Only receiving some satellites?

M

Mike16

I recently purchased a H-H motor and installed it according to the insructions elsewhere on this forum. I believe I am tracking "the belt" because I am able to receive several satellites across 29 degrees of arc (both Astras (28E & 19E), Hotbird (13E), Sirus (5E) and Thor/Intelsat707 (1W)). I receive strong, claer signals from these satellites.

I cannot receive satellites on either side of these limits because the dish's line-of-sight is limited by trees. I have a clear view from about 35E to 3W, so I do not know if my motor is tracking "the belt" across the entire sky.

However, I do not understand why I cannot receive certain satellites within my visibile arc (such as Eutelsat W2 (16E), W1 (10E), and W3 (7E)) when I can receive satellites on either side of them. I live near Frankfurt, Germany and have an 80cm dish.

Any explanation or assistance in receiving these Eutelsat channels would be greatly appreciated.

Mike

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Mike

E16 and E10 are genrally not as strong at the others you mention, so perhaps a little 'tweeking' of you system might help.

2old posted a list of 'tweeking' suggestions recently, perhaps a look throgh it would give you a few ideas.

The mose likely things are incorrect allignment, either not having your angle of elevation set correctly, and here an error of a couple of mm. can make a lot of difference even on an 80cm dish, even more on larger ones,

or

perhaps your East/West allignment is a bit out. Try peaking your signal on W1 or W0.08 and checking that this is the central posiotion on your arc.

E16 does have strongish signals on:

12.714 V Romania 1 EUT0W2KW 9913 3/4 and
11.303 V Georgian TV EUT0W2KW 30000 3/4

See if you can get these, if not then you do have a problem.

But come back as for any problem there is an answer?

Kind regards

W Hole

M

Mike16

W Hole,

I "tweaked" my dish alignment last weekend in accordance with 2old's instructions. It didn't seem to make much of a difference. I can generally get 1 or 2 transponders from each of the weaker satellites mentioned. I have checked the footprints of the weaker satellites and fall outside of their coverage area. So I am assuming the dish is more or less aligned.???.

I understand there is a difference in the performance of receivers and LNB's. I have a Strong SRT-4375. What Satellite says it has a "low threshold." I assume that is good. My LNB is an Alps and was pretty cheap (USD 20). Would a higher performance LNB help pull in those weaker signals? Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the help,
Mike

ckrys1

Reaction score
My Location
pj::
Sorry to butt in - you mentioned 2old`s list of `tweaking` suggestions, but I can`t find them,despite using search. Where are they?

Chris

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
Try this one http://www.satellites.co.uk/scripts/webforum/DCForumID20/62.html

Rolf

w hole

Reaction score
My Location
uk
Hello Mike

A better lnb 'might' help, but unless you are particularly interested in some hard to get station, you may find that the cost will be prohibitive.

From what I can see they seem to go from normal to very expensive without any steps in between.

Good luck

W Hole

J

jamie2001

Hi all,

I have the same problem with a strong srt4375. I can get most of the sats i want i.e:

astra 19.2/28.2 Hotbird, sirius, intelsat 707, telecom 2b, eutelsat w2 16 deg east, w3 7 deg e.

Im happy as larry with what i get but it bugs me a bit as ther are obviously more i should be able to get. i can get a great sig strengh on some of the other sats such as arabsat across a good range of tp's but the receiver just will not download any channels. i do realise that most of the sats i have are in the east and so imagine that my dish (1.1 mtr) needs a little tweaking. howether this does not explain the prob i have with the example above (arabsat)...any ideas?

regards,

j

M

mark0804

hi everyone

when aligning a horizon -horizon mount, set the centre position at sirus 1 west and set your elevation untill you get a picture from this sat...the inclination will be zero on the dish ...then swing it manually untill all sats can be reached..a little tweeking here and there should do it...

please feel free to ask ...

watkinsmarkie@aol.com

Channel Hopper

Suffering fools, so you don't have to.
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.sat-elite.uk
My Satellite Setup
A little less analogue, and a lot more crap.
My Location
UK
With the SRT 4375 its almost certain that the channel database does not reflect the current channel list on these satellites

Have you tried the Lyngsat site and then put in the correct parameters for a manual tune

Otherwise small tweaking of the LNB in its holder may help. Some of the transponders on the satellites with trouble are not always true Vertical /Horizontal and your location may also have an impact