openvix development cycle

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
57E to 58W, C-band and Ku, DVB-S2, 4:2:2 and blindscan.
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
it doesn't seem very different...
You've got to remember the Solo is a pretty basic box so most changes are pretty subtle. For a box like Solo2 there are lots of noticeable changes, such as OpenTV and ABM using the second tuner so viewing isn't interrupted, changes to PiP, changes to EPG, etc. Also for Solo2 Vu+ has released a Blindscan binary so Blindscan plugin is now working for that receiver.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
near Geneva, Haute-Savoie, France
Sign that I shouldn't install it yet :) But thanks for the link, am downloading it. Is openvix.co.uk no longer valid? As of yesterday it was still being linked to from WOS.

Edit: go here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?36140-Vix-s-Zeus-release! and any of the download links (haven't tested all of them) result in the above error.

Last edited:

sonnetpete

Grumpy Old Retired Moderator and quiz inquisitor..
Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

Seperate 80 cm dish on 28E with a Humax Freesat for SWMBO.
Free Sat V8 meter. Sony Bravia 46" LCD, Sony BluRay and Home Cinema.
My Location
Normandy, France
You've got to remember the Solo is a pretty basic box so most changes are pretty subtle. For a box like Solo2 there are lots of noticeable changes, such as OpenTV and ABM using the second tuner so viewing isn't interrupted, changes to PiP, changes to EPG, etc. Also for Solo2 Vu+ has released a Blindscan binary so Blindscan plugin is now working for that receiver.

Ok, granted there are a lot of changes on this image....but I'm not so sure that I'll be upgrading to the next iteration when it appears. For the moment, I'm happy with my original Solo and have no wish to change to a Solo2. From what you've said most of the image development is going into the newer boxes which is probably as it should be.

But, I feel there is limit to what you can expect a Solo to do. In a way it's like upgrading to Windows 8 and expecting it to run on a 10 year old computer. I'm sure the lack of processing power and memory inherit in a Solo are taken into account but developers should be wary of packing too many additional features into a Solo image that a Solo user may neither need nor ever use. Yes, there is no compunction to download a new image if the one you are using is working ok, though there is a persuasive thought that you will be 'left behind' if you don't.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
From what you've said most of the image development is going into the newer boxes which is probably as it should be.
Pete, that's not true. The changes go to all supported receivers, it's just that the Solo is a very basic single tuner box so when it comes to things like PiP or anything else that requires 2 tuners it will not be available on that receiver. So, for example, all the changes in CrossEPG work on the Solo, except that the download has to occur on the primary tuner as it is the only one (unless you were to plug in a USB tuner stick).

The reason I mentioned the Solo2 is because that is the receiver Hairybadger is using, not because it is a later receiver.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup
Laminas 1.2M fibre dish with an IBU, on a Clarke Tech USALS motor, covering 57E - 24.5W to an Octagon SX88. Displayed on a 20" Dyon LED TV.

My Location
Normandy, France
Pete, that's not true. The changes go to all supported receivers, it's just that the Solo is a very basic single tuner box so when it comes to things like PiP or anything else that requires 2 tuners it will not be available on that receiver. So, for example, all the changes in CrossEPG work on the Solo, except that the download has to occur on the primary tuner as it is the only one (unless you were to plug in a USB tuner stick).

The reason I mentioned the Solo2 is because that is the receiver Hairybadger is using, not because it is a later receiver.

Ok, I accept that the changes are across all receivers but as you've said, some of the developments are only applicable to boxes other than a simple single tuner receiver. Don't get me wrong, I like the VIX image and wouldn't easily be persuaded to change to another.

Given that some changes are only available to multiple tuner, more powerful boxes, I can see why I can't detect a difference readily. (I really can't see what changes it's made to CrossEPG) Are you then saying that it's not possible to only release a new image for Solo2, Uno, Duo, Ultimo etc and that by the nature of the software architecture a new image has to function on all VU+ receivers? I admit I could easily disregard an upgrade and that's probably the best 'Luddite' route I could take in the future. I'm not against change and development but surely there's a point beyond which the Solo hardware can't readily cope.

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
Are you then saying that it's not possible to only release a new image for Solo2, Uno, Duo, Ultimo etc and that by the nature of the software architecture a new image has to function on all VU+ receivers?
There is only one image code base. It is the build process that compiles that code for each individual box. Anyway if you don't keep your image up to date you miss out on the most important thing and that is bug fixes. Sometimes things that you don't even realize. Like, for example, if the spinner comes up for 10 seconds, and then there is an upgrade that stops this. You probably don't notice it is fixed, but the user experience is improved.

Pheonix

Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
dreambox 7020
My Location
uk
I finally decide to bite the bullet and install the latest image, and what happens when I try to download it?

I think it's a sign.... :)

That was just a corrupt count file on the server and is no way related to the image, we had to wait for the one system admin who has access to correct it, but i did post direct links to the images and posted a announcement about it on the twitter feed.

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
That was just a corrupt count file on the server and is no way related to the image, we had to wait for the one system admin who has access to correct it, but i did post direct links to the images and posted a announcement about it on the twitter feed.
I appreciate it was noting to do with the image :-) I'm happy to install it now I've let others play Guinea pig.... Although it'll have to wait until I have the time and energy to reconfigure everything seeing as I won't be able to restore settings as before :-)

But: seriously thanks to all those involved for your efforts, you've created a great image. I'm especially looking forward to having blindscan which is something from my openbox that I've been really missing, and which has been worked on for the solo2 by huevos :-)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
er, is it dead, Jim?

From the Twitter feed:
Sorry but we have decided to call it a day and end Development of OpenViX Zeus at build 023, there will be no more updates

Captain Jack

Burnt out human
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
See signature
My Location
North Somerset
:O and I just upgraded to Zeus today.... Oh well...

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
:O and I just upgraded to Zeus today.... Oh well...
I held off and held off because I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of reentering the settings by hand..... I'm glad to see that my procrastination has finally paid off :)

hairybadger

Bricoleur
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
see sig
My Location
I guess we go back to the old version then?
Depends on whether they're going to start providing updates for the old version again. My installation does pretty much everything I need, it just doesn't have blindscan. I'm loath to go to another image: am happy with OpenViX and don't much fancy learning a new one. The only other image I have any experience with is the one that the Solo2 came with, and to be honest that stayed on for less than a day....

Huevos

Satellite Freak
Reaction score
My Satellite Setup
My Location
38.5ºN, 0.5ºW
I held off and held off because I didn't want to go through the rigmarole of reentering the settings by hand..... I'm glad to see that my procrastination has finally paid off :)
Just upgrade to 023. Best image ever.

sonnetpete

Reaction score
Website
wordpress.com
My Satellite Setup

My Location
Normandy, France
Is this Zeus 023 available via the receiver (i.e. a software upgrade) or does it mean a download then flashing via USB stick.....and if so will it need setting up from scratch again after?