fit and the SKY LNB is obviously meant for it's own style dish.

I am considering going motorised again with a Technomate 1500+ receiver and another dish with The Moteck 2100A motor.

However is it still possible to use the old gregorian dish which is still in mint condition after 10 years and change the fitting on the rear of the dish to fit a new polar mount, I can't use the existing one as its is specifically for the satscan mount and motor. Although the Nokia is still useable I assume it would be better with a new receiver and motor as this would reduce the number of boxes in setup to just the Technomate and the SKY+ box.

Or is there any way I can use the old setup with the Nokia to move the dish as before and add in the Technomate and SKY+ at the same time, bearing in mind that the Nokia uses 1 cable to move the dish and switch the polarity on the LNB to whatever channel it is on.

Sorry for the long winded post, but if anyone can advise me as to the best option I'd be extremely grateful.

Buying a new receiver, dish and motor is no problem, it's just that I am loathe to throw away a pefectly good dish if it is still useable.

Thanks,

Mike.

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
I would use the Nokia as a positioner, replace the LNB with a C120 quad, and away you go! Technomate is a good choice.

Park your dish at 28.2E when not in use, and overnight to catch OTA updates.

STICK.

steffo78

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
28E 19E on 120cm Gibertini homemade sidemount with Gibertini feedhorn, Inverto C120. 5E 1W on 85cm triax. Digiality VC-CI 204 and Triax dvb-65s receivers. Matrix-cam not working. Swedish Canaldigital "local", Norwegian Viasat.
My Location
Sweden/Norway,Telemark
That dish is still the best for its size, very attractive with high gain.
If I had id I would never get rid of it!
Do a search on the forum and you will find more people with this dish and motorsolutions.

jmbrailsford

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky+ 160gb self upgrade, Panasonic 42" HD Plasma blah blah....
My Location
Scotland
steffo78 said:
That dish is still the best for its size, very attractive with high gain.
If I had id I would never get rid of it!
Do a search on the forum and you will find more people with this dish and motorsolutions.

Hi,
thanks for the reply, any ideas how I might modify it for use with a newer style sat receiver, I assume changing the mount/fitting on the rear of the dish would be possible.

Rather not use the Nokia Satscan receiver as I want to keep the number of boxes to a minimum, already have SKY+ along with DVD player, DVD recorder, Amp etc etc.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Mike.