One dish, 3LNBs, no hotbird

stuarta

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pre-purchase questions
My Location
France
Hi all,

I've just received my new topfield PVR and done my first ever installation - an 85cm visiosat dish set up on 19.2E with an adapter bracket for 2 more LNBs. the first is receiving astra 2 at 28.2E with no problems (85% quality)but I can't get a sniff of hotbird on 13.0E. I've tried pointing it everywhere, in, out,up,down, all combinations of angles etc. but no joy. Does anyone know of an idiots (and/or total newbiws) guide on how to set up such a system - most of what I can find is for motorised setups. i have seen one or two (eg satcure.com) but the images are very rough and don't help much.

Thanks in anticipation,

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Is this the Visiosat Bisat dish? http://sccshop.co.uk//product_info.php?cPath=21_104&products_id=93

If not, which offset bracket are you using, a picture would be nice.

If you are setting up a multiple LNB dish, the way you do it will depend on the type of bracket, when you look at the bracket from behind the dish, at what position are the LNB clamps in relation to the boom arm?

stuarta

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pre-purchase questions
My Location
France
Hi, thanks for the reply.

The bracket is basically a plain lump of aluminium, machined to allow the LNBs to slide and twist in the horizontal plane. It attaches to the middle LNB and the others are mounted from there. (At least I assume so - no instructions!)

10008113.jpg

The dish is just a plain old visiosat 85cm dish - the Bisat G3 would have been nice but no funds at the moment!

g-ant80.gif

I'm still fine tuning the setup for 19.0E/28.2E but both are at least 90% now.

Thanks again,

Stuart

p.s. Just looked again and I think there's a big tree in the way - would that do it?

BGonaSTICK

Retired Moderator
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Dreambox 7000, Skystar2
My Location
Brighton
Having a big tree in the way will do it good and proper.

Installation instructions :-

1) Ensure clear line of sight to all satellites required
2) Everything else

Looks like a dish relocation or whip out the STIHL

stuarta

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pre-purchase questions
My Location
France
Thanks,
I'm trying to figure out whether I can reposition / setup a second dish to look between/over the trees.

At least it might be a bit easier when the leaves fall off!

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
If you can see 19E, then it is only a six degree difference and a relatively small move of the dish to enable reception, that is of course assuming that you don't have a potential problem on the 28.2 side.

stuarta

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
pre-purchase questions
My Location
France
Thanks for the help everyone - I bit the bullet and moved my dish up onto the chimney yesterday - 5 minutes and I had 3 satellites at 99%/99%/93% - I think I can call that a success!

markyd23

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5400+ & LNB
Humax Foxsat HD+ Freesat box
Sky+ box, Satlink meter
80cm solid dish goldstar 0.3 LNB with satfinder motor
Panasonic digibox Pace digibox goldstar
80cm mesh dish, Skystar2 pc card 139 inline boosters!
My Location
south scotland
stuarta said:
Thanks for the help everyone - I bit the bullet and moved my dish up onto the chimney yesterday - 5 minutes and I had 3 satellites at 99%/99%/93% - I think I can call that a success!

I have sympathy having had recent problems with hotbird but glad you are sorted. After reading your 'tree' post, one thing which puzzles / infuriates me around our area is there are loads and loads of dishes either on people's roofs (pointed straight through the roof from 6 inches away or in people's gardens pointed straight through huge bits of woodland from ground level. They obviously have it working - how?? I seem to have had to do the biggest bit of woodland management of all time just to get any clear sky!