Ooooh Dear - Now I'm in trouble with lnbs

richardinalex

Reaction score
Website
Visit site
My Location
Alexandria, Egypt
Remember me - in Alexandria - picking up some of the Sky's stronger signals on a little (relatively) 1.8m dish.

Didn't manage to mess around (or mess up!) too much this weekend - but have managed to wangle for a few days - (just to to try it out) a 2.4m dish - one piece - Egyptian moulded dish.

Now the question is - what lnb. I've been told over and over again that I need an invacom 0.3dB, but I'll need to import these - apparently they're not easy to come by here - importation = time

What is on offer locally are three different lnb types:-

a) Astra 0.5dB - according to the sat man there's another SKY system operating in Alex with this lnb (2.4m dish) - but no Astra 2D

:cool: Super Force 0.4dB - I can't find anything on the wwwwwebbb about this

c) Nokia Laser 0.2dB - I can find some limited info on Nokia lnbs at there web page - but nothing with such a low dB ref

Obviously I'll try this Astra lnb (since it has allegedly worked in Alex), but I'm curious if:-

a) anyone has heard of / has info on the other two? or

:cool: will a lower dB rating equate to a better signal? - What's the down side of a low lnb rating?

Sorry about all the a's and b's - must try and do better next time.

Cheers

Richard

PS - its getting quite hot here.

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
33c here,still you have the curse of the mummy to worry about........you must take the published noise figure of lnbs with a very big pinch of salt,the noise level they quote is taken from a reference dish on a specific frequency,as they fit on many different types of dish and are used over many freqencies you will hardly ever achieve their result. Many .06 lnbs are much better than so called .03 expensive ones.I will not recommend one because i will be shot down in flames,but search the forums for other peoples results................brian

O

Old Fred

Forget so-called "noise figures" measured under ideal conditions in a laboratory.

According to Salvador Ferrairo who tested a bunch of LNBs in Gandia (southern Spain) the best LNBs for Astra 2D reception are the Manhattan MTI 0.6dB range. These are grey plastic (standard 40mm neck fitting) and white painted metal (C120 flange type).
Fred

dishdoctor

Hmm, now what seems to be the problem?
Reaction score
My Location
Torreblanca ,Malaga
All the MTI lnbs are produced on the same production line,it is only when the pcb is tested,if it rates highly it is given a blue case but if it is up to normal standard it is given a grey case,this is direct from the managing directors mouth,so it must be true......brian

xerxes

Reaction score
My Location
Munich, Germany
I'm getting a bit confused here.

Are MTI Blue Lines better than MTI non- Blue Lines, or aren't they?

The MTI AP8-T2 (non Blue Line) seems to have been frequently recommended in various forums. Is this in fact better than the MTI AP8-T2B (Blue Line)?

In Germany where I live the MTI AP8-T2B is a bit more expensive, but appears to be more readily available.

rolfw

Believe it when I see it Admin.
Staff member
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Technomate 5402 HD M2 Ci, DM7000s, Transparent 80cm Dish, Moteck SG2100 DiseqC motor, lots of legacy gear. Meters: Satlook Digital NIT, Promax HD Ranger+ spectrum analyser.
My Location
Berkshire
@ Xerxes, as Dishdoctor says, the Blueline is simply the standard which has been tested and found to have a better noise figure, so should perform better.

Robbiewright

Member of the Big Dish Club
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
Sky plus V3 and a 50 inch plasma screen.
My Location
Cairo, Egypt
Richard,

I am in Cairo and have a 2.4 meter dish, I had a 3.1 meter mesh dish but moved house a few times and the mash dish didn't handle the moves to well, I get the same channels with the solid dish. I tried a made in Egypt dish but it didn't work very well so I got an inported one, cost a bit more, (about 600 le) but worth it.

If you ever come to Cairo feel free to contact me, robbie20462@yahoo.com
and come and have a look at my set up and may be sink a beer or two.

Cheers, Robbie.