openvix development cycle

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Thank you huevos, i will sort it tomorrow:).

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
Thanks Huevos, have got it loaded now but as I've read on the posts following the link you've posted, Zeus doesn't support back ups made under previous images. I'll get it working so far tonight but will pencil in tomorrow to sort it all out again.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Would it not be possible huevos to put the needed files in the rar with the F/W with a read me to stop this happening please.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
Well just a read me before install/maybe a link to the needed files, something like that, when I used to flash my older TM there was always a read me in the file.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Bootloader is from the manufacturer. So it is up to the user to keep that up-to-date. The only reason it is mentioned is because TM is the only one to have changed bootloaders since the last build. Can't go in the .zip file as that is automatically created. And anyway what if you miss a build? If you still had the old bootloader you would need to update, but someone that already had updated would not.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Huevos, I don't go on the other forum nowadays but use a link to the openvix downloads. Admittedly if I did look at the other forum, I may have seen the need to update the bootloader and that 'Zeus' didn't support previous image backups. Mea Culpa. But I don't like using a site where it asks me to change my password several times a year, I have enough problems remembering the ones I do use LOL.

Maybe a readme on the Open Vix download section would have been useful, that's all....

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I may have seen [...] that 'Zeus' didn't support previous image backups. Mea Culpa. But I don't like using a site where it asks me to change my password several times a year, I have enough problems remembering the ones I do use LOL.
No new version supports back-ups from previous versions. That has always been the case.

And the password, if it bothers you just re-use the same one.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
No new version supports back-ups from previous versions. That has always been the case.

And the password, if it bothers you just re-use the same one.

Have had the VU+ for a quite a while now and any new 'version' has always been able to utilise a backup. This is the first time I've not been able to. Maybe what I've been downloading are multiple revisions of the same image.

I've tried to use the same password and had it rejected. It doesn't bother me too much as I didn't visit the forum all that often. That may be why I've not been well informed, though I don't think a short post on the VU+ section here, telling members about the new image and the possible need to update your bootloader would have hurt. Anyway, I'm not going to labour the point...

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
I mustard mitt that the password changes are really annoying... and is off-putting enough for me not to visit the forum. Same with Linux Sat.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Have had the VU+ for a quite a while now and any new 'version' has always been able to utilise a backup. This is the first time I've not been able to. Maybe what I've been downloading are multiple revisions of the same image.
Old version back-ups were never compatible with newer versions, but no one listened or read the readme's or tutorials. So what happened was lots of people complaining about issues provoked by using incompatible back up's. So it was decided that the software checks the compatibility and and refuses backup's that are not compatible.

It's a bit like the difference between putting up a sign that says 'keep off the grass' or putting a fence around the grass. If you put up a sign people either claim to have not seen it or just ignore it and blunder on anyway. Whereas if you put up a fence people don't commit the offense but protest about the implementation of the fence. So from the point of view of those writing the software it is a lose-lose situation, but the fence of course is a lot more effective, and saves lots of time answering questions only to discover the asker of those questions hadn't followed the instructions.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
But that's all the point, all the instructions are not in one place.

Open the new FW no instructions, resort to the last instructions how to flash the nano, and that's not what you have to do, look at this link and download the bootloader after the horse has bolted.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
But that's all the point, all the instructions are not in one place.

Open the new FW no instructions, resort to the last instructions how to flash the nano, and that's not what you have to do, look at this link and download the bootloader after the horse has bolted.
The instructions are in the release thread, along with the TM bootloader. My opinion is this is a fantastic piece of software. I really don't see the point bashing the authors who have spent who have spent 100's of hours of their own time perfecting this, for little to no return, just because it is too difficult to do 5 minutes research before loading it.

Archived-1

Persona non grata
Reaction score
My Location
uk
The instructions are in the release thread, along with the TM bootloader. My opinion is this is a fantastic piece of software. I really don't see the point bashing the authors who have spent who have spent 100's of hours of their own time perfecting this, for little to no return, just because it is too difficult to do 5 minutes research before loading it.
You must have got me wrong huevos, all I was saying it would take 2 mins to put a read me file in the rar file on how to install the new fw to save this happening, and save hours of discussion explaining it/pointing peeps to post etc,

I am grateful for any updates new fw etc, I guess its not an easy task and thanks to all involved.

Just something like this that takes seconds to do and would have prevented me and I guess other peeps from making the same mistake.
Capture.PNG

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
I don't think anyone is denigrating the amount of work that's gone into the firmware, it's not a criticism but a suggestion from end users. Look at it as feedback if you will.

I have little doubt it is a fantastic development, though as yet other than a change of loading screen I can't tell much difference. I do know that with a Solo the opportunity for change is limited (e.g. no chance of implementing a blind scan). I've spent most of the day re entering my multisat settings, rescanning 16 satellites and setting up my favourites again. I'll be forewarned next time there is a complete firmware change and my intention is to get DBedit working under WINE on this laptop.

Pheonix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
Would it not be possible huevos to put the needed files in the rar with the F/W with a read me to stop this happening please.

I very clearly stated in the OpenViX Zeus release thread that the Technomate receivers required a new bootloader, I also did the same on the OpenViX twitter account.

https://twitter.com/0penViX

check the tweets from the 11th of march

pheonix;273555 said:
If you have a Technomate OE series receiver you will need to flash a new bootloader first before flashing Zeus to your receiver, once flashed you will no longer be able use a older ViX 3.0 series image unless you downgrade the bootloader, as always exorcise caution when flashing bootloader..

Technomate Bootloaders download HERE

Pheonix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
You must have got me wrong huevos, all I was saying it would take 2 mins to put a read me file in the rar file on how to install the new fw to save this happening, and save hours of discussion explaining it/pointing peeps to post etc,

I am grateful for any updates new fw etc, I guess its not an easy task and thanks to all involved.

Just something like this that takes seconds to do and would have prevented me and I guess other peeps from making the same mistake.
View attachment 63023

The problem with that is that all our images ( almost 30 at this moment ) are build pre packed into individual .zip archives, we would then have to download every image, unpack, add the readme then repack and reupload to the server. now i dont know about you but my internet connection is total pants, and it takes me 15 minutes to upload a single image at around 40 meg, times that by 30, sometimes several times a day.

I hope you get my drift.

any way if you want to keep updated but dont want to visit WoS just follow our twitter feed, I keep that updated my self with the necessary info.

Last edited:

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
I finally decide to bite the bullet and install the latest image, and what happens when I try to download it?
Error infile-counton line 1334.
./openvix-builds/Vu+Solo2/openvix-Zeus.009-vusolo2_usb.zip is already defined.
I think it's a sign.... :)

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Despite my protestations, grumbles and grumpiness, that 'Zeus' image has been running fine here for the last fortnight or so. I still wasn't happy that I had to set up the Solo all over again because it didn't support previous back up's, though I've made sure there is an image back up now. I'm sure it's vastly improved in many ways for those who like to investigate the image's possibilities but to me, it doesn't seem very different...and I still maintain a readme file, on the Vix download site would have helped..