One dish, two LNBs (Sky/French)

kevinw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Hi,

Is it possible to fit a Sky minidish with a second LNB to receive French analogue channels on Telecom 2C or would I need another dish?

Thanks,
Kevin

P.S. Before anyone asks, I've got an analogue decoder and a French PAL/Secam TV (in addition to all my regular stuff) both of which I bought when I was living in France.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Won't be any good with the minidish Kevin, you'll need a minimum of 60cm dish, you can probably pick up an old Sky analogue dish though for next to nothing and if its a later one it may even have a universal LNB.

kevinw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Originally posted by rolfw
Won't be any good with the minidish Kevin, you'll need a minimum of 60cm dish, you can probably pick up an old Sky analogue dish though for next to nothing and if its a later one it may even have a universal LNB.

Thanks, Rolf. So with a 60cm dish, could I have two LNBs, one for Sky, one for French analogue?

Incidentally, in which direction would the dish be pointed? Halfway between the two satellites, with the LNBs adjusted accordingly?

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
No Kevin, the Dish would need to be pointing at 5 West with Sky as the secondary sat, but this is not really a workable solution as the satellites are too far apart. Better to go for two dishes, most people can get away with this, providing they are not right on the front of the house.

Alternatively there is a dish called the torroidal 55 http://www.sccdistribution.co.uk/ this dish can cater for several LNBs on a 40 degree plus arc. I don't believe that you can buy direct from them, but they may advise you where to buy at retail.

kevinw

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
London
Thanks, Rolf. Those torroidal dishes look awesome!

But I think I'll just get an old analogue dish and do it that way. It's probably much cheaper.

rolfw

Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
Berkshire
Sorry, missed your reply Kevin, yes it will be a lot cheaper, you may need to replace the LNB though for a universal if the old dish doesn't have one. Worth checking on your receiver to make sure that it has a setting for universal in the setup menu.