Old viewing card in new digi box???

ini

Reaction score
Hallo,

I guess my amstrad drx 100 packed up. "No satellite signal is being received".
I bought a new box (pace 2600). Will I need to register my viewing card to my new digi box with sky or will the card work ok without phoning sky? Phoning is always a risk from outside the UK (Germany)
Who can help me?
Thanx:confused

georgia_grrl

Reaction score
i think you can do it from the services menu (services, 4, 0, 1. (0 will look like its not done anything, but its the entry to the engineer menu)

not in front of a sky box right now, so this is from memory.

if you only want the most basic channels, i.e. none of the premium ones, it would work without that.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
To marry your card to the box, Sky will need to be phoned, unfortunately the "New Installation" feature only works with an unpaired card. As georgia grrl says though, your standard channels will still work with an unpaired card.

I use my UK mobile to phone Sky from abroad and have no problems, in fact had to do it at Christmas to pair a card to a new box in France.

ini

Reaction score
Thanks for the quick answers.

But what is an a paired card?? I bought my current box on ebay and got a sky card seperately. I phoned sky to set it up. So I will have to do it all again, won´t I? What a pain in the ... . Considering we all are part of the EU we should be free to choose our tv provider.

ini

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
The phoning of Sky to pair a card has nothing to do with freedom of choice, you would have to the same with your German Premiere card. I agree though that in an ideal world, all of the companies should be able to sell into any country in the EU.

PS. To answer your question, each card is paired to an individual digibox, hence why you called Sky to set it up.

billnot

Growing Old Disgracefully
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Famaval 3,1, IP9000HD plus other FTA and Linux boxes - Astra 1&2, Hotbird, Hispasat
My Location
Benitachell, Alicante, Spain
rolfw said:
I use my UK mobile to phone Sky from abroad and have no problems, in fact had to do it at Christmas to pair a card to a new box in France.

I have a Royal Mail (virtual) phone card which I use for the purpose - I'm reliable informed that the CLI comes up as UK withheld when I call from Spain. I call a special UK number, input my PIN and then dial the (UK) number I require. I have had no bother in marrying quite a few cards for friends and neigbours (I'm in Spain)

devonbrown

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
4 systems. In Scotland Freesat with Humax Foxsat recorder. In Algarve 1.5 fixed Inv Quad LNB with 3 Pace 2600C1 and 1 Amstrad HD DRX780UK also 80cm dish with Inverto 0.2db monoblock LNB (19.2E/26E) feeding Technomate 5000CI+ usb.
My Location
Scotlandl and Algarve
Why not use an internet telephone provider like SKYPE to make your phone calls to $ky? That way you get the benefit of cheap phone calls with no one knowing where you are phoning from.

waynesworld

Reaction score
ini said:
Hallo,

I guess my amstrad drx 100 packed up. "No satellite signal is being received".
I bought a new box (pace 2600). Will I need to register my viewing card to my new digi box with sky or will the card work ok without phoning sky? Phoning is always a risk from outside the UK (Germany)
Who can help me?
Thanx:confused
you have to ring sky or your card will noy work on sports and films thy will need the viewing card number serial number and version number allfound under services no 4 then no5

jtkeep

Reaction score
I was wondering if i get my sister who lives in UK, to ring to sky, to get my sky box married to the card, will they not be able to see she has no sky account???

All the best Thomas

indios_se

Reaction score
Website
www.skyforeurope.com
My Location
Sweden
this person must pretend that they are the card holder they will ask for all the system details, the address, post code etc, however if your card is signed up by you, then your sister calling will give it away a bit that she is not a man...

ini

Reaction score
Hallo,

I received my new sky box (pace 2600). All i had to do was to place the old sky viewing card in the new box and all channels were there.
No need to phone sky. That was lucky.

Thank you for all your replies!