Old Sky Analogue Dish and Fortec

KyleRickards

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
FTA Fortec HD Satellite Receiver, minidish, only aligned to 28.2
My Location
UK
Hi all

I have an old analogue dish still on my house with cable. As an experiment I connected it to my Fortec Passion and did a scan on 19.2e as I seem to remember that was the old alignment but cannot pick anything up. Could the dish/lnb be totally beyond use now or am I setting the scan wrong? I did change LNB type to 9750 in the settings on the Passion.

Thanks in advance
Kyle

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
Its could well be an old 10,000MHz lnb.

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Near Pontop Pike, Co. Durham
Very old sky dishes, as mentioned by AS usually have 10GHz, later ones used "Enhanced" 9.75GHz LNBs and then followed by Universal 9.75/10.6GHz LNBs, your best bet is to shimmy up a ladder (if the dish is low enough) and see if the LNB still has it's label and is readable, or, post a photo of the dish and I'm sure we could guess which LNB is fitted... :)

But as a rule of thumb, 10GHz or 9.75GHz is the norm, and if that picks up nothing, it's either a duff LNB or the cable's shot... :)

KyleRickards

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Hi all

Thanks for help, here is the pic.

Kyle

Attachments

• DSC01307.jpg
    DSC01307.jpg
    425.3 KB · Views: 70

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
No satellite stuff for the moment (aside from a 43cm minidish that was on the house already), Samsung SyncMaster T27B550 Smart TV & Monitor, and a few computers...
My Location
Looks like a Cambridge Enhanced or Universal to me, most likely Enhanced going by the age rust on the dish... :)

Though, I think the cable's pretty much shot as there's no waterproofing on the F plug on the LNB, so water's probably gotten in and damaged the copper shielding... :(

But, if the dish is easily accessible, you can replace the cable (if the LNB is a Universal, otherwise it's the hacksaw treatment!!!), and use self-amagumating tape to seal the connection up, Cambridges are pretty reliable LNBs, so should still work... :)

KyleRickards

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
Thanks 2CV, to be honest, it's fairly high up so I may leave it, was just curious if it would work! :)

ralphmagno

Reaction score
My Location
naples italy
hello, looks like a old cambrige.
for the 4 euro for a new lnb i would change the lnb and check the f connector as well.
if the cable is cracked or broken you should change this as well.
th e digital receiver should work no problem after this but you will pick up a lot of german tv on 19 east.
:)
ralph

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
KyleRickards said:
Thanks 2CV, to be honest, it's fairly high up so I may leave it, was just curious if it would work! :)

No probs, it's like an old car that's been sat a while, just needs tinkering and some new parts to get it going again... :)

But you know what to do now if you do fancy looking at Astra 1 @ 19.2E sometime in the future... :)

KyleRickards

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
UK
BTW, is anyone good at VCR repairs? LOL

Analoguesat

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
TM 5402HD
Sky+ UK.
My Location
Scottish Borders
I found one of those lnb's in my junk box. Its a Cambridge AE35 9750MHz enhanced type. Will work for satellite frequencies up to about 11700MHz or for all the 19E analogue channels.

(Also found several universal lnb's Id forgotten about :-rofl2)

2cvbloke

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
KyleRickards said:
BTW, is anyone good at VCR repairs? LOL

I'm good at breaking them, but fixing them, nah... :-rofl2
(I have Betamax though, much better than VHS!!!)